Posts by earbiter

I wouldve used a spare drive to host OMV -BUT- I built my system with a asrock e350m1 and it only has 4 sata of which all are in use. Guess I could lose the dvd but find it useful for htpc. With this setup I can reboot into a full desktop (linux mint 15). I plan to install either vortexbox, xbmcbuntu, or mythbuntu on the other slice so I can reboot between them. Although I guess I could try do it all virtually as omv supports virtualbox instances! Although I dont know how the performance would be.

I have run software raid on linux for over a decade on mission critical systems with NO problems. So I dont see why omv cant run on raid5? I am doing it now. Just had some hoops to jump through to make it work.

Sorry if I wasnt clear. See bottom for what appears to resolve this for me.

I have 3 2tb drives so I setup six raid 5 partitions:

1-3 are 20g for os installs
    4 swap
    5-6 are 1.8tb for data for omv shares

I installed omv on #1 and linux mint 15 on #2 although the only way I can get lm15 to boot is to use the super grub2 boot cd and manually find/boot it!

>! UPDATE !<

I was able to eliminate a lot of the disk IO by changing my root / mount in fstab by adding commit=60 as well as adding an 'Interval 30' entry to the /etc/collectd/collectd.conf although I imagine that has trashed my stats as I havent deleted the rrd files yet..

I still see rsyslog and flush IO as well as some jbd2. But not every 5-10 seconds now. I see the disk light flash but IOTop doesnt report anything. Strange. I may up these values and see if that makes any difference.

Davidh2k - I have the system installed on a raid volume which is something supposedly not supported by omv's installer. I did read the forums searching for detail on that and collectd. It was suggested the only way to get the OS on raid was to install squeeze as its install process allowed for raid. I didnt find anything regarding the collection interval so thats why I posted.

DaveVM - I will look closer. I didnt see the refresh interval coded in any of the collectd conf files so assumed it was defaulting.

---

Thanks for the help.

I noticed that puppy linux just released a new version and is using f2fs - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F2FS
    It would be interesting to see if omv could be built to run on that so it could be run from a usb stick.

Hi David, Since the stock omv build wont let you use raid, I installed squeeze and setup raid 5 partitions before installing omv. So I am not worried about any flash/ssd problems but I would like to slow down the disk updates as they really are not wanted.

You mention this is generally just a debian issue? With iotop I really only see collectd thrashing every 5 seconds.

Would there be a problem if I just remove collectd?

I installed IOTOP and see that collectd is causing disk IO every 5 seconds. Looking at the config for collectd I dont see where I can adjust it? I would prefer it to update MUCH less frequently ie: every minute or 15 minutes!

I built a doc so I can remember what I need to get new systems able to see the HDHR. See attached file.

Its written for Ubuntu but I used it last night on the linuxmint 15 install on my OMV nas. LM15 is 'raring' so I needed to change that (instead of precise) on the repo connection.
    You will need to find the id's of your HDHR and insert them instead of mine!

The above is for the low-level DVB drivers. I used http://www.silicondust.com/sup…dhomerun/downloads/linux/ for the GTK gui app. I will check out the other instructions in this thread that relate to that as well.

Hope this doc helps.

P.S. I wrote a script that takes the channel scan output and builds it into a VLC playlist so its EASY to watch tv. If anyone is interested in that then let me know.