Posts by Pol de Lepel

Now I did crank up security as you advised, and it is still working!
    Aso tried tuning samba for more speed, and the speed got much better.
    Thank you for everything :thumbsup:

For the people with the same problem: this is what solved my issue!

And what is your advice then? Simply setting up a user/password on OMV or doing something stupid and allowing guest logons?

There is nothing important on the NAS for now. Still in testing phase. Of course I'll try to have a good protection later on. But first let's get it to work ;) I'll first have to learn how to walk, before I can run. Step by step :)
    But it is kind of you, you pointed out the insecurity's.

@Pol de Lepel
    With the above in mind, you do have admin access to this Laptop, right? It's not a work laptop, is it?

Of course! It is an old laptop from my parents in law, which they used for their company, but I did a factory reset so my wife could use it. So it is my wife's laptop. Her name is Lina and that is also the username I used to login. (You'll understand later why I call her by name) My wife has also the admin permissions on her laptop.

Guess what: it was worth a try, because it worked! :D

I did add the user "Lina" to the users in OMV with all the necessary permissions and I could login :) It is a bit slow, but now I have fixed the main problem. :)

I already tried this some time ago, and I did follow completely the guide before asking on this thread. So this wasn't the problem.

Let's be friends all together! ^^ I now there are dangers if you lower the security.
    I'm not a complete n00b (only a little bit. :saint: )

@Pol de Lepel I created a guide with 10 screenshots hopefully demonstrating the few easy steps: [HOW-TO] Connect to OMV SMB shares with Windows 10

Client OS was Windows 10 Enterprise with all updates applied but this shouldn't matter that much since the differences between different Win10 versions are just Enterprise fortunately having stopped the horribly stupid idea to allow guest logons (which is not needed anyway, with OMV it's that easy to create and maintain users/passwords that guest logon should be disabled anyway).

I'll give it a look any way. But for now I can move on :D

First, sorry for the late answers, but it was a busy week for me.
    But it still doesn't work :(

From your previous thread, you might have an odd permissions issue.

Try setting up a new share according to this Guide, starting on page 47 (in the current version) - Creating a SMB/CIF “Samba” Network Share. Name it "Test" or something like that. Follow through the set up, then see if you can access it, and copy files to it.

That's how I installed the shares already with everything as public as possible.

Also note, if you leave your Win10 box up most of the time, it wouldn't hurt anything to reboot it while the server is up.

I restart a lot on my testing windows 10 laptop, although it doesn't has an SSD :|

In general it's a good idea to try to see at which stage a connection attempt is failing. Is it an issue with service propagation/location (name resolution)? Or something with permissions? To nail this down you could try some steps on each Win10 host and compare:

• In cmd.exe (or whatever the Windows command line is called these days) execute ping openmediavault
    • If this resolves to the IP address of your OMV box, then try to access \\openmediavault
    • In cmd.exe (or whatever the Windows command line is called these days) execute ping openmediavault.local
    • If this resolves to the IP address of your OMV box, then try to access \\openmediavault.local
    • If then you get the '"Windows cannot access ..." message the name resolution part is already resolved and it's about permissions or something else

The ping works fine. Already tested it before. And the latency is always 1ms or lower. (good wired connection)
    I think it is a permissions issue.

Also just like any Unix or Linux out there Windows has logging functionality (Event Log -- has been enhanced/fixed wrt SMB connection problems years ago). Why wild guessing when you can have a look what's going on?

@macom: can you confirm that Event Viewer --> Applications and Services Logs --> Microsoft --> Windows --> SMBClient provides reasonable information with Win10?

Found the location, but what should I look for?

The update has probably turned off Network Discovery, in File Explorer select Network in the address bar type in \\<ip address of omv> if Network Discovery has been turned off a drop down will appear, select/enable Network Discovery. Your error is related to the most recent cumulative update for 1803, I had the same issue

I tried to turn it on as asked, but no change. HomeGroup options are not available. Is that a problem?

