Posts by JohnDriessen

Yes I could reorganize / lower the number of shares so that they are on a higher level in the directorytrees but that means that I cannot use the webgui to arrange (different) access + acls on the lower (sub-directory levels).:| I prefer to use the WebGUI over the CLI for that. Also more shares mean that you can accommodate finetuned shares over SMB / NFS etc for the users in my family.

Apart from that the problem did not occur in the past when I had the same number of shares. So my question is (regardless of the number of shares) what is causing this, and how can I still make it work.:/

If OMV5 is allowing only a limited number of shared folders, that's in fact OK, but I have not read this somewhere, so I would guess that I could use this facility even if I would create many more shares. (Which I do not intend to do. ;))

When I go the Shared Folder section to maintain the shared folders (i.e. create, change, delete), it takes forever to load the list of shares I have created. Although I have a lot of them (126), it looks like the time it takes to load the list seemed to be increasing rapidly.

SInce the last few days the list of shares does not show up anymore. I only receive messages like 'an error has occurred' and 'communication failure'. So not really a satisfying answer.

As a result of that (at least it appears to me as being a result of that) editing the list of Rsync tasks (local only, I don't use remotes), SMB/CIFS shares etc, (where-ever a shared folder is needed) the dropdownboxes are not being populated from the shared folders but only the errormessage 'communication failure' is displayed.

I have been running OMV (first 4, later 5 as a sole system on USB and now 5 as a VM under Proxmox) for some years now, but since a few months the shared folder issue started.

When I started using OMV5 under Proxmox there was no issue although I had the same number of shared folders.

Is there a solution for this so that I can really work with OMV5 again?

Some more background.

- I run Docker and Portainer (under OMV4 I only ran Docker) and the docker installation path is not on the OMV5-boot-disk but from the start on a separate directory on an other disk (using absolute path). All dockers installed are also using absolute paths to locations not on the OMV5 boot-disk. (installed via templates and previously via docker-compose v2)

- The host PC on which Proxmox runs has several USB-disks attached, which are managed via the OMV5-VM under LVM2 (ext4) as they were created in the past under the OMV4 physical machine.

As Proxmox is not really able to mount LVM2-logical volumes / filesystems from scratch, I have left this within the OMV5-VM. I do not yet want to go through the large effort of copying (syncing) the contents of the logical volumes to ext4 filesystems, format the disks to not contain lvm2 filesystems anymore and then sync them back to be able to mount them in Proxmox.

Is there anyone who can help me solving the problem with the shared folders?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Hi,

I installed the Duplicati container in Portainer (release 1.23.1) as shown in Technodad Life's video (the video was created in february (2020)).

Everything worked out fine (for more than a week).
    But then a few days ago a new version of Portainer was released; 1.23.2. This new release was automatically updated via the Ouroboros container (which I installed a few days after Duplicati with an different video from Technodad Life about DockStart). This new Portainer release now seems to have broken the Duplicati container. Removing the Duplicati container and reinstall (again using the same video) did not work. (I tried "Reset perms" etc, but no luck).Portainer is not able anymore to install the Duplicati plug-in.

I did not yet write down the error message I received from Portainer, but I'll do it the next try.

Is this a common problem with this new release of Portainer? How to fix this? And are more containers impacted?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi,

I have installed Proxmox 6.1.1 on a desktop ("the server") and created a VM in which I installed OMV5.

In the Proxmox-GUI (which I run from a laptop) I can see the non-virtual disks as they are listed in the Disk section of the node. The physical disks are external harddisks connected via USB to the server.

I have a few questions now:

1) Can you indicate how I can make these disks (and/or the directories on these disks I want to share) available for the OMV5-VM? Preferably via the GUI of course (examples?)

I read through the proxmox guides and I'm totally lost on how to do this. As said I already have data on the external harddisks and don't want to use virtual-drives if not needed. (That also would consume a lot of time since I need to move all directories and files from the external physical disks to virtual-disks)

2) In the directorystructure on the external physical harddisks I have stored several ISOs of Operating Systems of which I would like to create VMs. However I can not browse (from the GUI) to these directories to upload them into the space where Proxmox can use it for installation in a VM.

