Posts by earbiter

I went and flipped it back and rebooted and it still worked leading me to believe that all that was really needed after the install was a reboot before trying to use it.

I installed wheezy as a VM in virtualbox. Deselected all pacakages except system utils (no gui desktop) and installed 7.6 using the netinstall image. I then followed the directions here and added the omv repo for kralizec and installed it. I tried to pull up its web UI and nginx returned a '502 bad gateway'. I searched and found that I needed to change it to listen on localhost - http://wildlyinaccurate.com/so…ateway-with-nginx-php-fpm

So now its working as expected! I didnt see this mentioned in this thread anywhere and just wanted to pass it on. Did I forget something or is this something I should open a ticket for?

I just DL UMS 4.01 today and noticed from the changelog that they added a webui which is one or your sore spots with Serviio. I will have to load it up and try it as it has a had a ton of changes lately.

Of course you can do it. Its just a lot of work. Just browse the web for articles like this - http://blog.mycroes.nl/2009/02…ingle-disk-to-3-disk.html

Its says:

- Add the drives to the system
    - Create a degraded RAID 5 array on the 2 new drives
    - Copy all data to the degraded RAID array
    - Clean the old disk and add it to the array

From past experience you can run into problems with grub and getting it to boot. If you really want to try this then I recomend you do it virtually first. Make an image of your omv boot and get that running as a VM. Then you can add the 2 extra 'disks'. Getting them up and running from omv shouldnt be too hard. Migrating the data, getting it to boot is the challenge. Then once its up and degraded, initializing the old boot drive and bringing it into the raid5 and sync'ed. Learning MDADM will be key.

So once you have done it virtually you should have a good feel for doing it with new drives. Depending on how much files you need to save you might just want to start fresh. I loaded squeeze first and got all my partitions setup as raid-5 which isnt possible from the omv installer. Then I loaded omv. Once again, trying it virtually really helped me out.

Linux has come a long way, but GUI tools to do this stuff are still mostly a dream...

I had previously made some tuning changes for my software raid. OMV now has most of my tuning built in. CIFS/SMB file sharing isnt all that efficient. I havent tried NFS to compare it yet though.

From my linux desktop over gigabit to a cifs share I typically get around 40mB a sec writing and close in the 50's when reading from software raid-5 shares..

A lot depends on the hardware of your omv and how its configured. I run a asrock e350-m1 with a dual core e350 1600mhz 64bit apu.

I also run omv on squeeze. So I am curious if I will be able to upgrade to wheezy and then upgrade omv or I will I need to flush it all and fresh install once 6 is ready?

If there were a way to save ALL settings managed through the OMV web UI and restore them to a fresh install then it would be extremely easy to upgrade/reload !!

I noticed 1.4 had been released. To upgrade I overlaid with the new files but kept the library folder. Seems to work the same although I dont know that the transcoding is working for me.

I followed your guide and got the webui working. Thanks! With it you can at least see the full info on the folders being scanned. Still missing a little from the java console or its just different. I run that from my ubuntu desktop by adding -Dserviio.remoteHost=192.168.1.xx on to the end of the JAVA_OPTS variable.

Happy Holidays!

I also wanted full raid 5 for all paritions. So I installed squeeze and (its tedious) through its text level install I created 6 raid 5 partitions: (3 - 20g os partitions)

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 1049kB 983GB 983GB primary ext4 raid Share data
    2 983GB 1966GB 983GB primary raid Share data
    3 1966GB 1970GB 4000MB primary raid SWAP
    4 1970GB 2000GB 30.4GB extended
    5 1970GB 1980GB 10.2GB logical boot, raid OMV
    6 1980GB 1990GB 10.1GB logical raid alternate os - linuxmint
    7 1990GB 2000GB 10.1GB logical raid alternate os - reserved

Its funny how it says 983g as its really 3 x 2g so should be 4g usable - see below:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/md0 1.8T 608G 1.1T 36% /media/230ca3fb-..
    /dev/md1 1.8T 533G 1.2T 32% /media/b56962c0-..

After I got squeeze up and running and updated I then followed the directions on the omv forum to install omv via repo.

It runs well without any problems. Apparently if you need newer hardware support you can install a backports kernel to get you up to 3.x instead of the 2.6 that omv runs. I think I swill just wait for omv 6.

I am curious to see how well wheezy supports my hardware as I would prefer to NOT run omv headless. But I did some testing and samba speed was dramatically lower if running a gui :-(
    It would be very convenient to be able to browse the web from my omv instead of having to turn on my desktop..

P.S. I recall that during installs you have to (via live boot) install the mdadm and discover the partitions before you do the install otherwise it wont see them. Let me know and I can see if I took notes on what I did and send them.

ShadowZero - Thanks for the guide!

I was using the section for the java 7 install so I could test ums in a vm and java 6 installed fine but 7 failed. I forget but it may have been a repo problem so I just followed the directions at http://www.webupd8.org/2012/06…cle-java-7-in-debian.html and java 7 installed just fine. I upgraded my physical omv java to ver 7 and got serviio going again so its scanning now :-)

I will give the webui a try when I get a chance to see if its any better than the web console.

I did this because it turns out the newer versions of UMS require v7. I got ums running in a vm but didnt have any media mounted. So I am curious as to how it compares to serviio. Ums requires no scanning...

After I posted it occured to me that recently the ability to link was already added in the website plugin. I would've just manually entered what I needed if it could store it..

How about a services plugin? After I install serviio, ums, tvheadend, etc.. It would be nice if I could easily start/stop/set startup of these services without having to write my own services plugin. Also the ability to bind a url to each service would be fanatastic so that once you start something you could then pull up the web management of it or maybe shellinabox link?

In the OMV web UI I would prefer to ONLY see the running services shown under services and clicking the services folder then have ALL non-running services shown so I could start/config each one.

I guess I could install webmin for this but thats a LOT of overhead just for that functionality. Is there another easier way? I could do this if I install sysvconfig but it would be nicer from the webgui.

My recent omv build is an asrock e50m1 with 8g ram, 3 2g HD(seagate), dvd, 300w PSU in a coolermaster elite 120.

I put it behind a killawatt and it uses between 50-60w. I will have to dig out my old buffalo nas and see how much it pulls for comparison.

The drives show 32c. Waiting for wheezy for better hardware detection to monitor the cpu and chipset temps.

Im curious as to how much energy you think you would be saving by undervolting?

Seems like after every OMV update I need to go back and add the interval in to /etc/collectd.collectd.conf

I found this page - http://info4admins.com/tips-to…disk-in-debian-or-ubuntu/ which led me to

cat /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs

which by default was set to 500 (5 secs). I changed that to 90000 (15 minutes) and now my disk lights up ONCE a minute for raid sync (jbd2/md). So that got rid of the raid flush's 1-2 times per minute. Still looking to increase that.

Yes there is a linux version available. I started using it back when I ran windows on my desktop. Once I made the switch to Linux permanently I searched and found it was available so installed it.

Since you can just bash - ssh hostname the main reason I still like to use it is for the saved sessions, auto-logon and other nice features - like auto-copying what you select into the copy buffer!

You can save a profile for a system and then create a desktop launcher to run putty with that profile. Convenient for people that actually bother with desktop icons ;-)

Putty running on linux you just left-click and move to select the text ( change the option - cntl-right click in the session and go to window/selection if you want to use control to select a BOX of the text) and then middle(wheel) click to paste it into an editor. Its either the same on windows or right-click to paste. I forget as its been so long since I used windows.