Posts by blindguy

I'm not sure what the proper OMV way of doing it is, but I suspect you have to remove the filesystem first (but don't wipe it, unless you want to really do that), then unmount the device.

But I installed the usbmount package here and it handles all of this for me automatically, and cleanly. You may want to try that.

I would guess that since the plugin did not add it it wont delete it. I'll try that later thanks.

You might want to look into this topic.

Appreciate the note Famban but that is about mounting the FS. It is not mounted so that is fine, now I just need to delete it somehow.

I plugged in a USB drive and mounted the file system. After I was done with it I unmounted the file system but now I am unable to delete the file system from the file system tab and now I have a entry under file systems that is not a valid entry as the USB drive is no longer connected. I don't think this is affecting the server but I would still like to remove the entry. Any thoughts?

If your trying to make a physical box a VM then I would suggest just using clonezilla. Just back it up and then create a VM with the same size hard drive and use clonezill inside the VM to restore. Workes perfect and I use it all the time.

If you want to run OMV with one drive and partition it to allow you to create part of the Installation disk as storage read the post below:

Installation disk as storage - GRUB problem

Good luck.

As subzero suggested what I do is create the /media/XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXX/archive01/ folder and then I create a symlink to that putting the root into /media

In the example below I have a shared folder called archive01 that I have created a folder for and then setup the remoteshare plugin to mount to it and then I create the symlink so I can access the drive by simply using /media/archive01 instead of needing to go to /media/XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXX/archive01/ everytime.

ln -s /media/XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXX/archive01/ /media/

Thanks for the notes, appreciate any assistance. I checked on them and those are like $50 for the SD version. Also I have a G7 and everything I read says only a G8. Why would you put the slot in a G7 and not let me use it? Also I only got iLO 3 and it says requires iLO4.

I got HP Service Pack for ProLiant 2015.10.0 and flashed everything to the latest and greatest firmware. so things are up to date.

I was able to change the boot order in the BIOS so it may support it.

I'm gogin to do a bit more research before I spend the $50.

I'm trying to use a microSDcard slotted into a SDcard case thing and I can't event get the BIOS to see the SD card.

I know about not installing OMV on USB devices so if I can get it working with a $10 SD card it would be fine. I have antoehr server I use and I can backup the HP to that so if the SD card dies I just pop in another. That works fin if I can get it going with a $10 SD card. If I have to use the special $50 SD card that is not going to work at all. :)

I'm borrowing a few SD cards tomorrow, diffent brands and such and will let you know if any of them work.

So I found out the 410i RAID card that the DL360 has cannot do JPOD so I made each one a single raid 0 and then OMV can see them.

Next I need to get the internal SD card reader working so I can boot from the SD card and save a drive. Anyone got any experience geting a OS to boot from the internal SD card. I did some reading and it looks like there is a ESXi installer (haven't been able to downlaod it but they say it's out there) that can install to the drive but can I install OMV to the SD Card? I can't actually get the hardware to even see my sd card, but I get a new on on the way and will arrive tomorrow.

Update: I pluged in 3 of the nics and got one going. However the probelm I have now is that once OMV is installed, I can only see the one RAID array that I created to load the OMV OS on to. I can't even see any of the drives. Is thee somethign I have to do to allow OMV to access the RAID controller?

Just got a DL360 G7 and trying to install OMV but when it gets to the configure your network part it can see all four nics as Broadcom Corp NetXtreme II BCM5709 Gigabyte adapter but they all fail when trying to get IP and info via DHCP.

I can connect via iLO and I can see that everythign looks ok.

when I slide out the little system thinggie above the power button I can see that port 1 is green.

anyone got any thoughts? I know not too much details but that is all I got.

I was running 4 external USB 3TB drives as a RAID5 setup with OMV. It was not very fast and it was VERY touchy about the USB cables and power cables being plugged and if I rebooted it sometimes wanted to rebuild everything but it worked and OMV had no problem identifying the drives and setting up the RAID5.

It all boils down to what are you storing on this setup and how important is it for you? Is this mission critical data that you will be very upset if you lose it or is this a proof-of-concept box that you are building to play around with things.

I'm not sure of the ESXi ability to 'pass-thru' the USB connectivity but if ESXi can pass the USB thru to the proper OMV VM you should be 'ok' to get everything going.

