Posts by SidAny

I've been using the Helios 4 for a while now, no significant problems (can't help the post above... not my area!) - hopefully others are getting good use from it?

Sure, there's no power switch (it's intended as a 24/7 device - they may add one in future) but it's pretty quiet for a home office. I had NO problem assembling it (using HDDs spinning drives, can also work with SSDs). Powers down the drives when not in use, therefore not much power use for casual users.

Very easy to set up OMV on the SD card (use a good quality one) and it has the plugin so as not to wear down the SD preinstalled... booted and configured first time with the serial cable (provided) connected to a laptop. Once configured, easy to admin from a web interface across the LAN.

Also works OK with Windows machines on the LAN... configure it according to the manual (or the Techno Dad Life videos on YT)... not too hard, even for a non-pro like me. Moving slowly over to Linux for personal computing anyway!

I'm not yet fully across the use of Dockers and plugins etc but that's on the to-do list... as is better use of backup & sync utilities & cloud sync (encrypted TNO, where possible, of course).

I hope there is a batch 4 soon... may get another one! Don't forget, ARM based, with ECC RAM and 4 Sata ports... operates headless, not a bad unit.
    https://kobol.io/helios4/

Hi all, Helios4 arrived, assembled and configured (no RAID at this stage) currently copying files to it... so far so good. Hope others are having a positive experience. I'll report back when I have more time to play with it.

First impressions... the tiny OLED screen is a nice touch except it goes to sleep after a while (I'll solve it later). OMV works well on the device, pretty easy to install & configure [THANKS TECHNO DAD LIFE], at first using a USB cable to the serial interface and then using the web page login across the LAN.

Reasonably quiet for a home office and the fans keep the drives pretty cool, even during large file copying jobs (SMART reports drive temps in the 30's C) so, pretty happy with it!

The unit has ECC RAM but I need to confirm that the files (NTFS at origin) are copied without error so I am using Teracopy (win8) with the CRC test enabled so that the files make it onto the NAS without error.

Hi, from the board's self-professed NEWBIE!! :D

HELIOS4 is being SHIPPED in a few weeks... got an email with a link to check delivery details.

Meanwhile... been slowly learning to use OMV on an old notebook PC with USB HDDs attached. Plugins (& now the Dockers) are the next step in the learning curve. Abandoned the use of a RasPi3B+ as a waste of time (except for learning). You can buy old laptops for nothing online! I have two older, well-made ones that I bought new and under Windows would now be USELESS but using Linux/OMV can remain useful. A good deed has been done by the community! :)

Really amazed at how much attention the RPi4 is getting when there is such a good alternative (ECC RAM, SATA ports, customisable enclosure, low power draw etc) in the Helios4 available at an affordable cost (& it's open source hardware, software) - looking forward to testing it!

RasPi4 is a dual monitor, mini desktop PC that runs a Linux variant... that's what it's designed for.

Hi
    Was gonna put a response to this earlier, but I'm a newb and wanted to see the debate first... always wanting to learn from the power users! :]

My motherboard selection journey took me through a few basics... the one thing I learned is that a server is a different beast to a workstation, or PC (esp gaming)... the main issue being ECC (error correcting) RAM and the number of SATA ports (etc)

Balancing this with power consumption and aquisition cost! [the NAS rated drives are pretty much a constant anyways] - CPU power and RAM are not so critical (from what I learned here)

> bottom line; I skipped the PC/x86 route and went to the Helios4 (now on preorder, waiting for production run!) see here... because, reasons! (ARM is the future y'all!)

> while I'm waiting for the Helios to arrive, I'm using an old notebook PC (10 yrs old, works fine with OMV) and USB connected external drives... although I could do a swap-out for the optical drive inside the notebook if I really could be bothered! (which would use the SATA connection)

> the notebook can have any old 2.5" HDD or a small capacity SSD to boot off -or- get into the BIOS to boot off a USB stick (not too hard)... then all the media management (eg PLEX, Emby...) *plugins* are available via Docker (see the videos + the getting started threads) ...here... and you manage OMV from whatever you use as your 'daily driver' (or any WiFi device that can run a web browser)

Good Luck! Sharing is caring! :D

Thanks for that... a lot to absorb, so, at a Pro level, still a work in progress, pro-grade SSDs are pricey!

At a consumer/home level, as long as a decent quality SSD is used and apparently, a fair amount of unused/spare space is left on the device (say... 25% ??) it should give a decent service life

> as for the Helios4 -> I intend to install new, WD Reds and run OMV as the NAS-OS [stick to the standard]

> in future, will order another one from the next batch (they will probably evolve the design & specs) then use the 'old' one to play with different drive types & config's

>> meanwhile, my old notebook-PC with 2x3TB USB HDDs (Seagates, consumer grade) with OMV is running smoothly and no issues since I set it up in Feb :) Happy Days!

[edit - I aim to simply mirror-copy the two 3TBs as backup... using rsync or anything the forum may suggest]

Standard answer is a NAS rated drive (eg WD Red) but I'd not be surprised if SSDs start to pop up (would need a 3.5" caddy I'd guess?) - reason; vibration, long uptimes (although not for casual/home!) etc etc BUT! ; cost!

