Posts by vulcan4d

I am unable to update my OMV4 and I have not been able to find this error in the forum. I know, I know, I really need to update to OMV5 and I do plan to but it will be a new box. Until then I want to keep this thing updated as much as possible. I tried the usual apt-clean, configure, update repositories with no luck. It seems to be complaining about Python.

I have two VLANs on my network and I wanted to configure both on my OMV server. The server wouldn't let me create the VLAN so I simply created a second interface, connected both ports to my managed switch and untagged the ports to the proper VLAN there. It all works as expected but there is a weird anomaly where I cannot access OMV services across the networks. For example I can't access the OMV web portal or SMB share using the VLAN2 OMV IP from any VLAN1 device. The same is true visa versa, I can't connect to the VLAN1 OMV IP via any VLAN2 device. Ping works just fine which shows that routing is working properly but the services are not not accessible when crossing the networks. Does OMV have some kind of filtering/ACL that does not let you connect from other subnets? Oddly my PiHole on Docker with a dedicated network address can be accessed on both VLANs. This reason alone is enough to think that there is some kind of traffic rejection happening for OMV&Plugins. Any ideas what it might be?

This is for a fresh install of Omv5 running on a USB3.0 stick. OMV boots quick, generally 30seconds so the speed is not the issue. When in the GUI, everytime I make a change and hit apply to make the changes I have to wait 2 minutes until it's done. The hardware is not the fastest, AMD E2-1800 1.7Ghz Dual Core 2C/4T, 8GB , but this can't be that bad. I also tried installing the flashmemory plugin but it did not help. Any suggestions?

In one of the posts I read that you can move your base path even after the docker images were deployed. I've gone ahead, stopped my dockers, put in a new base path and applied. Over SSH I confirmed no files moved so I used rsync -avz to move all the files from /var/lib/docker to my new base path location on my ZFS array. Restarted the docker service and it failed instantly. Restarted OMV and it continued to fail. Set the base path back, rebooted and worked back to normal. With a tiny root OS drive of 20GB SSD I need to get these docker files off it. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Is the sequence of actions out of order, should I have done something differently?

I moved from having a 2x4TB + 2x4TB ZFS setup to a 6x2TB ZFS using a Dell H200 Controller (flashed to IT mode) and the performance is sluggish. After installing Docker and using Glances, I noticed the alert "CRITICAL on CPU_IOWAIT (38.6)". This keeps coming up very frequently so there is obviously a bottleneck here. The CPU is a 4670K, Ram is 16GB. Is this a controller issue perhaps?

Another finding is that Docker does not play nice with ZFS on OMV.

I followed this guide to redirect the base path to a ZFS pool however it won't use the existing files moved from /var/lib/docker
    https://angristan.xyz/docker-zfs-pool/

If I try it from scratch I can confirm that Docker creates the basic folders/files in the ZFS pool however when using the existing files it doesn't want to load any of the containers. I've confirmed the redirection using the daemon.json file works, and I also proved that using symbolic links with Docker works too however if I take the existing containers and stick it on the ZFS it breaks. Ownership permissions look the same and I use rsync -avp everytime so I'm just not sure what is going on. I may have to stick the Docker folder on a non ZFS drive sadly.

There is another long thread about this. You need to do another apt-get -f install and then answer yes to replacing /etc/default/docker. We are working on a fix.

Sorry I didn't see the other thread, must me my old eyes ;). This solution worked! Installed docker, which had the error. Then ran apt-get -f install docker. After that I still had to install docker in the gui and voila, working! It still doesn't care for a custom base bath nor does it like the symbolic link to another location (fails to install if the link is there /var/lib/docker > to another location with files>). I'll figure this one, the whole thing with changing noexec to exec does not work for me as the drive I'm pointing to is ZFS and I don't think it even mounts in fstab.

I've noticed that the docker plugin was not following the set data path and still defaulted to /var/lib/docker. Long story short I tried moving the folder with a symbolic link but it did not work so one of the posts here said you have to remove the plugin first and so I did. After I ensured there is no symbolic link I tried to re-install Docker but it failed every time. The install error makes a reference to an existing /etc/default/docker file which is not present and it says something about Bad Gateway so I'm not sure what is happening. Any suggestions? Docker-CE is enabled also.

I'm running a G3258 Intel Processor, B85 motherboard and 16GB of ram in my OMV for a number of years. Recently I changed from a 2x4GB ZFS mirror setup to a 6x2GB ZFS Z2 setup. Because I needed more Sata ports I installed a Dell H200 Perc raid controller, flashed to IT mode. When transferring my data back I realized something may not be right as it tool longer than expected. It wasn't until I tried using Rsnapshot to backup the data to the 4GB drive(s) I realized something is horribly wrong. The first 10GB transfer very quickly and then it starts slowing down, slower and slower. After 12 hours of transfer it's barely moving, drive activity is minimum and the size in the file system takes forever to go up. Now the interesting bit.....if I stop the transfer and start it up again it does not continue at the better speed. Further more if I select any other file on the 6x2GB array, for example a 1GB file, and copy it to another internal drive it sits for a long time. I didn't wait to see how long, after 10minutes I gave up because clearly something is wrong. At this point I can't even load any files off the array. To fix the issue, I have to reboot OMV.

