Posts by sm0ke

@_Michael_

A: We agree on that. Simple, the solution (patch) is on hd-idle sourceforge. That's unrelated to autoshutdown.

B: Indeed hdparm.conf is not to make changes. But you can read the file and verify. Changes made in APM in GUI affect this file.

I had trouble with the setting up hd-idle: The guide says make sure APM is turned off. First option in APM is "Disabled", last one is "255 - Disabled".
    Not all 6 data drives (not all the same drives, Samsung and WD) were spinning down, I was reading at the hdparm man pages about the 255 option. Since I set "255 - Disabled" for each drive in APM (GUI), they all appeared in hdparm.conf like this:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD20EARX-00PASB0_WD-WCAZAH439671 {
    apm = 255
    write_cache = on
    }

After, all drives were spinning down.

I haven't read all of your posts, but I though the more info the better and tried to help by sharing my experience.

If write cache if off (it should be for SSD's) and APM is set "Disabled" (as default, first option) the drive does not appear in hdparm.conf (also other options not used, automatic acoustic management and spin-down time).

Don't know the cause of your hd-idle-restart-resume.service not working stable. But I does in my case (also using autoshutdown now). Maybe the APM set to 255 is a solution, maybe not use backport but install like you did here or maybe DO use option C. Things to try I would say...

My info, as I was struggling with hd-idle on OMV5.x too:

First off all: I did not use the back-port way for installing, I used the "old" wget method from OP old post (read the other option later on).

I'm currently not using auto-shutdown (will try maybe the next few days). The issue of going HDD's not going to stand-by after suspend, doesn't seem to be related to auto-shutdown (I believe OP mentioned this allready). I use hd-idle with systemctl enable hd-idle-restart-resume.service with success, consistently now; with manual suspend and WOL.

@macom Above you mentioned it's also possible to use dev/disk-by-label or dev/sdx. I would not recommend that. Definitely not the /dev/sdx way (not sure about label), I've noticed that on a Boot or reboot /dev/sdx are all in line with the HDD's connected to the sata port: sda (SSD) is on port 0, sdb is on port 1, sdc is on port 2 and so on... When using suspend this if often not the case!!!

I DO use step C, I think you're probably right and not necessary (as systemctl enable hd-idle-restart-resume.service) also works without a scheduled job (BUT GUI overrides things in config sometimes, but I think it doesn't apply in this case, maybe double check this?).

Also when I first edited /etc/default/hd-idle I saw START_HD_IDLE=false is not commented in the first few lines and removed that line.

Ow and make sure that for all HDD's involved in APM is set to 255 not just disabled (check this in /etc/hdparm.conf).

My next step is try auto-shutdown.

Having trouble with APM. 4 of 5 disks do work now and go to standby. Different disks behave different with hdparm...

Last disk which doesn't go to standby with hdparm -B set to 254 and 255. When using -B 127 it does go to standby, but much faster as set (all in GUI) .
    So would like to experiment with -B (253) and -S.
    But settings for -B in GUI are limited and can't just edit /etc/hdparm.conf, because changes will get lost.

I recently discovered "omv-salt deploy run fstab" when needed to change something there. Can I use omv-salt to make changes to /etc/hdparm.conf permanent? Or any other way to do this?

@votdev I know you're very busy developing, hope you can help though!

Edit:
    Some info here
    Have 2 of these Samsung disks, and setting APM to 255 was solution for that. For the other to WD drives I use 254 (which says APM is not supported with hdparm -B /dev/WD drive, so they will probably work with 255 as well i guess).
    But the one not willing to go to standby with APM set @ 255 and 254 is a SAMSUNG HD753LJ...

Edit 2:
    For SAMSUNG HD753LJ: when set to -B 255 in GUI and after use command: "hdparm -B /dev/sdf" disk does go to standby in exact time set in GUI...

Edit 3:
    There is a different behavior between boot/reboot and put system in and out of stand-by regarding disks going to stand-by.
    With boot/reboot all WD disks go to stand-by. When system has been in stand-by and woken up, WD disks don't go to stand-by.