QN to the experts... would a casual home user get away with standard HDDs? -and- What's the consensus on SSD's in NAS-es?

Some youtube videos that may help;

[SSD life expectancy]
    [Hard drives compared]

[Server vs Workstation]

(NB - I'm a non tech user!)

PS... also have Helios4 on order! :)

You're right, it might be not the right place here to ask this As OMV is armbian-based i found out that it's BSD copetitor is FreeNAS that doesen't seems to be supported as well.

I wanted to comment on this earlier... am I correct that OMV is *not* 'armbian based' but rather it is 'Linux based' and the CPU platform is then a customisation of the distribution? Debian (Armbian, Raspian etc) with OMV doing it's NAS thing over the top? With a web server to provide the interface over network?

So, you're booting into Linux with OMV running over that?

i'm wondering which OS would be the best on the helios4

Why not Open Media Vault? :)

Helios4 now sitting at 112% funded... so now it's a matter of waiting (& looking at WD Red HDD prices/capacities)

Meanwhile... happy to report that OMV is running fine on an old notebook PC with twin 3TB external case Seagates attached via USB (not sophisticated, but it does the job!)... noticed that one of the drives (the one in active use) sometimes runs hotter (54deg) when I expect it to be idle. I put it down to VLC staying active on my Android phone even when I'm not using it, so I make sure it's killed as a process when not in use. Drives are now 'cool' at 31C.

In Australia, cannot source ASRock Rack server boards and get them supported under warranty. Shame.

So, I have set up an older Toshiba (Qosmio, early i7) notebook with OMV running on the internal HDD. Two external HDDs are connected via USB (3.0 & 2.0) and I can 'shuck' them and put them both into a USB 3.0 HDD dock if I want to.

RAID is not really a viable option on these disks but they are a transition measure anyway. Will play with Docker apps etc... good learning experience.

Next step has been to order the ***'Helios4' NAS*** (ARM based board) which will hopefully get to the required number of pre-orders and ship by June... really hanging out for that one.

Other ideas involve getting a HP microserver (used) &/or building a server/workstation based on a workstation board, Xeon CPU (or AMD?) and ECC ram, with probably 6 SATA ports off the mobo.

With time... will accumulate some NAS rated drives, from different batches. WD Reds I suppose?

Hi, an update on the Helios4 an email blast went out recently giving details of a small incentive to encourage orders...
    https://blog.kobol.io/2019/03/04/3rd-campaign-update/
    'Free OLED screen'
    It may be of interest to some...

I like this project after doing a hell of a lot of reading on this forum and elsewhere... also looking through tons of parts retailer websites, networking vendors, second hand gear (HP Microservers) and all kinds of other options... including stuff I simply can't get under warranty in Aussie land (I'm looking at you, ASRock Rack!) and now, apart from the waiting, this looks like a great solution to me... (no, I will not buy off the shelf NAS!)

The only real setback is the waiting time and I'm willing to wait now I have an old notebook PC set up!

i3 8100 + MB + 16GB ECC

Hi, also looking at a new build NAS versus other options...

From my reading (still new to this!) if you want to do ECC RAM (desirable) then your choice of board & chipset will set you up for the CPU... then number of SATA ports is a factor, to avoid using PCI cards.

example; server, workstation type boards + Xeon (i3 for workstations/server) CPU
    [Xeon E3 1220 v6 & ASUS P10S WS (LGA1151) + compatible ECC RAM (see ASUS website/support for list)]
    -just an example-

I believe its more than enough power as a server, not likely to be a decent gaming rig (unless you add a graphics card, then check compatibility!), but more than enough for office, web browsing etc. (please confirm for yourself)... on board graphics would also save power and not waste resources if the box will run headless most of the time...

Other factors are cost and power consumption... but this hardware could double as a PC workstation with OMV running on a VM under Win10 (apparently, I do not do this)... otherwise, look at the ARM platform, as I am doing... or even repurpose an old laptop or look for a used HP Microserver! (also looking at these)...

Also, Intel is preferred as the NIC from what I read on the forum...

& good luck ;)

How does Helios4 relate to OMV?

Hi all, especially tkaiser... thanks for all the work put into OMV, the forum, the documentation and summary in this thread. I'm on my own first journey into NAS for home and home-office use as a non-pro.

Helios4 I'm looking seriously at supporting this... it demonstrates the power of the ARM architecture for this use. (& I've now read though the whole thread, still interested...)
    https://shop.kobol.io/products…er?variant=18881501593673

[edit; I took the plunge! Helios4 3rd batch on order... will report back in June!]

Meanwhile I will re-purpose an old Toshiba notebook as a NAS to get me going. RasPi is definitely not a durable NAS solution but it's an education tool and OMV will run OK on it for learning purposes!

Hey, all. Thinking is evolving, so if anyone's interested in my research & learning, this is where it's at, any comments of course would be great.

