Posts by esteid

I am attempting to create a calibre container.
    I have done it directly in command line, and in the UI using technodad's video.

docker create \
    --name=calibre \
    -e PUID=1000 \
    -e PGID=100 \
    -e TZ=America/New_York \
    -p 8080:8080 \
    -p 8081:8081 \
    -v /srv/RAID/calibre:/config \
    -v /srv/dev-disk-by-label-media/Media/:/books \
    --restart unless-stopped \
    linuxserver/calibre

No matter what I do for the config folder I can not get it to start up. The logs always have a "chown: changing ownership of '/config': Read-only file system" error.

I have tried creating the directory as the user.
    tried letting the software create the folder
    tried chmod 777 'ing the folder
    tried to run the container as the root user.

And none of these options work. I can get the guac service to start up and then I attempt to create my new library and it wont let me because the folder structure.

Thank you for the advice.

The OP is a bit thin on details. But a guess as to what's happening is that already existing router NAT port forwards point to the private IP address of the OMV machine and work properly until OpenVPN is running. Then OpenVPN renumbers the OMV machine's private IP address or otherwise takes over the machine's network stack entirely which breaks the port forwards.

This is true. I would be happy to add more context if I knew what to add.

As for Grafana, I have the port forward to a custom port and exposed externally. But if I run the OpenVPN/Transmission container the ip address of the host changes and the port forwarding does not work.

I guess the ideal solution would be to create its own network and then point the containers that work together (Sonarr/Jackett/Transmisson-OpenVPN) can all talk to each other, but not impact the host network.
    can someone give me some advice on that?

Hi, I used Techno Dad's tutorial on setting up OpenVPN and Transmission.

When I use host networking to set it up and start the container the whole server then has the network change and then I loose all of my port forwards for this machine.

For example I have Influxdb, and grafana containers running as well. Influxdb stops ingesting data, and I can't reach the grafana instance from outside the house anymore.

Is there a different setup for this that will work and allow me to just connect my other, related containers to this?

Thank you

Is there a good tutorial for using the GUI, web app for creating persisting volumes and just in general working with data volumes?

I've built an InfluxDB container, and a Grafana container that I need to create persisting volumes for.

I also want to learn a bit more so I can prepare to move Plex into a container.

Thanks in advance.

It was my understanding that using UnionFS was going to create one large file system which included my old data and made room for new data. I expected that the old folders would display inside the new folder I create from that file system.

You've helped me create a larger share, and retain my data, but now I have two mount points. One old, One new.
    Maybe the only way to have everything I want is to remove the data and re-write it on a new joined drive.

I have a question. Here is what I did.

Format the second 8tb drive
    Create a new Filesystem for the second drive
    Install the UnionFS plugin
    Merge the two file systems to create one large file system
    Enable the new file system as a SMB share, and remove the old single 8tb drive share.

I connected to the smb version of the new share folder and it connects fine. Shows the full file size, and the used portion of the first drive.

But when I open the folder there are no folders/files inside of it.

Thank you for the advice and the link to the Doc. I'll get reading.

Thanks for the help!

So my action plan is to:

Format the second 8tb drive.
    Install the UnionFS plugin
    Install the SnapRAID plugin

Looks like for UnionFS I need to create a filesystem and mount the second drive.

Do I do SnapRAID on the two drives first? Or UnionFS them together, and then SnapRAID them as one?

Thanks in advance for the advice. I've read some threads on this, but none that directly mirror my situation, so I figured I would ask.

First the hardware:

R510 running OMV all by itself.It has an H200 so it see's larger drives.

It has 3 146gb dell drives in a software RAID in OMV.

It has had an 8TB WD (shucked easystore) for a while. And its got basically all of our "stuff" on it.
    I was using another 8tb easystore still in the enclosure for backup and cold storage.

I picked up a 10tb easystore now for cold storage, so I shucked the other 8tb drive and put it in the r510.

I want to extend the current 8tb to a full 16tb by combining the two drives. It would be great if I can do this without loosing any of the data on the primary drive. But if I need to I could back it all up and then write it back again.