Posts by benibilme

I have reading and checking my options for new deployment for a long time. I watched, read alot. Like most people I looked at freenas and the comparison available freenas vs. omv in their web site. Main thing argument, I think, in the comparision table, to attract new comers, omv is backed by one developer as you verified. I have come to the real test and first one I chose was OMV.

I admire the work that has been done so far. I wish, I could be help. For the moment, I have decided to stop my OMV journey here. I will probably buy a commercial NAS or build my own.

Thank you all.

Nobody, absolute nobody has told that plugins will be replaced by Docker completely, that's only your impression. Please don't make others crazy with your impression.

I did not say so, if you read it carefully. That is the "impression" that leaves after reading many posts. Especially the posts of members of development team. There are other discussions in the forum that let us think that way. You, your team had better put your intentions more clearly if you say otherwise. Clear saying something is much different than making no statement.

Above list let me think the docker direction. I had to dig information from the forum posts and spend many hours, trying to figure out what is goint to happen, posting forums and generating traffic, besides I was not digging for Docker, I was just trying to figure out what to hell happened to the existing plugings in OMV 4 but do not exist OMV5 and what I can do about it.

I am sorry but I believe this is not my fault but YOURS. I believe have become a scapegoat by pressing sensitive matter. You better make up your mind before whipping new comers.

Hello, Even though I am a newbie in this community and just trying to get familiar with OMV environment, using OMV 5, I would like to share my two cents relevant to use of docker with this community.

I have learned that after posting several questions to the forum, many plugins will not be available in OMV-5. One of the responses stated that

You're far better off embracing docker at this point, since that is going to be where almost everything is going. Once you get the hang of it, it is incredibly simple.

I understand importance of Docker, benefits. But the way that docker is being planned in OMV-5, I suspect that is beneficial for the future of OMV.

My response to the above

Honestly, even if docker will be used, it should fit into the system conventions. For example, I am advised to use a container in place of webdav plugin in a new thread, because webdav will not be supported in OMV5. I installed it, now I have fiddle with new users, permissions etc. in docker environment. I have to make docker volumes attach to the shares and many other tids and bits.

This corrupts whole nas idea. About, more than ten years ago, I was managing my personal linux servers with samba, nfs, ftp etc. I was tired of these, managing users, shares, permissions in different environments and applications and bought a nas. NAS is supposed to facilitate and enhance. Spinning docker containers from all sources is not solution to the problem.

If I am to manage docker containers for even basic NAS services, I can just get rid of OMV, make every service docker container and just run my bare linux server with docker containers. Why will I be needing OMV or any other NAS solution.

I want to use docker to run applications of my interest. However many services are dependent on OMV settings, configuration such as users, shares etc. If OMV will quit plugin architecture, and move to docker, I believe Docker containers must be build as a way that it will integrate with OMV. Users should not be forced to hassle with configuration of containers to bridge with OMV

If OMV is being left to provide a couple of basic services, and all others are left to docker containers from any sources, then surely in a very short amount of time, OMV itself will be obsolete since it will be bringing very little to the table.

Whole NAS idea was to minimize these management activities and provide network storage, later people wanted to utilize NAS devices with applications, which I also want. But this should not hamper the fundamental NAS idea and ease of use.

My proposal is simply if plugins will be container, OMV should provide containers that fit the infrastructer seamlessly and with little or no effort. OMV may itself be a docker container or can be run as a stack (I do not know if this is possible in terms of managing hardware). But in anycase OMV should provide eco-system of containers that fit into the OMV environment seamlessly if docker will be substitute of OMV plugins.

I may want to run none OMV certified/released container than I have to do the chores by myself. Other than that, these plugin substitute containers must be build by the plugin developers for the best use of OMV.

Current approach seems beneficial to developers NOT to the end users. I am, as an end user, here for ease of use, sparing time from these chores not to add new ones.

These are my personal options, I hope I would not offend anybody.

Thanks.

You're far better off embracing docker at this point, since that is going to be where almost everything is going. Once you get the hang of it, it is incredibly simple.

Honestly, even if docker will be used, it should fit into the system conventions. For example, I am advised to use a container in place of webdav plugin in a new thread, because webdav will not be supported in OMV5. I installed it, now I have fiddle with new users, permissions etc. in docker environment. I have make docker volumes attach to the shares and many other tids and bits.

This corrupts whole nas idea. About, more than ten years ago, I was managing my personal linux servers with samba, nfs, ftp etc. I was tired of these, managing users, shares, permissions in different environments and applications and bought a nas. NAS is supposed to facilitate and enhance. Spinning docker containers from all sources is not solution to the problem.

If I am to manage docker containers for even basic NAS services, I can just get rid of OMV, make every service docker container and just run my bare linux server with docker containers. Why will I be needing OMV or anyother NAS solution.

Anyhow thank for the reply...