With the inclusion of wsdd in omv connections to omv shares should be straight forward, what version of W10? Home, Pro, Enterprise, Education. Also on omv under smb/cifs disable local master browser, this setting has issues with wsdd when wsdd is updated.

On this laptop it is Windows 10 Enterprise
    And I tried it with enabled and disabled local master browser. Not working
    PS: What is wsdd?

Since your MacBook can reach the OMV server, and you mentioned an update to the Windows 10 box:

The settings in Windows firewall may have been changed, in some way, during the update. You could temporarily turn off the firewall, for a quick test.

Turned it off, but no change.

Might be worth a look.However I have one error listed which is mentioning that my server cannot be reached. For problem solving it is mentioned that this is not a SMB problem (!!!) but probably a network problem or a firewall problem. The server is currently swiched off ;-)

But for sure there is a lot of information provided that might be helpful to track down an issue.

What should I do with it? Should I turn on the logging? or can I find some useful info here?

Have a look at my posting "Windows 10 Creators failure to locate CIFS/SMB shares" to workaround the issue you're facing by simply launching the "Local Security Policy" tool, and under the branch "Security Options" and then under the option "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" , just change the settings from "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated" to "Send NTLMv2 responses only".

This did work for my PCs running Windows 10 Home and Professional back some time ago.

Well, it didn't work either... :(

To me it is clearly a Windows 10 issue as I can access the OMV's SMB shares with Windows 7, macOS High Sierra, Ubuntu MATE without any additional setup.

This said, I do not need to make these kind of changes on my Windows 10 PCs when accessing a SMB shared drive residing on a commercial NAS. Thus, it could be also an OMV setup issue.

Yeah I tried it on my father's NAS (ReadyNAS), and had no problems. Can't it be fixed in OMV? How will it be in OMV 5?

Otherwise, setup an NFS server under OMV, and use NFS client that comes with Windows 10; see the "Setup NFS Client under Windows 10" guide on how to accomplish this. This is the approach I had to take for a PC running Windows 10 Enterprise as it is locked in a domain, and I could not perform above changes despite having admin rights.

NFS could be an option, already thought about it as an backup-plan. But I hope I can get SMB working.

Hope this helps!

Nope, but thank you ;)

WindowsCannotOpenOMV.PNG

This is the message I'm always getting: "Windows cannot access OPENMEDIAVAULT" when I try to access my folders inside OpenMediaVault-server on my windows 10 computers.

On my first windows 10 laptop it didn't work. But on my old Windows 10 laptop (which wasn't updated for some years) it worked. But after updating the old laptop, it stopped working.
    So first I thought it could've been this: [HOW-TO] Connect to OMV SMB shares with Windows 10 and Microsoft Servers (thanks to @crashtest). My (old) MacBook can still reach it.

but even after fiddling around, I couldn't get it to work!

Anybody knows what the problem could be? And what I could do about it?

PS: I'm a beginner in Linux and therefore also in OMV

The Win10 Connection to OMV -> How To has been posted. It's awaiting Moderator approval.

It should be on-line sometime today.

@crashtest
    I've read it, and tried it on 2 different windows 10 computers, but It doesn't want to work :(
    SMB works on my MacBook btw. I think I'll make a new thread (edit: link).

BTW I found a little error in the pdf: on page 8 you write a code you have to put in PowerShell. In the first line for SMB1 the word "Paramters" should be "Parameters".

Do you mind posting a picture of your rack?

Nope, if that interests you... but not all the connections on the patch-panel are connected to both switches yet (1 managed, 1 unmanaged but with PoE).
    The Rack
    IMG_20190503_213200-800x600.jpg

The cupboard: it is in the hallway at the entrance so the wife doesn't see it :D
    IMG_20190503_213248-800x600.jpg

Nice.
    Note that a small Bronze is more efficient than a large Platinum at the low power you need.

