Posts by ekent

The rack came with a fan so I just plugged it to the power supply. Not elegant, I know

It sounds like your solution is simple and effect! Sounds pretty elegant to me.

I'm seriously thinking of going with a NanoPi M4 and getting a HDD cage similar to what you got. Unfortunately I couldn't find the Roseville cage that you had a link to somewhere. But this seems pretty similar (not sure of what quality you get from AliExpress though)
    https://www.aliexpress.com/ite…CSrsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is the power supply I used and this is the cable I used, two of them, actually. Cut the large (female) end off of one of the cables and solder the two yellow wires into one and the two black wires into one. The yellow lead attaches to the “+” (first) terminal and the black lead attaches to the “-“ (third) terminal of your power supply. Don’t be confused by the red lead at the bottom. It supplies power to a fan. You will also need a three-wire pigtail wired to the three left-most terminals of the power supply for power. You only get one try to get the connections right. Wire it wrong and you have a paperweight.

Legend! Thank you so much. I have been able to find the same Molex Power cable you used in the Amazon Australia store, so I'll just get a couple of those like what you did. I really like how you setup yours so that you can disconnect the power without putting stress and wear and tear on the HAT power connection.

Can I ask another couple questions?

1. You mentioned that you have a fan connected to the same Power supply. Is this a fan for cooling the HDDs in your rack? Do I take it that because it's connected straight to the power supply it's always on and running at the same speed?
    2. Some reading i've done on the Armbian forum and another blog have indicated that there can be some issues with the CPU governor and CPU frequencies on RK3399 see below. Have you had any issues with these, or implemented the changes to the CPU governor and frequencies as they discuss?

Thanks again

The SATA hat has a square 4-pin molex power plug that powers everything. With the hat installed the barrel plug on the M4 is not used. The disks get their power from the SATA hat.

I really like your solution to powering the NanoPi M4 and SATA hat. I'd really like to replicate something similar with the potential for up to 4 x 3.5" HDDs. I have been doing some searching for the required 4-pin Molex power plug and found this
    https://www.molex.com/molex/pr…ble_assemblies/0451350410

Is that similar to what you used? Also noob question I know, but how would I connect that to the Mean Well power supply (LRS-100-12)?

I currently use a 8GB RPi4 with OMV5. And a 4 bay external USB enclosure with 64 TB storage. Works great.

Thanks for sharing what you use for your setup. I currently have a helios4 for my operational data and am considering the best (and most cost effective) way to have backups in a separate location.

Your suggestion of using a Raspberry Pi and an external USB enclosure sounds like a really good option for me to use as a backup server. I had a couple of questions :):

1. You mentioned that you have a RPi4 8GB. Was there a reason (i.e. experience) that you went 8GB over 4GB? I guess I'm wondering whether 8GB is needed and justifies the additional cost?
    2. There are a lot of external USB enclosures out there. Do you have any recommendations for what to look for? What to avoid? Or even a good brand to go with? There are some very expensive enclosures and I'm keen to have a good quality and robust setup, but the most expensive option is not always needed to achieve this. I probably only need a 2 bay enclosure at the moment. However, I would be open to getting a 4 bay if it wasn't going to break the bank.

Thanks

Right you are :D! I was playing with Docker. Very good guess.

Ahhh OK. Thanks for the link.

And I very much appreciate your patient response:).

Big thank you to both macom and votdev for your help through this. I have successfully setup and run backups using the built-in rsync tool. Much appreciated

Thanks! I'll setup the appropriate shared folders now on my target and point them to the existing folders on my backup drive.

Something I'm not sure about is whether to leave the following files/folders on my backup drive? I didn't create them on the source drive, and would guess that OMV created them by default....

The screenshot below shows the contents of the top level of my source drive. The Media and Documents folders are the folders I created for sharing. The AppData and lost+found folders are empty and I did not create them. Should I remove them from the backup drive as well as the aquota.user and aquota.group files? I would guess that if I removed them and this drive became my source drive down the track that OMV would re-create them as needed?

Fair enough, I'm not sure that wildcards are supported either. I've either not set the command up properly, or it's not supported.

I'm happy to switch to the built-in rsync jobs and I understand that the target directory structure will be different. I have two shared folders, so I'll need two backup jobs which is fine. Due to the different directory structures should I clean out the backup drive before setting this up?
    Just wanting to approach this in the best possible way.

