Beiträge von PhantomSens

To be able to help we will need to know a few things about the system.

Was the drive wiped prior to install, or was the OMV attempted install on an existing OS?

How old is the SSD? Were other SSD/HDD drives attached during the install?

What motherboard, make and model? Are there other installed cards, if so what? It may not make a difference but in the BIOS were the serial ports disabled?

My feelings though are the SSD may be failing.

The only thing I come up with is by IP or Hostname, though I did not see anything in the Samba docs that would restrict users by the IP or Hostname they connect from.

Yet it would make sense there should be some way to do it.

Learning permissions, privileges, ACL's and other access methods may be easy for some hard for others. I've read, watched videos, played with and still feel I barely understand basic linux permissions, from file, directory, user, group, and how each interacts.

I feel it is like a child learning to walk. As children we watched our family and most everyone do it, we fell on our butts many times, we never gave up and learned how it was done. The key is we never gave up. So we just have to keep trying and never give up.

Building a GUI to do what is done at the CLI can be tricky. And once the GUI is done it still may not do what the user expects or was looking for.

An off the wall example. Think of the GUI as a home and the CLI as the local big building supply store. I can use any of the pieces from the building supply to build my home. (CLI to build GUI) And when I'm done building I have my house (the GUI). But oh, now I want to add a deck, back to the building supply (the CLI), and build some more and make changes to the house (the GUI). Or I could build the deck (the CLI) next to the house and not make changes to it (let GUI alone). So the goal is to satisfy as many as possible and allow others to make custom changes as they need. Though doing custom work may not be easy or even possible.

I keep reading and playing to learn more.

So I believe Volker has done a very good job building a very usable and reliable NAS for many users.

There are positives and negatives to both.

If you use a software raid, the software could be installed on another available machine, if the first machine failed, the raid could then be recovered/restarted. Though a software raid will use system resources and will/may slow the system down.

If you use a good hardware raid, which does it's own processing, it will free system resources and should be faster than a software raid. Though if the raid card fails it may take longer to get the raid back online, unless a spare raid card is on hand.

Which one is better? Only your use requirements can determine that.

About running things as root. One of the warnings NOOB's are usually taught is NOT to log on as root and run things. The same for Windows as Administrator. Simply because of what can be done to the system. So in my opinion the fewer things running as root the better and the better it is for system security.

The more value placed on the data the better security has to be. Compare it to a home or a bank's security. Since the Dev's can not know how OMV will be used - from personal to business - the value and possible required security of the the stored data - it would seem to me they should make OMV as secure as possible.

Can't help much with the SMART issues, sorry. I agree though there should be a way to undo what was done.

As for drives for NAS use I would suggest those designed for NAS use, like the WD red. From what I understand the greens are really made for desktop use and have a 3yr warranty while the reds have a 5yr.

Good luck!

So we can help;

What kind of drive is being used as the OMV system drive? Should be an HDD or SSD no USB sticks. See my signature for why.

Are you doing an upgrade from 0.4 to 0.5 or are you installing from an ISO?

What if any errors are shown when the system crashes?

When the system crashes does it freeze, attempt to reboot, shutdown.

By backup are you referring to backing up the OMV system drive or the data drives?

To backup the system drive we recommend Clonezilla. The data drives, there are several options from the OMV usb-backup plugin to rsysnc and other numerous other backup programs.

If we are going to further discuss backup we really need to create or add on to an existing topic.

Yes I agree, and if it were to be implemented I see it at some time in the future. Volker is quite busy right now.

What would be nice though would be a log out pop up that reminds you that there have been changes made to the configuration and they have not been applied, and prompt you to apply or abandon the changes.