Hello,

I am a newbie in OMV. I installed OMV 5. However I have seen most packages, I would like to use becoming docker and I do not want to get into docker thing yet. I am planning to downgrade before committing more to OMV 5. I would like to know, if I would like to upgrade, will I be needing reinstallation or simple apt-get dist-upgrade command would be enough.

Thanks..

Thank you for the "authoritative" answer. I bookmarked the link you pointed out which I did not see previously.

My problem with docker is the learning curve, separate user management etc., figuring out inner details of container and linking with volumes etc.

Webdav seems a basic and fundamental service and most NAS distributions provide it out of box. I owned synology, qnap they all provide webdav built-in, as NFS, Samba, FTS etc. Freenas does the same as well. All other fancy stuff, even duplicati, or borg are simply applications maybe provided or not, but webdav seems a fundemantal core feature in terms of nas concept, providing network storage.

I have managed my own personnal linux servers previously about more than I guess 10 years ago with the same purpose of NAS, and since I was tired of hassling all the details of separate user, access control, share management with different services etc., I finally bought my first nas.

Anyhow thank you for the answer...

Hello, I asked for help for installing duplicati, webdav, borgbackup pluging in OMV-5 in following thread since I could not see them in the omv-extras although they are reported omv-extras.org web site.

Newbie needs help installing WebDav and BorgBackup

From the responses, I have understood that even though these plugins are available in OMV-4 has not been included in OMV-5. It is also not known that if they ever be supported. I am advised to use docker container..

I need, if possible, an authoritative answer about the future of these plugings. Especially webdav is crucial for since I keep a large collection of zotero database that syncs with local QNAP webdav server which I intend to replace with OMV

Thank you.

Hello,

I am a newbie in OMV. I have installed OMV 5.0.5 and currently running omv 5.0.14-1 and activated omvextras. I have updated package, omv and omvextra through web interface. I do not see any errors. Only arrakis-testing repository reports no release file.

I am running 4.19.0-6 kernel. Kernel is not being hold.

However under plugin section I can not see webdav, borgbackup and duplicati even though it is reported on http://www.omv-extra.org web site. /etc/apt/sources.list.d/omvextras.list file is follows.

Code
    deb https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/usul buster main
    deb https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/usul-testing buster main
    deb https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/usul-extras buster main
    deb https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/arrakis buster main
    deb https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/arrakis-testing buster main
    deb https://download.docker.com/linux/debian buster stable
    deb http://linux.teamviewer.com/deb stable main

I appreciate any help.

I just tried to reinstall just for the sake of trying OMV 5.0.5 installer again. It stuck at the very same point. I would like to bring this to the attention. It does not reach to the point where hostname is asked.

Later I recovered from the mess I, myself, created because of being illiterate of debian, by copying
    /usr/share/grub/default/grub to /etc/default/grub as someone mentioned in a forum and rebuilding grub with update-grub as you pointed out.

Thank you for the advice, comments and the solution. I have a few more question. I appreciate your comments about them.

Is it possible to go for expert/advance mode in omv installer? I have checked the advanced options only saw memory testing.

I have zswap activated on a swapfile on nvme root partition. Does it conflict with folder2ram plugin (flashmemory)

I tried now update-grub, I receive

/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig: 38: /etc/default/grub: function: not found error. Do I need to install again?

I am suprised about your comment, nvme is a waste to run OS. I wanted OS to be fast. I could have bought SATA3 pci-e card to increase the sata ports and along with a reliable SSD. I have not been able to find a reputable and affordable sata3 pci-e adapter card in my country and the high end ones were expensive. Running OS from USB, I presumed very slow, and there is USB wear thing. I thought SSD/Nvme has more expected life time than USB. NVM adapter, along with 128gb NVME was cheaper than SATA3 adapter card. Anyhow, I am not expert on this thing. These were my reasoning.

Hello

Thank you for all the responses. The output of the commad  dpkg -l | grep grub  is below. While writing this, I remembered that something, I did that affect grub. I tried to activate zswap so I tried to add kernel paramater to the zswap.enabled=1 via /etc/default/grub GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT parameter and issued the command
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg. Probably this messed things up. I have just seen and read the comments below your post. I wonder, is it possible to pass kernel parameters from web interface

Code
    ii  grub-common                     2.02+dfsg1-20                       amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader (common files)
    ii  grub-efi-amd64                  2.02+dfsg1-20                       amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (EFI-AMD64 version)
    ii  grub-efi-amd64-bin              2.02+dfsg1-20                       amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (EFI-AMD64 modules)
    ii  grub-efi-amd64-signed           1+2.02+dfsg1+20                     amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (amd64 UEFI signed by Debian)
    ii  grub2-common                    2.02+dfsg1-20                       amd64        GRand Unified Bootloader (common files for version 2)

Another question : I wonder, if I can directly install OMV 5 via OMV boot stick with different /boot, /boot/efi partitions.

Hello,

I am a newbie, so please bare with me.