When restoring to new (larger) drive, I've had some issues. I needed to do a clean install OMV, and after restore backup. I did try with and without step 14 "dd if=/mnt/YOUSHOULDKNOW/backup.grubparts of=/dev/YOUSHOULDKNOW". Also had CloneZilla image and got it fixed. (Also had mdadm errors, but don't even have RAID, also fixed).
    It was a challenge in my case anyway...

For those who need to edit fstab (for whatever reason)... On OMV4: edit fstab and after saving file (don't reboot) run omv-mkconf fstab. On OMV5: edit fstab and (without reboot) run omv-salt deploy run fstab. Found this here, thanks!

Now I'm looking for a solution for the following:
    I partitioned my OS SSD (using Parted Magic, not OMV on top of Debian way). Everything works fine (have had this on OMV4 and now on OMV5)...
    Currently running OMV5 in UEFI mode (extra partition). Partition layout: sda1=EFI partition (vfat), sda2=OS partition (ext4), sda3=swap partition and sda4="extra partition" (ext4). With sda3 / swap at the end of disk.
    Using fsarchiver doesn't include the "extra" partition, only the EFI/vfat and sda2(OS). Would like to backup the extra (data) partition as well (as scheduled job).
    Anyone, have any ideas? Thanks!

*** The issues above had nothing to do with my partition layout. Tested multiple times with clean install (no changes in partitions) and restore to clean, same and bigger SSD.

Edit: added screenshot of disk layout used on (other and OMV4) system to clarify.
    Screenshot-OMV-ATOM-HDD1-Partitions.png

I turned off the port forward and tried again today...
    Starts immediately (nothing else had changed) and in few seconds goes to 8,5 MB/s.
    I'll try a few more days, thanks!

Thanks for the link to browser plugins!
    IP is indeed behind proxy (tried both from TorGuard and ipMagnet).

Now I think about it, I did check "Run in privileged mode" in container settings. Don't know what it exactly does? Probably better to turn it off again.

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/deluge did mention about the /download setting in preferences. Must have missed that...

Was reading the "Updating info" section. Can you point me in the right direction about Docker basics and updating? Deluge from linuxserver needs new image and recreate container it says, but that isn't always the case is it (other images)? E.G. I don't know what the "Commit" button in OMV>Docker does...

Edit: Turned off "Privileged mode" and again torrent didn't start (waited for about a minute), turned it back on again and almost instantly the dl started.
    Will play with this a few times...

I would say, you're right.

But here's the strange thing:
    When no port forwarding set, xubuntu-19.10-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent works and The.Irishman.2019.1080p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.Atmos.x264-CM-[rarbg.to].torrent does NOT.
    With port 1080 forwarded, they both work?

One annoying thing left: can't get "Torrent Control" plugin in Firefox to work with Deluge. And need to test mobile gui use with this client (normally I use iPhone to add a torrent).
    Thanks again! I can now compare speeds with TM-OpenVPN and Deluge, but I'm pretty sure Deluge gets max speed where TM doesn't.

Indeed the DL folder was set wrong. Just noticed before your reply (was comparing screenshots)...

It works now, thanks. But need to check some things.
    This way port 1080 is always open, even when Deluge is not running. Don't know if this is a security issue...
    Remove manually set forwarded port, maybe UPnP will work when removed?

Also need to check outside IP, always used checkMyTorrentIp.png.torrent for this. Transmission give proper feedback, in Deluge I can't see. Will try the 2 files you referred to some posts ago.

Will check log in moment, here some screenshots:

Connected.JPGPreferences_Downloads.JPGPreferences_Network.JPGPreferences_Proxy.JPGWebinterface.JPG

Selected server is P2P and Socks5, checked @ https://nordvpn.com/nl/servers/tools/

Are the PUID and PGID a real user and group on the machine?

Yes

Log & router screenshot added

Container_Log.txt

* UPnP is on by default, but doesn't open any ports in router, so forwarded 1080 to server IP manually (see screenshot). Plex (also running in host mode, does set ports with UPnP)

Files

• Router_NAT.JPG

(87.28 kB, downloaded 63 times, last: )

I do get my maximum DL speed with haugene/transmission-openvpn (10,5 MB/s) with a "good" torrent (e.g. Xubuntu). With movies also good speed, but a bit slower (varies, let's say between 4 and 10 MB/s), depending on torrent. But think this DHT an PEX provide the peers maybe?

