Posts by robster

Thanks for your help with this.

I updated the fstab to the following: 192.168.20.22/NUC-backups /media/NUCBackups cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=rob,noperm,rw 0 0 but still get mount.cifs: bad UNC (192.168.20.22/NUC-backups) as the error. If I enter 192.168.20.22 into my web browser it takes me to the OMV admin panel so that's the correct address.

What else might it be do you think?

UPDATE: Here is the share setup in OMV:

I have an update here. I have it setup as above, and have been away a month or so. On my return I noted my OMV share wasn't auto mounting.
    When I run sudo mount -a I get the following error: mount.cifs: bad UNC (openmediavault.local/NUC-backups)

I have setup as so:

fstab has: openmediavault.local/NUC-backups /media/NUCBackups cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,uid=rob,noperm,rw 0 0

/root/.smbcredentials is:

Code
    username=rob
    password=yourpassword
    domain=WORKGROUP

chmod is done, I just can't figure it out. I'm a little lost perhaps in understanding what openmediavault.local/NUC-backups is pointing to and how Ubuntu is meant to interpret that (I'm pretty new at all of this).

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you

Hi all,

I have 4 x drives setup into 2 x RAID 1 arrays.
    I also have a small USB stick drive that OMV is booting from.
    I'm using a HP Proliant server.

If that little USB stick drive dies, will I lose all access to the data or will I be able to re-install OMV on another drive and then give that new install access to the drives again so I can get the data?

Thanks so much...

Hi all,

I have a mounted SMB on my linux box and have copied a bunch of files from my local machine to the mounted OMV share.
    I then tried to delete a folder and its contents and it disappeared. When I re-enter or hit refresh though, the folder and files appear again.

What could this be and how can I rectify it as I'm trying to cleanup a massive set of files / folders?

EDIT: I do have full read / write permissions on all folders / shares. I know this as I double checked and I copied those files to that share.

Thanks so much...

EDIT: if I connect via OSX I can delete files and folders. If I connect via Ubuntu I can't. Same user account on both machines. Does that help identify the issue?

Thank you as I'm quite new at this. I appreciate your answer.

I had thought in my mind I would be able to setup some kind of VPN link to the server so that if say, I'm in Europe for work and need to connect back to the office server to get files I can simply mount a SMB/CIFS share as usual (with a dedicated IP or something?) and see it like a normal (and maybe a little slow) drive.

Can this not be done?

This is an excellent reply. I've gone through those steps and I THINK it's working. I particularly like the credentials file being kept separately. Very nice.
    I'll give it a thorough run down and report back. Just wanted to say thanks. This should be pinned or something for beginners.

An update to this, I seem to be getting somewhere. I've changed it to:

Code
    sudo mount -t cifs //openmediavault.local/nuc-backups /media/OMVSmall -o username=user1

... and am now getting this error:

Code
    mount error(16): Device or resource busyRefer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

That has to be an improvement I'm guessing but I have no idea how to deal with a busy device :-) Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks a tonne..

Hi all,

I hit install, it installed, gave some error, then reloaded the web interface.

Now I can't log in via SSH, the web interface, from nautilus... I am locked out.

What could installing that plugin do to kick me out and more importantly, how can I get back in?

Thanks so much

EDIT: UPDATE so nobody wastes time on this. It turns out I had my router reserving the IP address for the OMV machine. I had entered the wrong MAC address into the router but it never bothered it in the past (it just didn't work). After the webdav plugin it was the router that was stopping access. I entered the correct MAC address into the reserved IP area and I had access again. Strange but there you go. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

To add to this, in the end after even more troubles that occurred after my above post I burned the OMV ISO to a DVD and used that to install from and installed to a USB stick and it's been fine ever since. It's an option if you have that ability (DVD). Hope that helps.

Hi all,

I have got my OMV up and running and have the SMB/CIFS turned on.
    From Ubuntu files / nautilus I can see the shares and double click to enter the share, enter my credentials and I'm in.

I want to use Duplicati on my Ubuntu box to send backups each day to the OMV discs so I need the shares to auto mount on login / boot up.
    I have to say I'm totally lost. Is there a newby friendly way to help set this up?
    I keep seeing things like:

Code
    sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.20.20/srv/dev-disk-by-label-SmallStorage/NUC-Backups /media/OMVSmall -o username=user1

and I get errors like:

Code
    mount error(2): No such file or directory
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

I really am stumped and hope someone can help out. I can guarantee my password is correct for user1.

Anything I can research I'd be grateful for the info. Thank you

Hi all,

I am using the latest build as of today and I'm having an issue.

I've unplugged my actual hard drives to ensure the installer only sees the source and destination USB drives.
    I have a USB that I have the installer on.
    I have another USB that I want to install to.

When it gets to the step that I choose where to install to, I choose the
    blank USB ( without a doubt I'm choosing the right one ) and then it
    gives the error that "Partition(s) 1 on /dev/sda have been written, but
    we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change" or words to that
    effect.

Can anyone recommend any solution?

I have tried multiple target drives and the same problem happens.

Using a HP Reliant MicroServer.

Thanks so much

EDIT: For anyone in the future, I simply swapped the drives over. So the installer was in a lower numbered port than the destination. It then worked. Strange but there it is.

I am using the latest build as of today and I'm having the same issue.
    I've unplugged my actual hard drives.
    I have a USB that I have the installer on.
    I have another USB that I want to install to.

When it gets to the step that I choose where to install to, I choose the blank USB ( without a doubt I'm choosing the right one ) and then it gives the error that "Partition(s) 1 on /dev/sda have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change" or words to that effect.

Can anyone recommend any solution?

Using a HP Reliant MicroServer.

EDIT: For anyone in the future, I simply swapped the drives over. So the installer was in a lower numbered port than the destination. It then worked. Strange but there it is.