Posts by test011a

No problem using docker to run Plex. It would take quite some time to build a docker-compose file to suit all your needs, but I am sure anyone can do it.

I was wondering how can I have a tab/link on the OMV left panel to PMS page?
    Or anyway to make a custom link on the OMV left panel?

You know we used to have a Plex menu page on the OMV panel if you use plex plug-in.

There are no arm64 plex binaries yet. I am also fairly certain armhf dockers will run on arm64 systems even if the host doesn't have armhf architecture enabled. A lot of arm64 docker images are also called aarch64.

I thought there has been arm64 plexmediaserver binary for sometime.

Plex Readme (the post was updated on July, 2018)

Code
    Plex Installation
    You have to install the Plex Media Server package manually or just enable the package repository (not available ATM). Please read the following document. All Linux (Ubuntu) instructions apply to you. To decide whether you need the ARMv7 or the ARMv8 package, just run this command on your device in a terminal: dpkg --print-architecture and it will tell you, armhf requires the ARMv7 package and arm64 the ARMv8 one.

I have installed ARMv8 version of Plex server (plexmediaserver_1.15.2.793-782228f99_arm64.deb) manually, and it seems working well, although I haven't tested it extensively yet. I am on ayufan's stretch-openmediavault-rock64-0.7.14-1081-arm64.img.xz

for OMV plugin for plexmediaserver, I needed armhf archtecture installed first as plexmediaserver-installer:armhf seems a mandate.

OMV plugin always grabs plexmediaserver_armel or armhf version, so I had to installed arm64 version over the plugin (--force-all) manually, which breaks OMV plugin for plexmediaserver.

1. Is it not true arm64 version of plexmediaserver?
    2. Is there any way to have both plexmediaserver_arm64 installed and OMV plugin for plexmediaserver?

Good to know rc.local works by just creating it. Some Stretch distribution has systemd service unit file to run rc.local (because it doesn’t run by itself anymore), some doesn’t. That’s current situation in Raspian land any way.
    I have several scripts run by systemd unit files from Pi’s, like Pushbulleting IP to me when booted and yes I currently have them on Rock64 and they work. I prefer rc.local way though, it’s simpler.

You can add this command to /etc.rc.local to be executed on every reboot.

In my setup /etc/rc.local is missing. I've heard about it being deprecated, not sure about the alternative way on armbian.
    Should I write a systemd unit to run something like rc.local?

systemd unit file. "After=network.target" was chosen for no reason, probably there is a better place for it.

Let's call this stopkeylog.service. copy this to /etc/systemd/system/
    "systemctl enable stopkeylog.service" to install.

stopkeylog

Bash
    #!/bin/sh
    echo 4 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk

Yes. It's a bit too much for a single line of code.

Surprisingly stretch-openmediavault-rock64-0.6.44-239-armhf.img on eMMC boots fine.
    I used eMMC-USB adapter and Etcher to burn eMMC with the image.

I guess the Changelog on the Release page is somewhat misleading whatever the actual meaning is.

Code
    0.6.x
    0.6.57: Make HDMI a first audio device for rockpro64,
    0.6.57: Remove some of the failures from bootlog,
    0.6.57: Temporarily disable GPU,
    0.6.56: Remove dma plat init to have bigger buffers everywhere :)
    0.6.55: Make rockchip phy drivers to be built-in,
    0.6.54: Rebase 4.4 kernel on rockchip-linux/kernel@6a9bb29,
    0.6.53: Support eMMC booting,

You can clone your installation on SD card to eMMC

Thank you for the outline I was so lost.

It's good to know I can use Etcher to burn an image to eMMC. I have also purchased USB-eMMC adapter hoping it would, but was not sure because at Pine64 forum they usually talk about a jumper trick to prevent eMMC booting and then DD cloning after SD booting.

Just to check I understood this right,

- using Etcher to burn eMMC with current 0.6.44 stable image is not yet bootable right? (The changelog states eMMC booting is supported with 0.6.53 or newer)

- apt-get upgrade and DD cloning would enable me to replace SD with eMMC at some point in the future but not now, - cf. when new stable version is released - even if I started with 0.6.44 SD)

- Since latest pre-release(0.6.57) is not functioning('screen symptoms'), there is no (easy) way to use eMMC with OMV images for Rock64 for now.

Is this all correct?

And I am testing apt upgrade for fun, to see what happens, It's odd that bellow command stated on the ayufan-rock64 release page only seems to update arm64 components even though I am using stretch-openmediavault-rock64-0.6.44-armhf.img.xz with pre-release repository enabled. Anyway it fails to boot with "screen symptoms" after bellow command.

Code
    apt-get install linux-rock64

I just received Rock64. (OrangePi Zero Plus was out of stock in my area)

I am too a convert from Rpi 3B+ land after reading tkaiser's comprehensive post of comparison/recommendation of low power-consuming SBCs. Thank you. All I can say is "I didn't know better"

I appreciate all the effort putting into the making of the image and I can confirm that the stable image (0.6.44) works.
    (ssh works normally, but when I setup a keyboard and HDMI connection to Rock64, some message appears every time I press a key and forces a linefeed, not sure this is ok)

I have a couple of questions if somebody can help please,

Q1.
    If I want to use eMMC someday - I purchased it thinking it is just a faster SD, not exactly knowing what I would face - do I have to wipe out current SD with newer (newer than 0.6.53) image to copy it to eMMC or is there any way to upgrade from current 0.6.44 stable image?

Q2.
    With the lastest image 0.6.57, my Rock64 shows first initial screen without problem then within a second or two, broken screen appears (with usual boot messages but various colored dots, lines all over the screen) and booting process stops.

I am not trying to use 0.6.57, but I am just worrying about the faulty hardware (various dots all over the screen may mean screen memory is overwritten by bug or may be a hardware failure) Is this normal output with 0.6.57 pre-release?