Posts by audiodandy

It works now! ;-)

What I noticed that on each 6 harddisks folders like "Disk1" , "Disk2" was created by OMV,

So if the rules are changed, I deciced to follow the rules for one time,

I placed all sub folders inside each "Disk1 t/m Disk6" folders

after this I reinstalled OMV, created the users, mounted the harddisks, and activated the SMB service, and then added the harddisks to the SMB shares

Now it's working again how I wanted it, thanks everybody for your help!:)

Rebooted first OMV, and then Windows 7 client...sorry didn't worked

I didn't added the OMV_SHAREDFOLDERS_DIR_ENABLED="YES" line,
    because it was already there like this: OMV_SHAREDFOLDERS_DIR_ENABLED="NO"

I changed NO to YES, and saved it

On my DIY NAS computer I have 6 harddisks all NTFS formated so that they also are accesable from Windows 7 computers
    But after installing OMV 5.5.4-1 I cannot see the files within the shared folders on my Windows 7 computer
    I can only see the shares, but not the files inside...

Maybe important to mention is that I (in OMV) don't have a "main" shared folder on the harddisks
    Instead I shared the entire harddisk like this:

What I did so far:

- read all earlier topics about this problem on the internet
    - resset the ACL rights on the shared folders
    - created a new user, and give it again permissions on the shared folders

even installed SMB1 on Windows 7 client (I know not safe..)

Can anybody help me?

Thank you Adoby & Ryecoaaro,

Thank you for your advice and tips, they helped me very well
    I am going to think carefully about what my next steps will be to improve the Rsync script implementation
    We are very satisfied with OMV, it is a very versatile, reliable and secure storage solution

Thank you Adoby and Ryecoaaron for your answers, this exactly was the information were I was looking for :-)
    Also nice to hear thatRsync can be used without the GUI, without problems
    Yesterday my colleague an I tested our own made rsync script on our OMV server, and it
    worked perfectly!

Our situation:
    To reduce costs, better security and extended lifespan we decided to build our own storage server (with OMV) for the company we work for.
    The server is self build with a 8 bay Server Chassis,with 7 X 6TB SATA hard disks for storage) with no raid controller, the hard disks are connect to the motherboard directly
    (we use OMV software RAID 6)

We have a lot of confidence in OMV therefore we are going to test our OMV Storage Server in an enterprise server environment, for important/critical purposes.
    (On our own risk of course ;-)

My colleague (who’s experienced with rsync) wrote a rsync scrip (see attachment) that makes incremental backup’s (from the client servers point of view)
    (Also for this script: use this script for study only! and only when you understand the script completely, no support is given)

The next step for us would be to implement this script in OMV
    So that we can use the GUI functionality. and run the scripts from the OMV server
    and that we can run the scripts from one centralpoint instead of run the scripts from the servers that we want to backup
    Could you maybe give us some advise about this?

Thanks for you all for sharing your experiences, it helped us alot!

Files

• crondaily.txt

(213 Byte, downloaded 89 times, last: )
    • rbackup.zip

(2.79 kB, downloaded 76 times, last: )

Thanks, I have read that topic, but after reading it was for me not clear if who was to blame these "problems" (user related, software related, or mixture of both)
    Rsync is pretty stable and good system, and many people are using Rsync daily in the world.

But what I would like to know; is what the best practice of using rsync on OMV?

Hi,

I received a rather complex rsync script that I would like to use on my OMV server
    because I'm new with OMV, I would like to know if it possible to use this "rsync" script directly
    without using the gui?
    If it's possible, is it also advisable? or is using the gui a more stable way of using rsync on OMV?

Thank you all, it's working now!
    The problem was that on the office were I was configuring there was a complicated network structure,
    so with DHCP enabled, the server didn't got a proper ip address,
    Now I have connected the server and the control pc on a different little Gb switch with fixed ip addresses
    and I have connection now :-)

Thank you all for the advise!

After typing: cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

#The primary network interface
    allow-hotplug enp4s0
    iface enp4s0 inet dhcp

I don't understand what above means, and that I can ping google (I have also internet access) but OMV reports after install:
    "No network interface(s) available" ?

Hi,

I am building a new OMV server based on:
    - Asus P10S WS motherboard (2 X Intel I210 GbE nic's)
    - M2 Kingston SSDNow UV500 240GB (for "OMV" OS)
    - 8 X 6TB WD RED harddisks (for storage)

I have used the latest iso "openmediavault_4.1.3-amd64"
    But after (succesful) installation, by first boot I get the message:
    "No network interface(s) available"

Strange because during install, "configuring the network", I got the message "Network autoconfiguration succeeded"

Step 2)
    then I place an older Intel PCI-E Server NIC on the motherboard (Intel pro/1000 pt) and reinstalled OMV again
    during install no problems, but by first boot I got again the error "No network interface(s) available"....

Question: is this maybe because of the DHCP server security restritions on the network were I am working?
    or is there something else going wrong?