Correction: Checked a few things with different torrents (also in a small time-frame). NordVPN DOES slow down DL speed significantly! Tried on Windows machine with qBittorrent with and without VPN on. No matter what setting in torrent client or VPN settings ((P2P)server or protocol), speed drops way to far with VPN on...

I'm not talking about typical port forwarding in a user's router. I am talking about having a port opened and on the far end of the VPN tunnel on your VPN IP public address forwarded to you.
    For example, say you want to run a web server but you do not want to hand out your real WAN IP address. You want to hand out your public VPN address instead and have the traffic go thru the tunnel to your server. This will require that your VPN provider open a port on their end of the connection and forward it thru the tunnel to you. This is not supported by NordVPN and others.

Unfortunately, the OP is not being at all clear as to exactly what it is he is trying to do.

...indeed port forwarding doesn't work with NordVPN.

So I tried your suggestion Deluge (docker), but I can't get it to DL...

Used following to set it up
    https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/deluge
    https://nordvpn.com/nl/tutorials/socks5/deluge/

When a torrent is added: is appears under "Error" and the status of the torrent is "Permission denied".

Thanks for the quick response.

New to Socks(5), need to read about it first (will not be today)... Do you still use VPN when using Socks? And If you do, I would have to use another docker container for that, since my modem/router doesn't support VPN. Or install VPN directly on OMV (no docker)?

Really like the NordVPN API, which VPN are you using?

I do get my maximum DL speed with haugene/transmission-openvpn (10,5 MB/s) with a "good" torrent (e.g. Xubuntu). With movies also good speed, but a bit slower (varies, let's say between 4 and 10 MB/s), depending on torrent. But think this DHT an PEX provide the peers maybe?

In a few months, maybe a year I'll have 500 Mbit connection, curious about max. p2p speeds...

@gderf
    Having the same issue as OP, also using haugene/transmission-openvpn with NordVPN. As I move my files when downloaded and server won't be up 24/7 (only when needed), I'm not really much of a seeder (might change in future, but don't know how to do that when files are moved and torrent has been removed from client). For me, it's just to open peer listening port to get more peers/higher transfer rates. I was wondering with DHT and PEX, is this listening port still interesting though?

Anyway thanks for the Deluge client alternative, will look into that. Doe is also use NordVPN API (that's a big plus for haugene/transmission-openvpn)?

Most VPN providers also provide a Socks5 proxy. NordVPN does too, so why
    don't you use it with a torrent client that supports it?

nordvpn.com/tutorials/socks5/

But @Gre@T follows up later with:
    Until now. I got "SOCKS unsupported authentication method" on some torrent files.

U know anything about this?

No expert, but my advice:

Update system (especially Docker), but would recommend update all. Maybe make backup before updating, depending on situation.
    When you're just setting up or did fresh install, update all.

If that doesn't fix your problem, I think more info is needed (OMV version, running on armhf? and log-files maybe).

Thanks, now I (roughly) understand SNAPRAID and mergerfs! Definitely going to use this for the 4x750GB disks to be added in near future.

I've worked over 4 years, repairing, testing and assembling PC's... The question is not IF hardware will fail, but WHEN (even new products can fail or be DOA).
    So yeah, important data needs a proper backup, I know!

Turns out my docker issue had nothing to do with DNS settings, but a bug in Docker, which is already fixed :-)
    You can take a look here if you like.

Really like OMV's Forum. Nice and helpful people here.

Maybe tomorrow I'm going to close this thread. Need to check some things and think about it.
    Anyway BIG thanks again for your help!

I fear you can not do anything right at the moment. You hit a bug caused by a race condition. I will open a bug issue for the Docker plugin. You need to wait until the plugin developer has fixed it.

This is fixed in the latest release of the plugin.

Big Thanks to you guys and of course the developers/maintainers of Docker!!!
    Everything seems to work fine, I now can proceed witch my installation/configuration of OMV :-)
    Cheers!

Yes, latest omv4 image, clean install and updated. And installed omv-extras.Also tried clean install without updating omv, installed omv-extras. Same issue (after updated omv completely (kernel included).

