Beiträge von OMV_HC2

The files were already on the hard drive, in an ext4 partition, prior to the drive being inserted into the HC2 for OMV5.

I have tried chmod -R 777 on the folders. I can see through ssh that the command has worked on the folders. However, my users are still unable to access the shares.

When they connect to smb://omv.local, there is a password request. The Username & Password combo appears to work as a list of shares is then displayed. However, none of the shares can actually be accessed by users.

Been working on this for about a week and getting nowhere.

Anyone got an idea of what is going wrong?

Aside from removing all files from the drive, then copying them over the network all over again (9TB in use, so a very time-consuming proposition), I really don't know what else to try.

Hopefully someone out there does!

R

Good Day everyone.

I ran OMV4 for several years with no issues on my Odriod HC2, but following a drive problem, decided to do a fresh install of OMV5 on my Odroid HC2.

Got OMV5 running (by using the OMV5 script in armbian-config).

Mounted my disk, added the shares in both Access Rights Management & SMB sections.

My primary user can view the shares with no problems. Read/write access is no problem.

My secondary user (created through the OMV5 interface) receives a permission error each time that login is used to access the shares.

I have added Read Only access to the user's group (kodi) through the User Rights Management section. However the user in this group is unable to view the shares (just keep being asked to re-enter the username / password).

It is as if the username / password combo is wrong. However it is really simple (4 letters each) so I'm sure I am typing it in correctly. And my primary username & password are longer and log in fine to the shares.

Has anyone got any clues as to what could be wrong, or how I could go about getting my secondary user read only access to these shares? I appear to be baffled by something very simple!

TIA.||

This issue has me almost pulling my hair out!

Still haven't managed to resolve it.

I can access the shares via my read / write user, but cannot make them available as read only to my other user (kodi) or even make them available to guests. Constantly just get no access, on Windows or Android devices.

I eventually found where the USB drive is mounted (/srv) and the permissions on shared folders mostly read drwxr-xr-x. To me that indicates that users should be able to read the files.

So why is SAMBA not playing ball?

Have experimented with all the settings in Access Rights Management->Shared Folders tabs, ensuring use 'kodi' has read access to my shared folders.

I have done the same with the group 'Users', to which 'kodi' belongs.

Under Shared Folders -> Privileges & Shared Folders ->I have ensured the same.

I have also checked the settings in SMB/CFS -> Shares -> Edit tab and settings are all looking good to me.

I'm about ready to do a full reinstall in order to see if that works. Seems like overkill for what is probably something I'm missing!

Any help appreciated...

Rob

Hi Team.

After an absence and HD failure / replacement, I have now set up OMV5 on my Odroid HC2.

Currently a 10TB disk is connected via USB. The main partition is formatted as EXT4. The drive is functioning fine, and I can read / write without problems as the main user.

However I am trying to set up a read only user. It worked fine when I was using an external NTFS disk, but having transferred everything over to the the EXT4 disk, my read only user is not gaining access to the shares.

I'm not sure if it is a configuration issue within OMV5, or a Disk permissions issue, and I don't quite know enough about *nix to know where to start looking!

Can anyone provide some suggestions as to where I can begin the troubleshooting?

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks Adoby.
    I understand the limitations of NTFS. Unfortunately as these were backup drives that had been previously in use for Windows, it would be almost impossible to convert them to anything else.

Perhaps I just need to live with the fact I'll not be able to add content to them.

I will be getting the 10TB drive replaced under warranty, but that is some time away.
    I must confess I also have some nervousness about using the backup drives since there are no backups of my backups!

Hi all.

After the untimely and very sad demise of my 10TB drive, I've re-installed OMV4 on my Odroid HC2.
    My 2 backup drives are attached. One SATA disk, the other USB3.

I remade the shares, and read only access is working fine. However an interesting problem exists.
    I only have write access to the USB disk, not the SATA one. User / Group privileges are set the same on each share.

Any ideas why I would have write access to one disk, but not the other? I have verified read/write access for the user to each shared folder and SMB share.

TIA,
    Rob

Well I pulled the drive out and attached it to my UAS USB controller.
    It is bad news.

Linux laptop wouldn't see the drive at all.
    Windows 10 beeped to acknowledge the drive adapter, then beeped as if it had been unplugged. It kept this mount / unmount loop going, although at no time did the disk appear.

Looks like my HGST is going to have to go back for a warranty replacement :(

Thanks for the help all the same Adoby. Was glad to see you chiming in!

Went to access some files tonight, only to discover the share was not functioning. The device had been functioning with no problems for the last 10 months with no recent configuration changes.

I'm using an Odroid HC2 with 10TB disk.
    Storage -> Files System reports the drive status as missing.

