Posts by james_h

I have always had the variable set RPCMOUNTDOPTS="-p 32767" in /etc/default/nfs-kernel-server to allow me to define the NFS port and allow it though a firewall.

I updated OMV today and it seems every time I make a change to an NFS share now, the /etc/default/nfs-kernel-server file is overwritten back to default and I loose my static port.

I tried to stop root over writing the file #chattr +i /etc/default/nfs-kernel-server but the GUI throws an error with this set.

If I administer my shares from CLI, I presume that OMV wont overwrite the file? Or is there another way to fix this?

Thanks, that doesnt show the large usage I am seeing - looks normal:

My OMV filesystem has grown to 25GB, it is usually about 8GB.

How can I work out what is taking the extra? I presume plex has something to do with it but can pinpoint it.

I worked round this issue by setting up my Raspberry Pi as a NUT Server over SNMP / IP, i then used the NUT Package in my pfSense Router as a client and configured OMV Nut Client in the CLI.

All devices now see the change in UPS states. OMV and pfSense shutdown properly with the NUT Server (pi) shutting down cleanly last.

It all works great. It would be even better if the OMV GUI could be made to work over IP as a remote and display information similar to pfSense.

Is it possible for OMV to either get UPS information from my APC UPS over the Ethernet or to get information from a Master controller on the Network?

I am thinking the answer is no and I must use USB or serial?

I just assigned something totally different 10.10.10.10 and 10.10.20.10 I seem to remember to the "real" OMV interfaces. This was the only was I could get it to work.
    Once you do this, inside virtualbox you can assign interfaces to the virtual machine and then when you load your pfsense ISO, assign them as interfaces.

This is easily done, I used to have mine setup like this with pfsense. I actually assigned an IP address with the OMV physical additional cards, just a random address not in any of my subnets. This then allowed me to assign LAN interfaces in virtualbox.
    I actually moved away from this setup and put my pfsense on bare metal, I have over a year of uptime no issues. When I ran it virtual it sometimes got a bit flakey and I had to get the wife to reboot OMV as I was away a lot. This was in OMV 0.5 though.

Yep running a separate PC but it's only 18W and opens up a world of possibilities. I work with Cisco Routers and Switches in my job, pfSense can do everything they can but open source.
    Each to their own on the place to run the VPN server.
    I actually got fed up with ddwrt after running it on a Linksys router I flashed the firmware on it wasn't reliable so purchased a Buffalo top of the line SOHO router with Ddwrt factory installed. I found it just as flakey, it is now used as an expensive (£110) Access Point which it does very well (although multi SSID and VLAN tagging doesn't work properly). I used ddwrt for at least 2 years before giving up, shame as it has such possibilities.

Run pfSense as a Router and you will never look back, it is has as many features than all the expensive commercial grade equipment but is open source. On a Dual Atom board my VPN throughout is fantastic. I would always run a VPN on the perimeter firewall opposed to NATing a port to your LAN for the VPN session.
    I used to use ddwrt and found the DDNS in-reliable. Since moving to pfSense 2 years ago I have never not been able to hit my network.

Thanks for the reply. I would t know where to start. Perhaps I will move plex to a VM so it can use a separate NIC. I suppose the downside will be the transcoding performance which is awesome on bare metal.

I have just setup a managed switch to allow VLANs in my home network. I now have trusted and untrusted VLANs, no longer allowing guests access to my core LAN.

I run Plex on my OMV which is on my core LAN. Is there any way to route Plex traffic (incoming port 32400) out of a separate NIC and into my DMZ. I have everything else behind my pfSense firewall, the only ports open are for Plex and OpenVPN. I would like Plex to be on a separate LAN and don't really want my whole OMV box in the DMZ with all my personal data stored there.

So I tried everything from around the forums with regard to this issue, including both of the above. I succeeded in totally screwing up my installation.

Luckily for Backups / Clones, I re-instated 0.5 and tried a few more times. The only way I got his to work was to uninstall all plugins and omv-extras.

I then upgraded to 1.1 before re-installing the plugins.

I nearly have this working properly now with plex and virtualbox and am experimenting with the backup feature which is the reason I wanted to upgrade.

Hi,

I tried to upgrade from latest 0.5 to Version 1.

The upgrade has failed. First major issue to overcome is no network.

Tried:

# /etc/init.d/networking restart

I get failed to open statefile /run/network/ifstate: no such file or directory

Any help appreciated.