Posts by blindguy

The 410 can't do JODB, you have to format each drive as a RAID0 and then once you install OMV you can then use the to create an array.

I'm not sure what will happen if you lose a drive as the HD Raid will think it lost a RAID0 and the OS will think it lost a drive from an array.

What I do is first I fail the drive in the array and then I remove it and then I shred it and then I assemble using the new one. You may need to change the SDC and MD, int he example below I remove C and add Q to md127 with a and b already in it.

mdadm --fail /dev/md127 /dev/sdc
    mdadm --remove /dev/md127 /dev/sdc
    shred -v -n 1 /dev/sdc
    mdadm --assemble /dev/md127 /dev/sd[abq] --verbose --force

If you need to unmount and stop the array:
    umount /dev/md127
    mdadm --stop /dev/md127

Good luck, please be aware that you can lose all of your raid if not done properly.

Can you elaborate what/where is your problem ?
    Are you trying to install from USB to hard disk or form xx to USB ?

I am trying to install the OMV OS onto a USB device. I am using the iLO and that allows me to select a image file and use it as a boot device. So I boot using the OMV and I am able to install OMV and it gets all the way to the end of the installer and then complains about GRUB and asks me to chose which device to install GRUB, I select the device and it appears to work fine but then after reboot I get to the grub rescuse screen and can't boot.

If second option:
    -Have you tried to install to hard disk ?

Yes I installed to one of the 8 hard drives and that is fine. I event tried using clonezilla and cloning a working copy and then put it on a SSD connected via USB and that failed to boot as well.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to install OMV4 on my DL-360 G7 using the internal USB or SD Card reader and after the installer finishes it never installs Grub properly. I tried the internal USB slot as well as the external USB using both USE cards as well as a SATA drive connected via a USE connector.

Has anyone ever had a problem installing via USB on a G7 ?

1. In your 2.1 build, you physically added a drive to PC.
    - At that point, was the drive automatically added as a spare in your RAID5 array? (Yes / No?)
    (OR)
    2. When you clicked on the "grow" button (from what you said in your post) the drive was integrated into the array (not as a spare) and the array rebuilt to include the new drive.
    - If #2, above, is what happens when clicking on the "grow button, is there some other provision to add a drive as a spare?

1 - No, nothgin happened automatically. I had to press the button to grow and delected the new drive and it was NOT added as a spare it was added as an additional drive to the array

2 - Yes when I clicked Grow the drive was added to the array as an additional drive, NOT a spare and the array rebuilt and included the new drive.

I let it grow for about 24 hours and kept checking via cat /proc/mdstat and once it was complete I went to the filesystem tab and then press the button to resize the filesystem and that process took another hour or so and once I was done everythgin worked fine.

I went ahead and did a clonezilla image of my current setup.

I then formatted and reinstalled OMV 2.1 and now the drive is in the process of resizing properly. I have about 24 hours until it is finished.

Not sure what changed in 3.X but the removal of this feature that worked in 2.1 seems strange to me.

I went ahead and did a clonezilla image of my current setup.

I then formatted and reinstalled OMV 2.1 and now the drive is in the process of resizing properly. I have about 24 hours until it is finished.

Not sure what changed in 3.X but the removal of this feature that worked in 2.1 seems strange to me.

I setup OMV 2.1 in a VM and the process worked fine.

I had a 4 disk RAID and I hit the grow button, I saw the progress go by and then when it was done I saw it added the drive properly not as a spare and I was able to go to the file sysetm and resize that properly.

Did something change in OMV 3.X or is it broke?

Back on topic, I setup OMV 2.1 in a VM and the process worked fine. I had a 4 disk RAID and I hit the grow button, I say the progress and then when it was done I saw it added the drive properly and I was able to go to the file sysetm and resize that properly.

Did something change in OMV 3.X or is it broke?

Did all that stuff and wiped the drive and still no luck.

I have used OMV for many years and over the years I have grown my RAID by using the Grow button.

When I add the drive, OMV even pops up a button that says 'After the RAID has been grown you can resize the containing file system' but the RAID is never grown it is added as a spare.

You used to be able to see the progress % as it was rebuilding with the new drive. Now adding a new drive as a spare seems to take 12 seconds.

I think something in OMV has changed.

Trying to grow my RAID by adding a hard drive.

I tried adding a drive and it is now listed as a spare and I can't grow the RAID.

I used the Grow button in OMV .

How do I tell it it is not a spare but it is part of the RAID?

Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
    md125 : active raid5 sdj[0] sdl[3] sdk[2] sdi[1]
    5860148736 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]

md126 : active raid5 sdb[0] sdm[5] sdo[4] sdd[3] sda[2] sdc[1]
    14650675200 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [6/6] [UUUUUU]

md127 : active raid5 sdn[4](S) sde[0] sdh[3] sdg[2] sdf[1]
    11720661504 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]

Version : 1.2
    Creation Time : Mon Feb 22 17:29:25 2016
    Raid Level : raid5
    Array Size : 11720661504 (11177.69 GiB 12001.96 GB)
    Used Dev Size : 3906887168 (3725.90 GiB 4000.65 GB)
    Raid Devices : 4
    Total Devices : 5
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Tue May 2 12:08:29 2017
    State : clean
    Active Devices : 4
    Working Devices : 5
    Failed Devices : 0
    Spare Devices : 1

Layout : left-symmetric
    Chunk Size : 512K

Name : zed:raid01 (local to host zed)
    UUID : 2a30105c:f21d2d48:6f0b8e8a:8c18e750
    Events : 9720

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
    0 8 64 0 active sync /dev/sde
    1 8 80 1 active sync /dev/sdf
    2 8 96 2 active sync /dev/sdg
    3 8 112 3 active sync /dev/sdh

4 8 208 - spare /dev/sdn

I tried adding a drive and it is now listed as a spare and I can't grow the RAID.

md127 : active raid5 sdn[4](S) sde[0] sdh[3] sdg[2] sdf[1]
    11720661504 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]

How do I tell it it is not a spare but it is part of the RAID?

In the driver config section try to add

Code
    pollinterval = 10

I had some problems with my Eaton 3S 550 because the default pollinterval was too short.

So far so good. No alerts and the stats show up fine. Thanks for the note!

Any assistance is appreciated.

CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD

Connected via USB cable (I have swaped out three different cables)

Driver config:
    driver = usbhid-ups
    port = auto