Posts by JeffMD

Mine did the same. I cooled it, speeds were good, then just the other a day an upload was going pretty slow (9mbit). At that point I scrapped my renegade. Its a failed project. OMV may have many programs you can install on it, but if it can't even do basic NAS reliably (It also locked up, or atleast was no longer connectable until I rebooted) than I cannot be bothered with it. My WD mycloud ran with fast speeds and needed no active cooling. Also working with my files on it is a mess..I copied all the data off through the renegade and ive got read only dir permissions for no god damn reason that windows has a huge problem with fixing.

Learn something new every day. After getting home from work I looked at the log again and saw it wasnt a time out, but an automatic fsck operation because it sensed improper data on the drive and something was causing the fsck operation to halt and fail. After manually running fsck and letting it to its thang, there is no longer any problems during startup. I am bummed that omv said nothing when I was mounting it, it is really hard to rely on this software in a headless state when something as little as data errors freezes up the entire boot process. I could not even ssh in.

So my OMV on a renegade board has been running fine while powering a 4tb usb hard drive. I am changing around how my plex system works and was adding a second self powered (seagate backup) drive with the plex videos to the renegade. To do this I attached a powered USB 3.0 hub by anker and put both the usb slim drive and usb powered drive on it. Now OMV is pausing the bootup sequence to maintain safe mode because the 4tb slim drive is failing to mount. The 4tb backup drive however mounts just fine (4tb slim drive is exf4, the backup drive is ntfs). If I used "systemctl default" to continue booting up and log into OMV I see that the backup drive is there and mounted, but the slim drive is there and NOT mounted.

At this point manually mounting the slim drive is fine, but this setup is in no shape for a headless operation. Despite removing the need for the renegade board to power the 4tb slim drive, it is now having issues mounting it on boot. Any ideas? From what I can tell in the wall of text, it is a time out error.

Hey! So thats it! Using those tools, I setup testing in mind that I was looking for any throttling. Nothing funny was going on with the clock speeds but the device would start at around 60c and then top out around 72c. It didn't drag the clocks down any but it was clear I was starting the file transfers at around 80Mbytes a second and %50 cpu load, only to have transfers drop to 50mbytes and not even %20 cpu load. htop didnt show anything like low memory or swap issues either. So I dragged a clippy fan to the shelf and pointed it right at the device, cooling it to 46c before starting again (24gig smb file transfer using fast copy). The transfer quickly hit 90Mbytes a second and did not start to drop. CPU load was able to maintain %80~.

So the renegade board is a bit heavy handed in throttling and if I want to go faster, I will need to update to a solid block aluminum case. ^^

I would start by telling us what you have done so far. Is OMV installed from scratch and all drives formatted? how did you get the files on there in the first place? What services have you configured? By default only the web interface is in any working shape. SMB or FTP then need to be configured to see them on your network.

Code
    cd /srv/usb3
    iozone -e -I -a -s 100M -r 128k -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1

And then please provide data and not just subjective stuff like 'yummy speeds' :)

Since you're running an ARM based OMV install you could provide output from armbianmonitor -u after iozone tests have finished.

Sweet. Ok here is what I got.

Include fsync in write timing
    O_DIRECT feature enabled
    Auto Mode
    File size set to 102400 kB
    Record Size 128 kB
    Record Size 1024 kB
    Record Size 16384 kB
    Command line used: iozone -e -I -a -s 100M -r 128k -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1
    Output is in kBytes/sec
    Time Resolution = 0.000001 seconds.
    Processor cache size set to 1024 kBytes.
    Processor cache line size set to 32 bytes.
    File stride size set to 17 * record size.
    random random bkwd record stride
    kB reclen write rewrite read reread read write read rewrite read fwrite frewrite fread freread
    102400 128 86273 88004 63384 110842
    102400 1024 92160 91480 71813 116400
    102400 16384 92844 89402 71426 114553

I tried to use a bigger test file like 100Mbyte but was telling me it can't be larger then the buffer. Not sure why I would really wan't a buffer in a benchmark so maybe you can suggest the proper param? otherwise, disk speeds look spot on and my bottlenecks are elsewhere (my new build I am currently hitting 25-30Mbytes during long sustained transfers).

EDIT: Ok, network test done. Iperf3 as far is default test show that proper expected 800mbit transfers are happening. File read transfers also do show to stay between 70 and 80mbytes a second. Write speeds are more stable but exhibit the spiral of death. Using a huge 4k video file I started a file upload (omv saving) and it started around 50Mbytes. After 6 minutes i had slowly slowed down to 31Mbytes a second and would still fall, probably until around 25ish (This is what I found when doing my initial file transfers into the NAS).

So initial start speeds are spot on, there is a spiral going on files received that causes the renegade OMV to just slow down over a period of time.