* too soon for me to get behind ARM as a pure-nas but will follow along (also less variety available in Australia at the moment) [edit; looking at the Helios4 as a way to go...]
    * workstation/Xeon based system gets up there in price, without really being a good workstation anyway (because, compromises, cost)
    * in that case, for the money, a Synology would be the go, time adjusted cost included :P

* BUT! not so fast!
    > learned TONS already, even as a non-pro user... just in the reading etc
    > still want to be hands-on -BUT- too confused about options -SO-
    >> going to *repurpose a notebook PC* [to get going] (thanks tech dad on youtube!) :)

> then <here we go!> will take another look at the ASRock boards [via. Newegg US] see if I can get support in Oz
    > I can get the board landed & delivered in Aus at a reasonable cost...
    [[>EDIT; I'm waiting for Newegg to reply about warranty; FYI, the Aussies on the forum << result; 'US warranty only'
    >> they say contact ASRock; sending email now... sent!]]
    > this would allow me to do an ITX, hotswap rig... [fun!]

Noted; there's a cool looking InWin case over at... InWin IW-MS04 but I think it's pricey!

Next step; repurpose existing Toshiba notebook... see how that goes... then, maybe ATOM or ARM system... [edit; also looking at used HP microserver, for the experience]

OK! Another update! Hope you guys don't mind if I share the journey. [EDIT; to reflect Option A vs B]

OPT-A > keeping it a pure NAS server box and small form factor, hotswap bays is nice, expand mobo with a PCI slot later as needed but prefer fewer, larger disks anyway;
    * Silverstone DS380 case, ASUS P10S-I (ITX) mobo, Xeon E3 1220 v6, Kingston ECC 8mb RAM (expandable), Silverstone SFX 500W Gold PSU, WD Red 8TB (x2 to begin) > parts sourced locally in Aus. This is a trade-off in terms of MoBo because the SATA ports are generally 6 onboard and the RAM on this board is a slower speed & close to end-of-life (in Crucial brand, which is the most compatible by reputation).

OPT-B > Mid size mATX form factor in a Fractal Node 804 case (8x3.5" + 4x2.5" bays but not hotswap), ASUS P10S-M WS mobo (8 SATA ports), Xeon E3 1220 v6 CPU, ATX size PSU (more options), RAM can be DDR4 2133mhz ECC (more mainstream, Crucial probably). This could be adapted to a workstation in future. SATA expansion card is less likely, saving complexity etc.

Call me old fashioned but I still prefer x86 and it looks like a socket 1151 Intel is more mainstream. The Atom based ASRock Rack server boards are not easy to get in Australia (at least for a non-pro user) so I've gone for the ASUS server boards with the (yes, pricey) Xeon CPU. I've seen comparisons of power draw of an i3 versus the Atom/ASRock board (at idle) and the i3 (ie. Xeon) is way lower... for some reason... here's the link.
    https://www.techspot.com/revie…tone-ds380-nas/page6.html

Finally, it's coming down to; do I want to go to all this trouble and expense!!

Hey thought I'd post an update, local suppliers of ASRock report that they can't supply that board to Australia, making support that little bit tougher. I can order it from the 'states but support would entail having to send it back there, assuming the manuf would honour that. Not off the table altogether but I have to also look at alternatives.

Currently looking at something like the ASUS P10S-M WS Motherboard

https://www.newegg.com/global/…rd-_-13-132-819-_-Product

About the same cost level as the ASRock, Intel NICs 8xSATA6 ports onboard etc mATX form factor DDR4 RAM (ECC or nonECC)

A possible advantage with this one is that the machine can do double duty as a workstation, depending on CPU & graphics card choice - although I'd be running OMV in a VM under Win-10 as the CAD packages all run on Win or Mac-OS (except FreeCAD and similar FOSS packages)... the search continues!

Bottom line though is that I'd still prefer a dedicated NAS box, so likely to select & spec accordingly. Simplicity, reliability and lower operational power needs.

After almost four years with it all eight bays are full and I have begun swapping in larger drives for existing smaller drives.

You're super fortunate! It looks like there's been a rash of board failures on NewEgg; see reviews tab - if you do the 'math' these board failures all predate the article I link to below (Feb 2017) where it looks like Intel was about to implement a fix in the silicon... so if these boards are still under warrantly, I'd be contacting ASRock.

A good sign is that they still sell them! [NB- I'm not an expert in this domain!]
    C2000 family clock timing bug

My current position is to look at this further understand the issues and decide if to push the button on this system. It does exactly what I want it to do so I'm keen to keep checking it out... it's such a unique server board solution!

Even a lot of the 'negative' reviews (board failure) said they thought it was a great server board, so it's go that going for it too... now to find someone in AUS to sell it to me! Otherwise, order it from overseas maybe.

Yeah. Liking the hot swapping!
    Research continues... 50 tabs open in F-Fox !
    I think if I use a case that supports 8 drives comfortably, that would be plenty.

There seems to be different schools of thought about HDD capacities on the forum & elsewhere
    * use fewer larger drives
    * use more drives in the range of about 4 or 6TB as this is a cost/ reliability / redundancy (if using RAID) tradeoff

> one thing I've noticed about HDDs is the price per TB is about the same regardless of capacity, between 4-8TB (AUD$44/TB)

I'm thinking based on current needs that 8x drives would be ample and I could populate the drive bays 4+4 over time