Can you show how to accomplish this (preferably via examples)?

Thanks,

John.

Thanks for your prompt reply, gderf.
    So if I understand correctly:
    - I should use the actual path of the share in scripts instead, OR
    - create a symlink and use that in the script.

The OMV5 GUI still uses the 'sharedfolder names' defined in the services (f.e. RSync (source and destination), FTP (shared folder), NFS (shared folder) , SMB / CIFS (shared folder), etc)
    I tried to find /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DISKNAME/SHARENAME but could not find these. Only the actual paths.
    So I guess that next to creating sharedfolders in the sharedfolder tab I should create symbolic links for each of these to have references to the sharedfolders in a 'short way'?

Hi,

I am trying to update a script to access my sharedfolders.
    In OMV4 I could just find them in /sharedfolders.
    However in OMV5 (although I have created sharedfolders in the GUI) they are no longer shown in /sharedfolders. (also not when using ls - al)
    Where have the sharedfolders gone?
    Thanks for you support.

John

Hi,

I have freshly installed OMV5.
    I have created several users and added them to the "sambashare" group.
    I have created sharedfolders and granted access to them to the users.
    In the SMB/CIFS section I have added the shares for sharing over the network (containing Android, Linux and Windows devices)
    Allthough they all can see the list of available shares in the Explorer on the other devices, not all users are able to get access to them when clicking on the shares they should have access to.

In the log I see the following error:
    smbd_audit: change_to_user_Internal: chdir_current_service() failed.

(By the way I had the same problem in OMV4 for the last couple of months, before that everything worked fine, but didn't do anything with it yet, since I was waiting for OMV5 to become stable to switch to that.)
    I am sure the users that have this problem use the correct credentials to access the share.

Can someone help me out, so that all the users can again access the shares that they should have access to.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    John

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your answer, Iĺl look into it.
    Should I install Debian 10 first and PVE 6.x on top of it or is installing PVE 6.x solely a better idea when I want to run OMV 5 on it? So I guess PVE replaces Virtual Box for that matter.
    Best Regards,

John

Hi,

I'm running OMV4 on Debian 9 (one disk install) currently, which is always running.
    I would like to go to Debian 10 om my computer and use OMV5 (or if not stable enough yet OMV4) in Virtual Box as a Production NAS.
    Would that be wise to do ?
    And how can I arrange this to work correctly with the (non-virtual) disks on my computer? (For example to be able to rsync the shared folders on the non-virtual disks to the backup disks (also non-virtual))

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Since OMV5 is still under development, I would like to install OMV4 under Debian 10. My Debian 9 installation with OMV4 just died. (At least the GUI does not work anymore)
    Following the install guide for "OMV4 under Debian 9" installation of OMV4 under Debian 10 fails due to unavailability of packages (f.e. monit)
    Is there a guide available on how to install OMV4 under Debian 10?
    If not I'll install OMV4 under Debian 9 again.

Thanks.

Hi all,

I'm currently running OMV4 under Debian 9. (I first installed Debian 9.9 and then installed OMV4 in it.)

I am wondering if could create an ISO of my current OMV4 system and make that available to VirtualBox.
    I think about switching from running OMV under Debian to running OMV in a VirtualBox installed under Debian 9, without having to reinstall and configure everything over again.
    Could I use the backup that is scheduled on a daily basis from the backup-plugin which I are created by using the fsarchiver method, or should I create in a different way?

Thanks in advance for your support.

John.

Hi all,

Since a few days the OMV system won't shutdown anymore.
    I have scheduled a shutdown every day, but it doesn't go down anymore, and the NAS is also not reachable anymore until I hard restart it.
    Currently the message that appears to be starting the mess is:
    "systemd-journald[386] Failed to send WATCHDOG=1 notification message: connection refused"
    After that a (infinite) loop starts with the following message
    "systemd-journald[386] Failed to send WATCHDOG=1 notification message: Transport endpoint is not connected"
    Anyone an idea how to resolve this? ||

The restart is scheduled in the Energy settings tab.

Thanks for your help.