I'm thinking I'm either dealing with some compatibility issue with the Dell H200 Perc Raid controller and OMV or my ZFS Z2 array has some serious problem. I'm thinking it's the first one because though I don't know how to benchmark a ZFS file system, I know it can do 100MB/s over the network. CPU usage is low, memory usage is fine. Any ideas how to tackle a problem such as this?

I've been running OMV for many years and I always wanted to create an offsite option. After struggling to get it going now I'm starting to wonder if there is a simpler way.

This was my plan:
    -Setup OMV at an offsite location (done)
    -Setup OpenVPN between the two (done)
    -Setup NFS file share, limit to a single user account (nightmare) and use RemoteMount
    -Use Rsnapshot to create backup offsite (didn't get to)

Getting the VPN running and autostarting was the easy part, the NFS is a complete nightmware with permissions. RemoteMount has an option to specify the user account however any file creation comes up as "Nobody". Therefore it only works if I allow permissions to "Other" which I don't want. I tried limiting to a local user account with UID 1000 but when accessing the /srv/shareid location it simply states permission denied. The only way I seem to be able to get in is to allow anonymous access which I prefer not to do.

Is there any way to create a bridge between two OMV servers for the purpose of offsite backups? Docker solutions? I'll take anything :).

So I just started using Rsnapshot to backup to an external USB3.0 4TB drive. The drive benchmarks at 40MB/s which seems a little low but that's fine. I started the Rsnapshot backup of 250GB and it's currently at 114GB after several hours. A drive that does 40MB/s should do it in an hour so I'm confused, is this normal or not.

I use ZFS and moved from a 2x4TB Mirror ZFS to a 6x2TB Z2 configuration. After moving my data I noticed that it's trying to resilver and the estimated time is 90 hours. I have about 4.5GB of actual data on it right now. It seems a little excessive. Would anyone comment as whether this speed is normal or whether this is slower than normal? I'm using a Dell H200 Raid Controller flashed with v20 LSI firmware in IT mode.

I would love to have the option to run MemTest86 from the Grub menu upon boot. Would anyone have any suggestions how to get this done, I don't want to mess it up and lose the other items needed for OMV to start or Clonezilla.

I plan to replace my current OMV rig with one using dual Xeon E2630v2 and I'm curious if this is supported. I plan to run Plex and VirtualBox machines so I'm hoping for a little more horsepower.

Thanks!

Command: mysqldump --user='root' --password='whatever' --all-databases > all_databases.sql

The command works great when manually run, however when using the scheduled jobs the following error shows. Could it be because I have a $ symbol in my password?

I'm running an old Proxmox kernel apparently and even updating it does not seem to show good results.

How does one uninstall the Proxmox kernel and re-enable the backports repo?

I tried installing the linux image 4.9.0-0.bpo.6-amd64, but the headers are giving me an error. Not sure if I have to uninstall Proxmox first and/or get the backports repo back?

Code
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    linux-headers-4.9.0-0.bpo.6-amd64 : Depends: linux-compiler-gcc-4.9-x86 (>= 4.9.82-1+deb9u1~) but 3.16.56-1 is to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

All of those kernels work with zfs (especially the proxmox kernel). You probably don't have the kernel headers installed.

Almost got it working but one more hurdle remains, this is what I did.

Proxmox would not install and "apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)" would give error messages the the linux-header package was not available
    I ran "apt-get upgrade" and "apt-get dist-upgrade" which ended up installing the 4.15 kernel
    Then it let me run "apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)" to install the kernel header on 4.15
    Rebooted, and my ZFS pools imported correctly
    Then I noticed the Shared Folders were still N/A for "device"
    I wanted to re-create, however the ZFS pools don't show up under devices anymore therefore I cannot create a Shared Folder.

Very odd, any suggestions? They show up on the File System and they are mounted.

What Kernel are you guys using with ZFS in OMV 4? My previous kernel of 4.4.67-1-pve does not work anymore after the upgrade. Nor do any of the 4.9.0.0 bpo 1-6, or 4.9.0.6. That's all I have in my list, none work with ZFS. The other version your guys mentioned I don't even have show up.

I have a reoccurring ZFS bug that keeps happening once in a while when I reboot my server. The ZFS drives disappear and have to be imported. Annoying, but not as annoying as the next bit which is a consequence of the bug. Once imported, all the Shared Folders say N/A. OK they can be recreated, however these Shared Folders are referenced through everything that is OMV. The references need to be removed before the Shared Folder can be removed and re-created. Editing does not work as it provides an error. At first it wasn't a big deal, I just did it but I think it must be around 10 times in the last couple years and I hope to crush this bug.

Shared Folders show N/A for "Device"
    When edit is selected the following error shows. There must be an easier method to refresh these folders than going through the trouble mentioned above. Ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!

Code
    Failed to execute XPath query '//system/fstab/mntent[uuid='c7f898ea-ed1d-4fd4-9cd0-8c7b6d2ef5bc']'.
    Code
    Error #0:
    exception 'OMV\Config\DatabaseException' with message 'Failed to execute XPath query '//system/fstab/mntent[uuid='c7f898ea-ed1d-4fd4-9cd0-8c7b6d2ef5bc']'.' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/config/database.inc:78
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/sharemgmt.inc(231): OMV\Config\Database->get('conf.system.fil...', 'c7f898ea-ed1d-4...')
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceShareMgmt->get(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('get', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('ShareMgmt', 'get', Array, Array, 1)
    #5 {main}