I do agree with ShadowZero that I would recommend using local storage. I don't agree with hardware RAID controller being required. I have a 19 hard drives setup into 5 arrays all using software RAID and I have no problems with it. I do have a SAS controler but it does not have hardware RAID, just JBOD and OMV handles all my RAID setup.

I had the same problem and ended up figuring out how to install Mylar. You won't get a fancy MyLar icon in the OMV interface but here are my notes:

apt-get install python -y
    apt-get install python-cherrypy -y
    apt-get install git -y
    sudo git clone https://github.com/evilhero/mylar -b development /opt/Mylar
    You can start MyLar with
    python /opt/Mylar/Mylar.py -d

Mylar init.d Script
    +Create the default Mylar configuration file which the init.d script reads
    sudo nano /etc/default/mylar
    +Adjust these values as you see fit
    MYLAR_USER=mylar
    MYLAR_HOME=/opt/Mylar
    MYLAR_DATA=/opt/Mylar
    MYLAR_PORT=8090
    +Mylar has an init.d script included so copy that
    sudo cp /opt/Mylar/init-scripts/ubuntu.init.d /etc/init.d/mylar
    +Make the Mylar init.d script executable
    sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/mylar
    +Tell the system to use Mylar’s init.d defaults
    sudo update-rc.d mylar defaults
    +Now you can start Mylar
    sudo service mylar start

VMWare never really worked out for me in a home environment. At work where I could thru another 15K of hardware at it every couple of weeks it's fine and lets not even talk about VMWare licensing which is very confusing. Do you want vSphere or vCenter, do you also need vSphere or Horizon or Horizon6? Should you use Pivotal or Fusion? It get's real expensive real quick.

I used to running ESXi as my hypervisor and then ran OMV in a VM but I had problems as I had 4 hard drives connected via the on-board SATA connectors and I had to create some Raw Device Mappings (RDM) to get access to that hard drives via ESXi and it was a bit of a hack and never worked properly.

I'm sure it works fine for some folks, just not for me.

Good Luck!

I'm haveing a problem trying to upgrade. I keep gettting the following error:

The following packages will be upgraded:
    openmediavault-sensors
    1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    2 not fully installed or removed.
    E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock directory /var/cache/apt/archives/
    <<< *************************************

>>> *************** Error ***************
    Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing --auto-remove --allow-unauthenticated --show-upgraded --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" install openmediavault-sensors 2>&1': Reading package lists...

The following packages will be upgraded:
    openmediavault-sensors
    1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    2 not fully installed or removed.
    E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock directory /var/cache/apt/archives/
    <<< *************************************

>>> *************** Error ***************
    Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing --auto-remove --allow-unauthenticated --show-upgraded --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" install openmediavault-sensors 2>&1': Reading package lists...

Here's my notes:

1) When adding the postgresql plugin, I can't actually start it until I edit the /etc/sysctl.conf. Not sure why but maybe beacuse I'm using a VM
    with only 4gb of RAM? I added kernel.shmmax = 41943040 then I could enable postgresql

2) wget -O ttrss.tar.gz https://github.com/gothfox/Tin…RSS/archive/1.15.3.tar.gz does not work.
    To Fix I used:
    wget -O ttrss.tar.gz https://tt-rss.org/gitlab/fox/…repository/archive.tar.gz

3) mv Tiny-Tiny-RSS* ttrss - I cant find a file called Tiny-Tiny*

I got the The Tiny RSS installer page - gonna set it up, thanks for all the notes!!

I had a couple of hard drives start giving me general SMART errors so I pulled them and replaced them. However before I removed them, I did not tell OMV to stop monitoring them for SMART errors so now ever day I get a email telling me that "SMART error (FailedOpenDevice) detected on host: zed [zed.local]" for each device.

-------------------------
    This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

host name: zed
    DNS domain: local
    NIS domain: (none)

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon: Device: /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST2000DM001-1CH_W1E1FWN6 [SAT], unable to open device

For details see host's SYSLOG. You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.The original email about this issue was sent at Tue Jul 21 10:25:21 2015 MST Another email message will be sent in 24 hours if the problem persists.
    This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

host name: zed
    DNS domain: local
    NIS domain: (none)

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon: Device: /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_Maxtor_6H400F0_H8112VCH [SAT], unable to open device

For details see host's SYSLOG. You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.The original email about this issue was sent at Tue Jul 21 10:25:19 2015 MST Another email message will be sent in 24 hours if the problem persists.

Any thought on how I can remove these drives form monitoring? I don't have the drives any longer so I can't plug them in and them stop them.