Running OMV 4.1.12.

cat /etc/fstab produces

Code
    UUID=d0da7bbe-e3af-4588-8715-aa5c4478eb88 / btrfs defaults,noatime,nodiratime,commit=600,compress=lzo 0 1
    UUID=5bab0a55-56f1-4443-8cac-297e1181425c /boot ext4 defaults,commit=600,errors=remount-ro 0 2
    tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs   defaults        0       0
    # >>> [openmediavault]
    /dev/disk/by-label/Media /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Media ntfs defaults,nofail 0 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-HGST_HDN721010ALE604_1SHV7BDZ-part1 /srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-HGST_HDN721010ALE604_1SHV7BDZ-part1 ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl 0 2
    # <<< [openmediavault]

sudo fdisk -l does not list the 10TB drive :(

Output of armbianmonitor -u here following a reboot.

I've read in this thread that a reinstall might solve the issue if it is connected with hdparm.

Multiple reboots have had no effect.

Using the original power supply that came with the HC2.

Anyone have suggestions as to what I can do?

TIA!

Afternoon All.

I've been enjoying my Odroid HC2 setup with OMV4. After some disk issues (was using ntfs - bad move, now reformatted to ext4) things are running quite smoothly. I am experiencing one thing which I would like to solve though.

The Odroid HC2 is running Docker and the lsioarmhf/deluge container.

When this container is running, even if there is nothing downloading or seeding, the HDD doesn't spin down.
    That would be completely expected if Deluge was active, but I don't understand why it would keep the drive alive when there is nothing going on.

In order to spin the drive down, I simply stop the Docker container. Within 5 minutes the drive goes into standby.

Does anyone know why this would be the case and if there is anything I can do about it, other than shutting down the Deluge container?
    I have though of using Transmission, but I love the Thin Client mode of Deluge.

And in what is hopefully the last report in this thread, speed 17 hours later is as follows.

Read = 100 MB/s
    Write = 92 MB/s

That is with some other network activity taking place - 1 kid streaming from the disk, another from YouTube.

Now on to solve my next issue for a which a new thread will be started...
    Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for the tip on resetting the permissions.
    In the end the Samba wasn't picking up the shared folders. When I went back in, the disk hadn't been remounted. After mounting it manually, the shares still weren't connecting.

I had to remap each one (by simply reselecting the Drive) which had now changed because I gave it a new Disk label. Once I had done that, everything was working again. So then the testing!

Same hardware (HC2) with same 10TB HGST Disk but now formatted as ext4 yielded the following results across the network, using the same desktop as all the other speed tests I have performed.

Read = 105 MB/s
    Write = 88 MB/s

Much better than the previous figures, and completely in line with what I had expected.

Of course the HC2 has only been up and running for a few minutes, so I will run multiple tests over the next few days to verify that performance remains in the same ballpark.

Thanks to all who contributed and helped me with this!

OK, was able to update my backups and reformat the drive. It is now ext4 formatted.
    I am currently in the process of restoring all the files. It takes a long time to populate 8TB of data, even at speeds of 90MB/s - 175MB/s!

I'm using a linux live USB stick to do it from my Windows gaming PC since that has a 4TB Sata backup drive in it. Process should be complete this evening, or through the night. Has been running since last night.

Anyway, I had to run Nemo with elevated privileges in order to copy over all the files. I'm hoping that won't leave me with permission issues when I hook the drive back up to the HC2. Once it is all up and running and I will report back with speed test results. Should be a good comparison as it is the same data, running on the same platform, held by the same drive. The only difference will be the filesystem.

But what exactly is the problem at the end? Locally, you have too low transfers or are they low on the network?

The original issue was my surprise at both of these things. I was expecting 85-100 MB/s network transfer speeds and had read many reports that HC2's were providing such speeds. I was mostly getting 40-75 MB/s with occasional bursts into the 80 MB/s range on read, and 18-23 MB/s for writes. All sequential, single large files. Coming from a dedicated Linux server (with multiple ext4 disks).

In trying to figure that out I found the low internal copy speeds from different shares on the same drive. Windows and full Linux handle these with ease. As long as you are on the same partition, file moves are instantaneous. On the little HC2 they were running at 20 MB/s or less locally. That was the second surprise.

To reorganize my drive, I hooked it up to a USB enclosure and moved the other shares into a large general share. This was instantaneous on Windows. Then hooked the drive back up to the HC2, and any folder / file moved within the 1 large Shared Folder were now instantaneous.

So, thanks to the advice on this thread, I've learned a number of things.

• ntfs, while supported on the HC2, is not really a suitable OS for handling large files. It is much more limited than native filesystems on this platform.
    • Instantaneous local transfers are possible if sub folders are created within a single large Shared Folder.

My next tests will be checking things out on a non-ntfs drive once I manage to move all my media around a combination of internal drives and an external one. I'll choose between ext3, ext4, or btrfs for the filesystem. Open to recommendations from HC2 users.

Write speeds.My last measurement was SSD read+network transfer+HDD write. 95 MiB/s.
    Drive size has a minor influence. Often a HDD gets slower when it gets full. My IronWolf 12TB above was 71% full.

Good news: It seems SMB has a minor effect on the low performance you reported,
    Bad news: It seem NTFS has a huge negative effect.