Hi there,

Building a new NAS, with clean install OMV4 (in Legacy mode). For those interested, take a look here

So fresh install, updated and installed OMV-Extras. Now when I try to pull an image I get "Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatusrQ71Ej' (size=0)."

Docker_Pull-Image_Error_1.JPG

Docker_Pull-Image_Error_2.JPG

Tried many times: here are two Error messages, trying to pull same image:

• Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatusrQ71Ej' (size=0).

Fout #0:
    OMV\Exception: Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatusrQ71Ej' (size=0). in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/json/file.inc:207
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/json/file.inc(223): OMV\Json\File->getContents()
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(340): OMV\Json\File->read()
    #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/docker.inc(262): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->finalizeBgProcStatus('/tmp/bgstatusrQ...', '', Object(OMV\Exception))
    #3 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDocker->pullImage(Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('pullImage', Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Docker', 'pullImage', Array, Array, 1)
    #7 {main}

• Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatusItIVVN' (size=0).

Fout #0:
    OMV\Exception: Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatusItIVVN' (size=0). in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/json/file.inc:207
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/json/file.inc(223): OMV\Json\File->getContents()
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(340): OMV\Json\File->read()
    #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/docker.inc(262): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->finalizeBgProcStatus('/tmp/bgstatusIt...', '', Object(OMV\Exception))
    #3 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDocker->pullImage(Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('pullImage', Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Docker', 'pullImage', Array, Array, 1)
    #7 {main}

The thread mentioned above might give some insight in this matter...
    Can someone please point me in the right direction for solution? Thanks in advance!

I'm going to look into SNAPRAID and mergerf, thanks!

The way you describe it, it would be the best solution in my case. But will probably do that only for the 4 disks that still need to be added to the system, 2 x 750GB 3,5" and 2 x 750GB 2,5". Now I have 2x2TB (SATAIII), 2x1,5TB (SATAII) and one temporary 2,5" 1TB disk. Plus a old SSD (OS), 80GB SATAII; Which will be replaced by 128GB SATAIII in a week or 2. There is no rush there...
    2 Things I need to look in to in this matter, but you probably already know the answer ;-)
    A. The 25% loss: Is this always the case, or depending on the total number of disks and/or there capacity?
    B. Which would be best SNAPRAID of mergerfs? (I saw something yesterday on OMV Dashboard about "SNAPRAID disaster" or something like that)

Look at your DNS settings. If it's currently set to DHCP, you could try (1) statically addressing your OMV server, and (2) using a public DNS server for your OMV server, like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1

I use DHCP with static IP to OMV. I tried setting DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 but no luck. Don't understand option 1 I think, or did you mean static IP from DHCP-server (on modem/router)?

Going to create new thread now, because I think it's a Docker issue and provide more info about this. Will update this post with link to thread, when made (probably tomorrow).
    Edit: New thread

Thanks!

Thanks!

I know RAID never is an backup. That's why I choose not to use it. I don't have the money right now for new bigger HDD's and have a bunch which I can use. Also data on it, that makes soft or hard RAID also tricky, As I would need a big disk for clearing all HDD's I have. BUT... I was considering RAID 5, but don't think that's an option with power management (don't want all 6 (or 8 ) drives running all the time). I can read up on ZFS, SNAPRAID and mergerfs. But think in all cases parity and power management don't work together very well?
    Conclusion: better not use RAID for now I guess? I Use Clonezilla to make image (when satisfied and before major updates) and fsarchiver...

No Server won't be running 24/7.
    Mainly use it for streaming my media local and outgoing with plex and for downloading for now. But will look into remote access web-interface (video tutorial), remote file access and security soon. Want to learn...

Which bring me to next problem: I use Docker for haugene/transmission-openvpn and linuxserver/plex. But I get an error when pulling most images in Docker.
    linuxserver/plex did pull after some retries. haugene/transmission didn't pull at all (just tried again).
    What I tried: different linux.io images: all fail (with exception of above one). Did a clean install, installed omv-extra's, made an user and share (before updating whole OMV), same issue. Also after updating whole OMV.

Better make a new thread for this. Going to eat now and have an appointment, later this day I'll upload error details. (Failed to read file '/tmp/bgstatusejNM4v' (size=0)) is what I get.

Thanks again!