Posts by Agricola

Yes, I would go with OMV5 and disconnect your data drives while you install. Don’t create your cloned backup until you have your data drives, shares, and users set up.

Thanks for confirming on your version. I was about to go nuts trying to find Apple filing on my OMV5 servers.

Since you use Macs, this guide will be helpful for backing up your sd card from the terminal. Actually, the site has instructions for using Windows, Mac, or Linux.

patrickvdd what crashtest stated above was going to be my next suggestion. I was hoping we would stumble onto a solution. Take screenshots and lots of notes. A fresh install will be best in the long run. Look at those two guides crashtest links to above. The whole of the second document is well worth the read.

I am still puzzled about your Apple filing. Are you sure you are not running OMV4? I cannot find that service anywhere in my OMV5 installs, though I do remember seeing it in the past. I think it was discontinued with OMV5. I have Macs and I have never used it. SMB works fine for me on Macs and Linux machines.

The best OS backup is another identical (same size) flash drive. I like the Sandisk Ultra Flair. 16gig is plenty big but a 32gig helps out with the longevity. If you are a Windows user there’s Win32 Disk Imager. For Linux or mac there is the command line tool dd that does a good job at cloning boot drives. There is also Usbimager for all three platforms. All three methods are cold backups. There is a live backup plugin for OMV, but I wasn’t able to get it to work (I didn’t try very hard.)

Letsencrypt has become Swag. There was a copyright issue over the name.

Sorry, I know nothing about Bitwarden. I use LastPass.

The questions in your last paragraph are hard to answer. It all depends on what’s on your workstation. Most of my files have migrated to the server so that my desktop and laptop do not contain much besides OS and apps.

I have found that Pi-Hole deploys easily from a Diet-Pi installation on any number of SBC’s. Mine’s an Odroid XU4 and a 32gig sd card. An Rpi3 would be just as good. An Rpi4 is almost too good to waste on a dedicated Pi-hole. There are a number of users on this forum who can help you with an OMV- based Pi-hole, that can then be used as a backup too.

All I am saying is that RAID of any type is not a backup, especially for the home server. You can read on this forum many sad stories where users have relied on RAID of one kind or another, thinking it was some sort of backup. If you were getting started with a new home server I just thought it would be a service to you to make you rethink WHY you think you want/need RAID. There are many users on the forum who use RAID, I assume for good reasons. I am not saying RAID is bad, just that it is greatly misunderstood by many.

Redundancy and speed was the goal.

Speed, yes. Redundancy, no. A good, reliable, automated, recoverable backup is redundancy.

OMV sits on top of Debian.

Also many running amd64 machines use a 32Gig thumb drive to run their OS. It frees up a sata port, is easy to backup, and with the flashmemory plugin it will last years.

Hi,

is it possible to use those symlinks as well for shared folders mapping (I didn't found how).

My concern is, that even when I backup disk, what to do when it fails? OK, I can take new disk, restore content there, but I'm afraid that shared folders are mapped using /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-alongstringof lettersandnumbers so I still need to create shared folders one by one - not nice :(

Any better way? Thanks

Yes. As outlined in the 10 steps above; that is what I was demonstrating. I have edited the list a bit for clarification purposes.

In Shared Folders tab you can add Absolute Path to your header by pulling down one of the other items (relative path, device, name, etc.). Click on a triangle next to one of the other header items and check Absolute Path when the menu drops down. Shoot a screen shot of that.

I see you have made a whole-disk share for each drive. Do you Rsync your main drive to the backup in this way? Any Rsync jobs will also cause the shared folders to be referenced.

You do not need to delete users. Just uncheck their permissions to the shared folders. Do you also have SAMBA shares? If so, they need to be deleted to un-reference shared folders. All services that were created after you created the shared folders need to go.

How about your Shared Folders for those drives? Are they still present? I’m wondering if you could delete the drives in File Systems and then recreate/mount them. I’m wondering what that would do to your Shared Folders paths. If one of those drives is your main and the other is backup to it, you might try to just remove the backup drive from File Systems and then recreate and mount it.

I’m curious about your mount points. They appear as /dev/disk-by-label/... Mine are /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, etc. yours look more like paths to shared folders.

Be careful. Don’t reformat the drives or anything in the Drives tab. When you create/mount use the same name you had before. And you might wait a bit to get a second opinion.

Well, if OMV grieves you so much...no one is forcing you to use it. There are at least 19 alternatives to OMV.

Sharedfolders mount points have been deprecated;

That is just not true. Your next sentence acknowledges that much. It has just been changed...for a good reason.

The mount points of the sharedfolders by UUID are not shown anywhere in the UI;

Not by default, but it is easy enough to display. Click on any category header in the Sharedfolders tab and check Absolute path in the drop down.

- Docker management is now handled by Portainer which default to the system disk and do not acknowledge the OMV sharedfolders from the OMV UI (or discover the UUID mount point).

The docker storage path has to point somewhere at the initial install. There are no shares at first boot. Where would you have it point at that point? How hard is it to set it it to /srv/dev....../docker once you’ve mounted a drive, created a user, and created a share?

hiding basic information such as mount points from the users and forcing them to use SSH instead of the UI for basic tasks such as cron jobs or docker configuration

OMV has a Scheduled jobs tab (no ssh there), and docker has Portainer, where you can deploy a container in at least three different ways, none of which involves ssh. I’m not sure what you are talking about here.

The rest of your post is just a rehash of the first section of misinformation, exaggeration, and falsehoods.

For someone who has “been a SysAdmin on and off for 25 years“ you sure seem to be afraid of the command line.

Now, if you would like to stick around and contribute, that’s fine - this IS a friendly and helpful forum. Just one thing: stop whining.

Don’t try to bite off all of that at once. Here’s a possible starter list:

1. Ask yourself and search this forum for: why you think you need RAID.
    2. Set up your Pi4 as a backup server. The Pi4 will work great for Pi-Hole but that can wait for later.
    3. Learn how to use Rsync and/or Rsnapshot to backup data to a second drive on your main computer, and a third drive on your second server (the Pi4). Figure out how to get a third backup off site.
    4. Figure out how to backup your boot drive on both machines. Make sure the backup you choose has recovery instructions as well.
    5. Move your docker storage off of your boot drive.
    6. Learn how to deploy a docker container in Portainer/Stacks, and eventually from the command line.
    7. First docker to deploy, because it is the simplest/easiest/handiest, is heimdall.
    8. Second docker: Jellyfin, or Plex.
    9. Then you can work on Nextcloud which includes Mariadb, Swag (use to be Letsencrypt), and Duckdns.

There is so much here you will be a while working through it depending on your level of computer/ server savvy. Everything you want to do, this forum can supply the answers. All you have to do is dig around, especially in the Guides section. Getting Started with OMV5 is a good place to start.

Are you able to connect through a browser on the phone?

Maybe killing and restarting the phone will help. I’m not an Android phone user. Maybe someone who is will have some insights on the matter and will chime in. I read here from KM0201 that he didn’t care for the Nextcloud app on Android.

PaulFelder before your two posts above this thread lay dormant about two and a half years; and version 5x of OMV is current now, not 3x. You might be better served to begin a new thread concerning your question. There are a few "customizers" active on the forum that I am sure would be happy to help.

My domain is myclodhome.duckdns.org, my subdomain is mycloudhome. I changed the line 20 from server_name nextcloud.*; to server_name mycloudhome.*; but I don't understand whats I must write instead server_name.

You have it just right. Don't change a thing.