Yeah, the drives can get full quickly. I'm at 79% with the 10TB.
    I might have to figure something out with a couple of external 5TB drives then I could switch over to ext4 or BTRFS. Looks like ntfs is just going to be too slow for me.

Will try to figure out how to do some kind of experiment. Will have to wipe my backup external drives to do it though... Probably worth it.

Thanks for all the feedback and tips everyone.

OK, good to know in more detail what is going on. Thanks for that.
    I wanted to know the read speed of the drive, so I looked for some sample code online.
    I cleared the cache with sudo /sbin/sysctl -w vm.drop_caches=3

Then ran
    dd if=/sharedfolders/Transfers/testfile.dd of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1024

That resulted in :
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 6.99122 s, 154 MB/s

Does that mean the HC2 can read at 154 MB/s from the disk, but only write at 23?
    If it can read at 154 MB/s, why would my read transfer speeds on the network fluctuate so much? They are sequential reads (typically 2+GB ISO, ZIP and media files)?

What kind of speeds do you get when you:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/ntfs/filesystem/somewhere/testfile.dd bs=1M count=5000 conv=fdatasync status=progress && sync

1563426816 bytes (1.6 GB, 1.5 GiB) copied, 66.0285 s, 23.7 MB/s
    1508+0 records in
    1508+0 records out
    1581252608 bytes (1.6 GB, 1.5 GiB) copied, 66.7813 s, 23.7 MB/s

What is that telling me? The native write speed to the drive?

Yes, using ntfs at the moment. Unfortunately I don't have another 10TB drive, or I would give the ext4 a shot and see how it does. Having just moved Country I also don't have any spare drives around that I can reformat as ext4 and test speeds with, Just couldn't bring all the computer gear with me :(

I'm sure people are generally getting higher than 23 MB/s write on ntfs with SMB on the HC2 though.

Just tested my speeds again. Today read speed is fluctuating from only 23 MB/s up when Deluge was active, up to 44 MB/s with the Docker Container stopped. That was on a 850MB ISO. My 3.7Gb test file transferred at an average of 38 MB/s. With each transfer I could see the speed fluctuating quite a bit.

Obviously there's something I'm missing here. I guess the next thing is to try a beefier PSU, but unfortunately don't have anything more than 2amp here.

I've updated the SATA on my HC2s. Worth a try? (I've also set spindown to 30 minutes.)

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/software/jms578_fw_update

Also I had bad problems with my HDD (dropped them and wouldn't mount) if I changed any settings for Physical Disk Properties. It seems my drives are incompatible with hdparm. Try to disable any HDD tweaks. (Disk->Edit)

Hmm, I might need to do this. Always good to be running latest firmware anyway. Last night when I went to bed the HDD hadn't spun down, and this morning when I woke up I can still hear it chuntering away which is unusual. It was typically spinning down after 2 or 3 minutes. My guess is it hasn't all night, but I don't know why.

The only thing I changed was the location of the folders so the main shares are now in 1 master folder for easy file manipulation.

Ah - just got the drive to spin down : the issue was Deluge within Docker. It wasn't downloading anything, but I needed to reset the mount point of the downloads folder since I moved it last night. It was probably repeatedly searching for the directory. I'll see if it spins down again after running a couple of tests on the new directory.

I've downloaded & extracted the FW update file linked above (thank you). However it looks like I'm already running the latest version.

sudo ./JMS578FwUpdate -d /dev/sda -v reports
    Bridge Firmware Version: v173.1.0.1

Had nothing set in Disk Management, but have now enabled and set a 10 minutes spin down time to see if that works.

After changing directory structure last night, reads across the network were higher : 85 to 100 MB/s. Writes were still low (23 MB/s). Will test again later today to see if the speeds have remained high on the read side at least.

Did you do any tweaks to increase network performance on your HC2s?
    I'm getting read speeds across the gigabit network of 50MB/s and write of only around 20MB/s to my shares. On occasions I've seen it go up to 80MB/s on the read side (eg after first install).

Have just done some more performance testing and am seeing some erratic results.

When reading from the drive, the transfer speed is going up and down like crazy. Sometimes as low as 11MB/s, sometimes as high as 87MB/s, It fluctuates a lot while copying a 3.7Gb ISO file.

So I have looked at the SMART report and am seeing Raw Read Error Rate in Prefail (Raw value = 0) and Spin Up Time is also showing Prefail (Raw Value 433, av 444).

Does this mean my issue is the disk itself, and not something to do with the HC2?
    In which case I guess I might need to contact Hitachi!

OK - just remvoed the disk from the HC2 and plugged it into my USB3 enclosure.
    Read speed is coming in at 165MB/s for a 2.2GB file and 167 MB/s for my 3.7Gb ISO.
    Write speed sitting at 162MB/s.
    Manufacturers Disk utility passing drive, as is CrystalDiskInfo 7.

Looks like it is not the drive having issues (phew!), unless it is not getting enough power from the HC2 power supply? Or I am back to the problem being with the OMV4 config...