This is another matter altogether and there are a number of factors involved that run from the size of the files involved to the native cache size of a consumer SATA drive, which is probably what you're using. (The latter, drive cache size, creates a "faster than real life" sales gimmick to simulate faster but unsustainable drive throughput until the cache / buffer is empty.)

In the bottom line, without knowing what your entire hardware picture is, 25-30Mbytes per second is livable (IMHO).

It is a standard USB 3.0 sata drive. I have been using them for years (from 1,2,4, and now for this a single 5 gb unit). I have transferred large numbers of files between them and know 50Mbytes is the normal average, sometimes faster if one side is SSD. Also At the time of last test, both the source and destination were Ethernet wired to the same switch router. Still, I have not done any internal benchmarks since the new install so I shouldn't go running around putting out fires where they may not exist yet. :)

Edit: Thanks to my other thread, looks like write speeds to the drive are a proper 60'000Kbytes at worst from iozone.

I hate open ended threads so an update. After a whole mess of behind the scenes things and alternative attempts at re purposing other devices as a nas I ended up giving the renegade another try with OMV. This time I made sure I stayed clear of ACL (Only once, transmission needed a flag). %90 of my issues did not show up this time around and I've been pretty happy with how its working out. It seems to handle a dlna (music share, a plex server is my dedicated video sharer) and I even decided to throw transmission on to it with no issues.

Only one issue, transfer speeds when uploading to it eventually level out around 25Mbytes a second or 200mbit. They start out much faster but within a minute it will drop to about 25-30Mbytes a second. I know Nailing down this performance spiral is an artform of itself because of how many other devices it manifest on, but still speeds are above all necessary thresholds.

flmax, I was using winscp as my ftp client as well as to run some command shell ops (mainly the benchmarking programs to trouble shoot my strange speed bottleneck). I am not sure if viewing file permissions would have helped. Currently I am flipping all the files around and making the usb data drive ntfs, but I may give the scb one more chance and this time I won't touch the top part. I just searched and it looks like there should be little trouble using the drive ntfs formated. I'm not asking for anything much from OMV, this is simply a file server for OTHER media servers and central file access.

flmax, I think I understand what you mean by docker now (it sounded like a plugin manager). This is a SBC device and the image for it boots directly with the web interface active, and the admin logon there is separate from the root logon in shell. So file permissions I am trying to enforce via admin/personal user are being overwritten by root because root is not properly notified. Unfortunately it is difficulty for me to know what root is and isn't seeing. I had the check boxes in the upper half set (user Jeff had everything from root, ftp, and many other programs used by OMV as checked) to no avail. I attempted to go all out open permissions using the bottom part too (aside form the recursive check box) but to no help.

the check boxes never changed, permissions set in this window stayed, but the next time I came to upload something to a share, any share, it would be denied until I came in and checked recursive permissions. I think im just going to close the door on this renegade SBC. I kind of saw the OMV videos and thought hey, this should be a drop in the bucket, but now I see OMV is like the only nas software for it unless I want to attempt running others on the ambian linux for it.

mainly I dont want to reinstall now because if for some reason the software is incapable of re-establishing the existing folders then it would take a ton of time to move data around (first to external sources...and then back onto it at a cringe inducing 5mbytes a second. This is another existing problem for this device).

The drive was purchased solely for this project and it is formatted as ext4.

Multiple folders for multiple types. One is backup files, music, movies, ect. And I dont want programs accessing one type of media to be confused by unrelated stuff (like BS video files in my backup folder getting picked up by plex/dlna looking in movies). One share is not public, too.

As for ACL, how can you NOT use ACL? You would have zero permissions then.

Ok, I am one step on dropping this program in the "its shit" bin.

I have several shared folders and despite my ultra best efforts in setting user permissions the software will NOT let me save/alter files in a folder share unless I go into the ACL of a shared folder and toggle recursive permission. The problem is this is only temporary as within several hours I lose all write permissions and have to go in and do it again. I have to do this to any and every shared folder I want to write data too. Coming back the next day requires me to log back into the web console and toggle recursive permission all over again. This is NOT between reboots.

I upload via ftp under a created username (only have one) and at this point in attempt to figure out why write permissions are dropping I have elevated the permissions of the account to damn near root status. Ideas anyone?

Ok so swapping cables and ports changed nothing. I used iper3 and saw amazing rates between it and the server I ran on my desktop (over wifi, too, yummy speeds). However I drew a loss as to how to use iozone. Mainly I have no idea WHAT it was testing on, and could not find any way to manually select the drive(s) tested.

So I built a renegade SCB with a usb 3.0 drive to replace my aging mycloud as a general network file and music server (movies are done on a dedicated plex). No fancy plugins aside from remote mount so I can use rsync to copy the old NAS folders over.

The whole rsycn job took forever with speeds ~10Mbytes a second despite both devices wired to the same router. Even now when everything is all setup, data saved to it using samba shares is going at an abysmal 5Mbytes a second. Download speeds are zippy and are ~50Mbytes over wifi. What could be causing such a lop sided bottleneck?