I know PSU's are the most power efficient around 50%-60% of their power. So a 300W would be better, but almost only bronze or worse are available in SFX. (Or i needed to mod the chassis in an other, more difficult way to make it all ATX PSU's compatible.) But the 450W platinum is not that bad either (87% to 92% depending on the load), but has the advantage I could add more component later on. Now it is expandable.
    But you're right.

And I got my first problem (after updating windows on my old laptop):
    WindowsCannotOpenOMV.PNG
    Searching why... I found this post: https://forum.openmediavault.o…o-locate-CIFS-SMB-shares/

But that's for tomorrow.

As every new user should do, they should make a thread first in this section! So this will be my first post!

So here is the story of my first build:

• I finally moved out of my parents place (finally time, stayed way to long at home... ...although it was very good there). They have a NAS, which I maintain the whole thing, but my parents still use it. So I couldn't take it with me. I had to make my own new NAS and I wanted to 'make' my own, and not use a prebuilt system (much more fun).
    • I started to search for an OS. A few years ago I heard about FreeNAS, so I first looked for that, but then saw the specs they ask for could be expensive and difficult to find. I searched for alternatives and stumbled on OpenMediaVault. Much more lightweight, easy and big community and of course I chose OMV!
    • In my small new home, I found space to put a rack for all my network-hardware. I had 4U free space in the rack and searched for a chassis which would fit. That is how I found the chassis (see for specs lower).
    • I wanted it to be power-efficiënt in some way (because Climate Change is not a HOAX) and therefore I wanted to choose the parts in function of it.
    • I'm a beginner when it comes to everything with Linux-based systems. Already used a Raspberry Pi to fiddle around with, but only basic stuff.

Specs:

• Chassis: Inter-tech 2U 2404S

• 2U rackmountable chassis, without being to deep
      • 4 hot-swapable harddrives.
      • µATX motherboard (cheaper than m-ITX)
      • supports ATX PSU form-factor, but not standard ATX, without modding. The current ATX PSU take their ventilation from the bottom, but this chassis doesn't support it for the ATX PSU. I modded the mounting bracket so it could fit a SFX PSU.
      • Had to add 4x 50mm fans for Better cooling with lower noise.
      • not so cheap :( , but only chassis, which fitted my needs.
    • Power Supply Unit: Corsair SF450 Platinum

• Smallest Wattage (450W) for a PSU with Platinum certification.
      • Fits the Chassis
      • Needed some CableMod extension kit
    • Processor: Intel Core i3-8350K (second hand, underclocked and undervolted)

• First I wanted to buy one of those T-variants Intel sells, because of their low voltage usage. I had the Intel Pentium Gold G5400T or G5420T (which will come out later) in mind.
      • But a friend of mine had a spare Intel Core i3-8350K and could sell it to me for a good price.
      • Clocked it like an Intel Core i3-8300T for low power usage (already done and tested)
      • Has an iGPU, so no need for extra Graphics Card.
    • CPU-Cooler: Cryorig C7

• Relatively cheap, but could handle an overclocked Intel Core i3-8350K if needed.
      • Fits the chassis in height.
    • Motherboard: ASRock Z370M Pro4

• Searched for the cheapest microATX-board with under- or over-clocking possibilities that supported the cheap CPU I got.
      • Supported more than 4 hard drives.
      • Possibility to upgrade later with 4 PCIe card-slots (example: faster network card)
    • Memory: 2x G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-2800 4GB

• 8GB Ram in total, dual channel
      • again second hand from the same friend as the processor
      • For the chassis, it was better to take low-profile Memory-sticks. I to put them in slot 1 and 3, in stead of the recommended 2 and 4, but they still work dual channel.
    • Storage: (most important and expensive part)

It is already built physically, and will be used for normal storage, plex server, virtualisation,... (will see where we'll get :D ). Next: trying to get the Server working...

Edit: Some Pictures

IMG_20190427_173549-600x800.jpg IMG_20190427_173621-800x600.jpg