Beiträge von ekent

The SkyLake does not transcode very well compared to 7th Gen and newer but if you aren't concerned about transcoding then they work well. N95/N100 are very comparable to Skylake I5 for processing power but have much better transcode performance and even lower power consumption. The hard part with any low power build is the power supply. Typically available power supplies are way to big and wasteful at the lower end of their output curve. All of the SFF and mini computers are to small for 4 drives but have very nice, small power supplies. A bit of a catch 22. My own N95 is a 4" form factor and uses a wall wart and is super power efficient but it only has room for an NVME and a single 2.5" SSD.

Thanks!

I think the Fujitsu motherboard I'm looking at can support 6th or 7th gen Intel CPUs. So I might look around. But I'm not really concerned about transcoding.
    I really appreciate your messages! I looked into the Beelink S12 following your message and it looks very nice, but a bit more expensive then what I'm looking at, and I'm looking at having more drives than it has SATA ports. Given I'm not too interested in transcoding, then I think I like what I'm looking at.

But the power supply issue is a real doozy. I've been reading that Corsair RM550x are amazing from a power efficiency perspective, but I just can't find one X/

If you are set on ECC then your budget goes up and your selection down. You are basically stuck on Xeon/Epyc or some marginally supported config pairing certain specific processors with certain specific motherboards (ASRock) and a dash of prayer that it works. If you can skip the ECC then there are a ton of options and the N5095/5150 or newer N95/100 make very compelling, low power options.

Thanks!
    I'm actually looking at non ECC options now as it just seems too expensive/too hard to find suitable options.

I stumbled onto Wolfgang's Channel on YouTube and am quite taken with his power efficiency focus. I'm currently looking at the following for Motherboard and CPU:
    Motherboard: Fujitsu D3402-B - can find one of these very cheaply
    CPU: 6th Gen Intel i5-6500 Skylake - Also can find very cheap

RAM: 32GB (I'm thinking at this stage)

I really appreciate this!
    I'm trying to find a similar product in Australia as the USD to AUD conversion is pretty rubbish and will save on postage.

I haven't found an exactly similar one yet, but have found this. Seems to only support ECC UDIMM Memory though. Though it does come with the CPU and 16GB of RAM:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/295984393679?chn=ps&_ul=AU&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-139619-5960-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=295984393679&targetid=1278430612776&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9071322&poi=&campaignid=19649531412&mkgroupid=146789074798&rlsatarget=pla-1278430612776&abcId=9305371&merchantid=7364522&gclid=Cj0KCQiA67CrBhC1ARIsACKAa8SUr2jCh7XRGPIF2WIFw7zj6T66y0Lwg81zljUZGzImC45EwrPr0TQaAlzrEALw_wcB

The seller above does say that he's got boards that support Intel Xeon E5-2600v4. Would that be a better option?

Or I could get something like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/265487982943?chn=ps&_ul=AU&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-139619-5960-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=265487982943&targetid=1278430612776&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9071322&poi=&campaignid=19649531412&mkgroupid=146789074798&rlsatarget=pla-1278430612776&abcId=9305371&merchantid=119138965&gclid=Cj0KCQiA67CrBhC1ARIsACKAa8S6jsywJIHhqAyuvnV37ng58Je09RgKUfA-sc4YfGF49cU1DHEuNKEaApZCEALw_wcB

Any thoughts on these?

This looks like a great option. Though finding one might be tricky.
    Also doesn't seem to support ECC ram :/

Well. let us start then with how much you are willing to spend and we can go from there.

I think around $150-$200 for the motherboard (preferably closer to $150). To be honest I guess I'm trying to work out how much the total build would cost. All I know is that when I looked up the ASRock Rack X470D4U Mirco ATX Board It was going to cost about $550 and that was just far too much.

I'm looking at doing my first semi-serious build.

I have had SBC NAS setups and have learnt a lot with them.

However, I'm wanting to build a setup with the following features:

• Storage: Up to 4 x 3.5" drives. Considering an SSD for the OS
    • Motherboard: Something cost effective and reliable. That won't cost a lot to keep running.
    • Use case: Predominantly serving movies/tv to my Vero4k running OSMC/Kodi, photos and documents. I don't need to do any transcoding using handbrake.
    • RAM: If it's not going to blow costs out too much then I'd like ECC

Some reading on the forum indicates that quite a few people recommend ASRock motherboards. And I have also read recommendations to use an Intel NIC.

This is my first time picking out a motherboard so I will appreciate any advice you can give.

I'm wanting to use Tailscale to access my OdroidHC4 running OMV6 externally.

I can see that there are options to install Tailscale directly on Linux through curl, or there is a Docker image available.

Should I be running it in Docker? I haven't had too much experience with Docker and wouldn't be too sure how to put together the docker-compose yaml.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated! :)

This is great!

Thank you for sharing. I've been interested in putting a NAS together with the RockPro64 board but based on my reading I have always been held back by my own confusion about a simple method for getting a proper fan control setup with the board.

Your setup is fascinating and I'd really like to know some more details if you are comfortable sharing.

• What PCIe card did you go with? (heard that there can be issues with some working and others not)
    • What PWM fan controller and breakout board did you get and how do they work with your setup?
    • Does your ATX power supply power the SBC, Fan Controller and HDDs? How did you work out everything you needed to connect it all together?

I imagine this was a pretty cost effective setup to put together :)