Posts by MickBurke

That was it! Thanks so much for your prompt replies!! Looks like I'm set!

Now, since I was just rebuilding it, and my goal with using 4x was because I wasn't sure how to do it (or ANYTHING) with docker. If I do a quick rebuild with OMV5, get docker enabled and URBackup installed and running (which I managed to do on the first test), can I still find and use the 'mount point' from OMV?

All things being equal, I'd rather be on the latest version and start learning how to use docker...

Either way, thanks again for your help!

Thanks, as I recall from the last time I set it up, there was either a location in omv where you could see the label or a switch to turn on so you could see it, or somewhere in the properties of the disk or share or whatever... I thought I'd saved the info on where that is in my notes (as I'm the furthest thing from a competent linux guy) but I apparently did not.

If you decide to use UrBackup, the OMV server installation will attempt to put the UrBackup storage folder on your boot drive. It will be necessary to relocate the backup directory to your data drive, in a manner similar to what is shown below.
    (In my case, I dedicated a drive to testing client backups. )

Could you remind me how we get the disk-by-label value? I went thorough this the first time I setup, but forget where I found that value, just that I had to look for it or do something to be able to see it (I'm on OMV4). Thanks!

I'm trying to retire my old windows 2008R2 server, an got all the data moved. Worked out a few minor issues (had to enable "Store DOS Attributes"), and all seemed to work. Copying files form my PC or other locations worked fine...

But then I tried to move photos from my Dropbox synch (from my phone) to the NAS where I store all of them and I get a message asking "are you sure you want to copy this file without it's properties? The file filename.jpg has properties that can't be copied to the new location".

The file system is Ext4, which I thought was supposed to support ADS. Am I missing another setting?

So I've got a VM of open media vault 5, and used it to remote mount a share on a synology NAS share (It has FAR more capacity than the PC I'm using for OMV). I manage to get it connected, it creates the new shared folder under the share on the Synology (which seems to indicate the connection has the proper authentication to the Synology since it can create a folder / write there) but once I connect to the OMV share it creates, I can't write to it no matter what I do or how I authenticate. I ran the exact same process minus the remote mount creating a local share on one of the drives in the OMV PC, and I can write to that just fine. Just to be sure I also wrote to the SMB share on the synology using the same authentication as I setup in the remote mount on OMV, and that worked fine.

Any ideas where this might be going bad? Being able to share that capacity with the MUCH better interface and options of OMV would be really helpful.

Thanks for any input or ideas!

OK, so it sounds like I can't change it through open media vault itself? Which leaves wondering how it got turned on in the first place. It also leaves me stuck with it.

Thanks for your input...

So I've enabled notification on my OMV boxes, each set to notify ONLY for file system events. So I have two issues.
    First, one of the boxes actually emails notification when I log on. And the other notifies when space is below 80%.
    Of course, at 80% I still have 2TB free on that system, so I want to adjust that, and I don't need notification when I logon.

The problem though is that I don't see any way to adjust notifications, just turn them on or off, and I don't even see that for the logon notifications.

Am I missing something? How can I adjust these?

Thanks!

It's an omv 4 system and all up to date, but every time I click on File systems it pauses momentarily then comes up with an error:

"Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; df -PT '/srv/5b74a2ff-35c2-4717-8aa9-222768513278' 2>&1' with exit code '1': df: /srv/5b74a2ff-35c2-4717-8aa9-222768513278: Host is down"

This IS the OMV system I have that I installed remote mount on, so it may be the source of the problem, not sure if I created a remote mount that got removed while I was doing the initial testing, but I do have a functional remote mount so I know it works otherwise, and the NAS operates fine for everything else, but I can't see or edit the file systems.

I'm not competent with Linux, so if there's a command line solution please offer as much detail as you can.

Thanks for any help!!

resize the partion e.g. by using gparted.

OK, now the 6g partition is full again, so I need to figure out a solution if I'm going to use this. I tried to install gparted but of course there's no space to install now. Any easy way to clean up a bit so i can do that and try to resize?

Thanks again!

And this time when I tried to add the 4 intel gigabit nics (from the quad Nic), it set, but when I applied it it gave me an error:

"Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl start 'networking' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Job for networking.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status networking.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details."

Not sure what it's telling me...?

Thanks again guys!

Weird problem. I recently rebuilt my Dell Poweredge 840 omv4 sever. It's got its built in broadcom gigabit nic and an addin intel quad gigabit nic.

I tried to create a bond as I've done before and it failed, saying something about the bond having slaves, though I didn't note it as I thought I'd just checked something wrong and retrying would fix it... I saw that the bond was listed, but when I tried to save the settings it failed. I deleted the bond and today got back to it and when I went into the network settings to try to add the bond again, I hit add, select bond and the list of available nics appears. At the top of the list is 'bond0'. So OMV apparently thinks it's still there, even though it's not listed in the installed 'interfaces'.
    If I try to just create the bond again selecting all the available nics (other than the 'bond0') it lets me create it and then when i 'apply changes' it takes that and created bond1. Then I go in and enable ipv4 and set a static IP address and apply again and it sits at 'applying for about 30 seconds and then says 'error' An error has occurred. and then everything I do after that causes that error to come up until the it just goes off line.
    The attached terminal reports the bond couldn't be created because each of the nics are already in use and can't be enslaved.
    What is the easiest way to remove that bond0 so that I can retry it clean, or get it to show up in the list in OMV so I can just remove it in the web interface properly?

Any recommendations or input is appreciated!

Maybe, when I put it on my windows PC to make sure the entirety of the USB was available, it showed what I assume was the boot partition and then the rest was 'free space'. In windows that space would normally show up as either a partition or 'unpartitioned' rather than 'free space', so I'm guessing that free space is what omv was using for swap. It wouldn't (and after the rebuild still won't) let me resize it.

Ultimately, this time I've got all mys systems set to backup, an the USB was at 4.18g free, and after adding the three backups it's down to 3.64, but still far more than where we were before, and all is functioning well. I'm going to try on another box for a client and see what I get there.

Thanks again for all the help!

FYI, I wiped the box and started from scratch (since it was just rebuilt anyway) and it is working, and working well now. One strange thing though, wiped the USB stick and made sure that all 16g were available, but when I reinstalled OMV to it, it again created a 6g partition. and left the rest unusuable. Is this the biggest boot partition OMV will make? As I said, it's working now, but when I started my first backup there was 4g free, now there's 3.5, so I want to make sure I'm not going to lose the system when I add other backups to it...

Thanks again all!

I think I have that set:
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-7TBFileSystem/Backup/URBackup
    and it looks like that part is at least functioning to some extent because it now has a clients, urbackup_tmp_files, and 'myserver' folder inside it.

Beyond that I picked OMV to have a reliable and robust NAS without having to know anything, so the 'move the /var/urbackup directory' instructions went over my head. That said, I just rebuilt the box, and I see that the boot USB only used 6g of the 16g available, so I may just rebuild it to fix that, that will give another 10g for the database and if that's all the problem I have left, maybe it will work if I get OMV to use the entire 16?

Thoughts? (thanks!)