Also it's worth wondering whether the official setup guide should be updated to recommend using the built-in rsync as opposed to a scheduled task?

Thanks very much for that suggestion.

Would you recommend just updating the scheduled task I have with an appropriate exclude flag?

Editing my original command to be as below doesn't seem to work...

rsync -av --delete --exclude '.aquota*' /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WDRed4TB/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SGIronWolf4TB/

Or would you recommend using the Rsync utility and backing up per shared folder as you mentioned above?

If I go with this option, will I need to remove the contents of my backup drive and start again?

I'm right you are using a cron job to run the rsync job?

Correct :). I am using a CRON job to run it.

I'm doing it that way for two reasons:

1. It was recommended in the Getting Started Guide
    2. The guide said it was an efficient approach to backup the entire drive, as opposed to backing up each shared folder separately.

Has running it as a CRON caused the issue I'm experiencing?

Thanks for responding.

Hmmm, I'm not sure how to answer your first question.... I guess I'm just following what was outlined in the Getting Started - OMV5 Guide found here.

Specifically this section

Have I done something wrong?

How do I check if the target filesystem is in read-only mode?

Hi,

I have two drives in my helios4:

1. WD Red 4TB (Data drive)
    2. Seagate Ironwolf 4TB (Backup drive)

As per the OMV getting started guide, I have got a scheduled job with the following command to backup from my data drive (WD Red) to my backup drive (SG Ironwolf):

rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WDRed4TB/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SGIronWolf4TB/

Normally I have this disabled and then enable it just before I want it to run on the cron trigger of 0 14 * * 5. However, occasionally I run it manually, as I attempted to do last night. Both options of letting the cron trigger run the task and manually running the task have worked without issue previously.

Last night attempting to run the scheduled job manually gave me the following error:

I suppose I should also mention that the scheduled job is configured to run as root, so there shouldn't be any permission issues.

Does anyone know what's gone wrong and how I can fix it?

Backup is important but a usable restoration process, for the broadest possible cross section of users, is even more important. If a backup can't be restored, easily or at least within the tech abilities of the user, the backup is useless. In contemplating what would work well for new users, where restoring a backup could be explained in relatively easy and discrete "steps", an Rsync drive-to-drive copy seemed to make the most sense. During a restoration, simplicity is key to preventing mistakes and the loss of data. When writing the user guide, simplicity was the top priority.

With Rsync, as implemented in the user guide, the backup up drive can replace the main data drive, by simply repointing base shares to the new drive. Everything is there, as it was during the last backup of the source drive. All services that are applied, permissions, etc., that are layered onto the base shares of the source drive, follow to the destination drive. Since the destination disk is already installed, no new hardware is needed or other interventions required, to complete a full restoration.

Thank you very much for your reply! There's a lot of detail to process in your response, but I think the take home message for me is - Yes, RSnapshot has the benefits of versioning etc. This benefit has the side effect of making restoration more complex. Do I know how to go about that process at my current understanding level with OMV? No, is the short answer.

As you so aptly put, if a backup can't be restored easily and within the abilities of the user, then the backup is useless.

I really appreciate your advice :). I'll be wiping my backup disk and completing backups with RSync; starting with the process outlined in the OMV5 Guide.

Thanks!

The information above is really good and comprehensive and has triggered a question in my mind regarding my setup.

I have got two 4TB data drives in my Helios4 setup running OMV5. The first drive is my active drive which has got SMB/CIFS shares giving access to two shared folders I have setup.

The second drive is my backup drive. I am running backups using the OMV RSnapshot plugin, which I understand is built on RSync.

I don't have any issues with my drives at the moment, however trying to be prepared and think about that time when I will need to look at replacing drives. RSnapshot does incremental backups and by default completes hourly, weekly, monthly etc backups. How does this work with re-pointing my shared folders to the backup drive? Does some sort of cleanup of the different backup types need to be performed before the shares can be re-pointed to my backup drive?

Would it be better to wipe the backup drive and start again with RSync backups as per the OMV5 guide?

Yes, I think it is ok.

Thank you for your help through this. Successfully got the doublecommander docker running last night.

Thank you for answering all of my questions! Much appreciated

Hmmm... Just checked by creating another user "ekent2" through the GUI.

That user is assigned to the "users" group, and nothing else. I can add that user to the "ekent" group if I want.

Do you think it's OK to stick with the "ekent" user as is? I.e. with uid 1000 and gid 1000?