Beiträge von bethesdaadk

This is a great question - and I'm sorry there are no replies. I too am migrating from OMV4 to OMV5 and have over a year of Duplicati backups to B2.

To provide more detail - I have an OMV4 server and an OMV5 server. My intention is to take the data drives out of box 1 and insert them into box 2 because in both cases the OS is running on an isolated SSD.

Is there a way to migrate the DB that is foundational to Duplicati from one container to another?

As part of my migration from OMV4 to OMV5, I'm installing dockers in the new machine via Portainer that were running as plain dockers in OMV4.

I successfully installed the MakeMKV docker and successfully ripped a DVD (that I own). The MKV file was created in a folder called Output - which was a suggested folder in the instructions. I was then able to copy the MKV file to a \Media\Movies folder that Plex saw and was able to stream. So far, so good.

Since I no longer needed the MKV file in the Output folder - I attempted to delete it. This is where the problem was. It wouldn't let me delete it. I can, however, create a text file right next to it - and delete it no problem. When trying to delete the file - it said I needed permission from the very identity I was in.

I looked at the CIFS share and everything was set to public. So, from what I can tell, when MakeMKV created the file - it did so using some kind of admin rights that wouldn't let me delete the file.

Ok - I figured I would try MC. I installed it - and couldn't find the folders in question. On OMV4, I would go down to /Sharedfolders and find these folders. On OMV5 - nothing. I can't even find a /Sharedfolders folder.

So the problem is two-fold. One - why can't I delete the file from my Windows Machine when I can create and delete other files in the same place?

And how do I get these folders to show up on OMV5 using MC or Cloud Commander the way I did on OMV4 almost 2 years ago. I must have forgot something.

Thanks for your suggestions.

My current production box is OMV4 and I back it up to an external USB drive and offsite to B2 Cloud Storage via Duplicati. I have nearly 1 TB on B2 and it's extremely inexpensive.

At work, I have a large Synology with about 8TB of media that I also backup to B2 using the built in cloud backup program on the Synology. The Synology program backs up the individual files on B2 and if need to grab a file off of B2 - it's as easy as logging into the website and downloading the file.

With Duplicati - a restore must be done from within the web interface of Duplicate itself as the backup sets are useless without the Duplicati program and database to run the restore. In the event of a total disaster and loss of the server, and usb backup, I fear how difficult a disaster recovery would be. All I would have would be 1 TB of data sets - without the original server.

As I'm building a new OMV5 box, I wanted to re-examine my backup procedures and see if there was a backup program for OMV5 data that works as nicely as the Synology Cloud Backup - giving you actual files in B2 rather than "backup sets." I'm sure the backups would be bigger and might take longer, but I think the backups would also be more usable and user friendly.

Server A is running OMV 4.X. OS is on SSD. Data on 2 mirrored NAS Drives.

OMV 4.x is solid as a rock. Hardware is a dated Fujitsu Server with an Intel Core i3. Hardware performance is not an issue other than it's a large box and a little noisy.

My proposed OMV 5.x box is an HPE Microserver Gen 10 x3421

While the new hardware is not super-high powered, it is more than enough, smaller and quieter (and newer even though I bought it used).

My approach to this upgrade is based on the observation that OMV 5 is so significantly different than OMV 4 that an "in place" upgrade is challenging and disruptive. I would rather practice building my OMV 5 environment on my new box and then physically move the hard drives (data only) from Server A to Server B. My assumption is that OMV 5 will have no problem seeing the Raid-Mirrored drives.

The drives are Red NAS labeled and only about 1 1/2 years old. I don't see the need to buy new drives for this project.

FYI - I've installed OMV 5 a couple of times on the HPE as well as another spare box - and played with Plex in Portainer. Plex is running in Docker on OMV 4 on my current box.

Bottom line - is this a good approach? What would you do differently?

I purchased a used HPE Microserver Gen10 on eBay and was eager to get OMV5 up and running. I have OMV4 running on another server for almost 2 years.

For testing, I wanted to run OMV5 off of a USB Thumb Drive and would go a more traditional installation route down the road. However, the installation failed over and over again unable to load the OS onto a 16 Sandisk thumb drive. I had been installing off of an iso/usb stick and even burned a DVD to install that way, but it still failed.

I hit upon a thread that basically stated that the bug was related to the swap file being created in relation to how much RAM was in the server. Too much ram - and the USB stick wasn't big enough. The solution - remove some of the RAM - or get a huge USB stick - like 64 or 128GB I suppose.

So that's what I did. The server had 16GB in it. I opened it up, removed 8GB, ran the install again - and it worked.

So nothing has really changed here. If I browse the server, I'm told it's not available. If I ping the server approximately 3 times - literally ping it via a command prompt - that I can browse the server with Windows Explorer from the same machine.

Since the server is awake - and up and running, I'm assuming that pinging it wakes up the drives.

Is this a choice between never putting the drives to sleep vs allowing them to spin down? Is there a way to wake up the drives without pinging the server?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Running OMV 4.x for a month or two. Plex and Duplicati running well. Done some preliminary searches of these forums to find the answer to this - but it's not apparent.

I find that when I try and browse folders that are available on my internal home network, my local Windows 10 machine tells me that my OMV server is unavailable - even though it's up and running. I then login to the OMV control panel and hit either my disks or folder shares - which "wakes up the disks" and then the shares are browse-able via Windows and I'm up and running.

My disks are set to spin-down after 30 minutes - which seems reasonable. But I can't seem to wake things up without logging into the control panel.

I'm assuming that the answer has something to do with WOL, but when I dig into it - it doesn't make sense to me.

Appreciate any suggestions.

I'm by no means an expert, but I think the docker is the way to go. Check out the Technodadlife series in Youtube. He has a docker install video and a follow up video on a fix to get it working properly.

Followed the Techno-dad-life instructions on YouTube for the RDP plugin. Turned on Home Directories. Installed Plugin. Remoted in successfully.

Issues:

• File Manager shows the file structure with names only but no folder icons.
    • And I can't properly log out of the session. I can only disconnect it.

I've uploaded attachments to this posting - but I can't seem to properly format the message. If they don't show up, I'll repost.

Should I uninstall the plugin and reinstall it?

Appreciate suggestions so that this works properly.