I have purchased a
    second hand dell t20 with 16 gb. ram, one 2tb, two 1tb disks. Since the
    machine only have four SATA connection and I want all of SATA
    connections to use for data disk, I stupidly bought a pci-e adapter for
    nvme drive without checking if dell t20 bios allows booting from a pci-e
    mass storage.

Unfortunately I learned that by experience this is not possible. After
    searching through internet, a post gave me an idea. I managed to install
    manjaro linux installing /boot and /boot/efi on a USB stick and root
    "/" to nvme drive that exists on PCI-e slot.

After being able to do this, I tried installing OMV 5.0.5 directly, but OMV 5.0.5 installer froze could not reach to hostname configuration screen. I tried to install OMV 4 but maybe because of my infamiliarity with debian installer, the installer did not let me to use USB stick to use as /boot, /boot/efi, so installed directly to the nvme drive from which I could not boot.

I later installed debian 10 (netinstall) in expert mode with the same configuration and
    later install openmediavault on top of it (of course after several tries).

Although with this hack I partially achieved my goal, I am not quite
    sure about stability of this setup, and I am afraid it may break with
    updates etc. Since I will be depending on this machine for my daily/critical
    data, I am not sure about fully committing this setup.

I have currently following problems (that I am aware of)

During installation I activated backports without thinking about much. Now every apt-get upgrade wants to install linux-image-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64. But upgrade fails. Probably this affects omv and operations on omvextra also give errors...

sudo apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    linux-image-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 273 MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
    (Reading database ... 67304 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing linux-image-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 (5.2.17-1~bpo10+1) ...
    /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools:
    update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
    /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub:
    /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig: 38: /etc/default/grub: function: not found
    run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 127
    dpkg: error processing package linux-image-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 (--remove):
    installed linux-image-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 package post-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    linux-image-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

clicking kernel section of omvextras

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; grep GRUB_DEFAULT= /etc/default/grub' with exit code '1':
    Error #0:OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; grep GRUB_DEFAULT= /etc/default/grub' with exit code '1': in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/omvextras.inc(173): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array)#1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceOmvExtras->getKernel(NULL, Array)#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getKernel', NULL, Array)#4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('OmvExtras', 'getKernel', NULL, Array, 1)#5 {main}

Any insight, help much appreciated.

I have to make lots tweak to base debian netinstall to able to make it usable for me, since I have not been using debian for more than 10 years, I had difficulty caching up, apt thing, network management etc. If possible, I prefer not to install the system from scratch which I have already did a couple of times for successfull installation.

Hello,

I was about to post about my problems and luckly read about yours. I will mention briefly about my experience.

I have a limited budget and want to have docker capability, and docker stuff is only available in qnap, synology only in high end series, I have decided to buy a second hand server. I have finally purchased a second hand dell t20 with 16 gb. ram, one 2tb, two 1tb disks. Since the machine only have four SATA connection and I want all of SATA connections to use for data disk, I stupidly bought a pci-e adapter for nvme drive without checking if dell t20 bios allows booting from a pci-e mass storage.

Unfortunately I learned that by experience this is not possible. After searching through internet, a post gave me an idea. I managed to install manjaro linux installing /boot and /boot/efi on a USB stick and root "/" to nvme drive that exists on PCI-e slot. After being able to do this, I installed debian 10 (netinstall) with the same configuration and later install openmediavault on top of it (of course after several tries).

Although with this hack I partially achieved my goal, I am not quite sure about stability of this setup, and I am afraid it may break with updates etc. Since I will be depending on this machine for my critical data, I am not sure about fully committing this setup.

I do not know cache stuff. I have seen PCI-e cards with several nvme slots in them. I guess you can use them as caches, but booting from directly nvme has to have bios support. Some high end servers have built in m.2 slots (nvme probably not supported yet) in their motherboards.

You will need nvme to SATA converter, then loose a SATA connection and nvme will be degraded to SATA SSD.

My last comment, check also the PCI card slots capabilities in addition to bios. For example dell t20 only one PCI-e gen 3 capable slot.

Thank you for the reply...and my apology for responding and thanking late.

I have finally purchased a second hand dell t20 with 16 gb. ram, one 2tb, two 1tb disks. I had a dilemma to use OMV or Freenas, but after detailed reading about both, and learning that since ZFS forces me upfront investment in larger and multiple disk, learning about snapraid/mergerfs capability on OMV, I am sold to OMV.

Thank you again for the direction. After completing migration to my new server, I will play with my old faithful QNAP (8 years of constant service) and try to install OMV on top of it.

Hello,
    I have QNAP TS-259pro+ as my main storage solution for some years. QNAP has ceased support for it. It has dual core atom D525 1.8 GHz CPU and 2 GB ram currently. It has two drive bays. It has currently 2 x 2 terabytes disk installed in raid 1. The hardware is good, silent and nothing wrong with it. I need to use it for a while. Can I install and use OVM in this machine..
    Beni