Posts by mikey32230

In cases where I've "fat fingered" a container, I looked for and found the error using the GUI modify button. After fixing the error, it was good to go.
    Doing operations on the CLI are no different from working in the GUI - it's the same thing. The GUI simply constructs the container creation command, that's executed on the CLI. Attention to detail is required, just as it would be on the CLI. All it takes is one mistake.

When I hit the modify button in the GUI after I make a mistake with the container I receive the error I showed above. It does not allow me to ever actually edit the container.

An R-PI... I suspected as much.
    As odd as it may sound, your SD-card may be the problem. (This comes to mind when you mention "read only" settings that can't be changed.) SD-cards can be a real PITA which makes starting with good cards and backing them up (cloning them) important. If you only have the one card, the cloning process in the guide shows you how to read and create a *.img file of your working card. You really should test it for errors.

And realize this - your card might test error free and still have issues. It happens. The best thing to do is buy a new pair of SD-cards, get good ones like Sandisk (no generics), and rebuild.
    The last thing R-PI's are notorious for is under voltage with their USB power supplies. All sorts of odd things happen with a cheap PS, with a long cord, which results in voltage drop.

(Maybe consider getting an X64 platform where these issues simply disappear? Almost any X86 box would be more reliable and out perform an R-PI.)

I have heard this before about the SD cards. It does seem very odd to me though that I would cause such isolated and specific issues like this. I have a good quality samsung sd card, but still yes, my plan is to eventually build an actual quality server. I would like to get a solid grasp on everything though using the RPI, surprisingly so far its been perfectly fine except for the lack of transcoding power and backup limitations.

I

i find the command
    just after the boot i have to launch

Code
    sudo systemctl start sharedfolders-JOSEPH.mount

and the sharefolder is well link to the remote mount.
    in syslog at boot, i found that

I have the exact same issue described by the OP.

I currently am using the remote-mount plugin to mount a network share on my router. I then make a shared folder based on this remote-mount and use rsnapshot to sync backups across it.

Occasionally, if the router reboots or there is some time of network interruption, the there will be a mounting error.

The only way I’ve found to recover from it is rebooting the OMV server. I run these rsnapshot backups nightly and I’ve had to setup a scheduled task to reboot the OMV server each night prior to backups. I’d really like to stop needing to fully reboot the server.

Is there any potential solutions for this?

Your example of the invalid mount point error is exactly what I’m talking about and experiencing. Is there a way to recover from that type of simple mistake? I’m assuming it has to be done from the CLI? So many times I’ve just deleted the container and made a new one, re-imputing all the settings / env variables.

I’ve been using a raspberry pi 2.

The read-only error did not occur with mount points, instead that one came from invalid extra arguments. Accidentally separating arguments by comma instead of spaces (e.g. —arg1=abc,—arg2=efg).

If there is a way for me to salvage the containers from these situations that would be awesome.

Thanks for making and linking that guide! Definitely something I’ll ready through.

Thank you for the explanation that helps a bit. I'll look more into the CLI, but its the same as setting things through the GUI then I'm still a bit worried about losing my container configurations.

I understand that when containers restart its being completely recreated. Thats not what I mean. Usually if I edit an existing container and make a mistake (e.g. incorrect syntax for Extra arguments or commands. Or accidentally adding / having reference to a volume mapping for a container that no longer exists) then some sort of catastrophic error occurs.

Afterwards if I ever try to edit that container configuration again I receive the following error. Or I've also had the container switch to a read-only mode which I couldn't recover.

Any ideas on these types of situations? That's what I'm most concerned about and would love to have some kind of record/backup of my container configurations.

as reply on other thread; you have problems because UnionFS, use a persistent PATH that point to a single disk and your problems are gone.

I'm not sure what you mean? I don't believe I'm using UnionFS anywhere.

Is there any guidance on using Docker compose with or instead of the the OMV Docker GUI.

I seem to run into many issues with the GUI and end up constantly losing container configuration when something fails or goes wrong.
    I don't know much of anything about Docker compose yet, but its something I'd like to learn. Is it compatible with the OMV docker gui? (e.g if I make docker compose files would they show up in the GUI?)

Is there any instructions or guidance on how to interact with the builtin OMV docker plugin via CLI?

Thank You!

There is a small bug with the OMV-Backup plugin. When configuring / making changes from the OMV-Backup plugin, the GUI does not prompt to save/commit changes.

This can be confusing, because for example if you are initially configuring a backup and try to run the backup, it will error and say that the shared folder you selected does not exist.
    As a temporary workaround, I just make a insignificant change somewhere else in the GUI to force a save/commit prompt.

I'm not sure the best way to report bugs like this so please let me know if this is how we should report issues or if there is some other procedure.

Thank you

What is the best way to use, configure, maintain docker with OMV. The GUI is very nice and really helps make things easy, especially for newcomers, however it also seems to have the following issues / limitations:

• If a container can't find / mount a configured disk path / reference it crashes and completely destroys that configuration.
    • No way to backup / save docker configurations.

I read a little bit about potentially using Docker Compose to create and maintain everything. Can anyone provide guidance or references to potentially using Docker Compose with OMV. Would I be able to create and maintain things via Docker Compose and also still use the GUI for basic tasks? or would he GUI still be a separate thing?

I have accidentally lost containers to many times running into errors with the GUI.
    Does anyone have recommendations?

Below is an example of an error where a container can't start because it can't find referenced it.
    For example:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; docker run -d --restart=unless-stopped -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro --net=host -e PGID="100" -e PUID="1005" -e PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" -e HOME="/root" -e LANGUAGE="en_US.UTF-8" -e LANG="en_US.UTF-8" -e TERM="xterm" -e XDG_DATA_HOME="/config" -e XDG_CONFIG_HOME="/config" -v "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Storage/AppData/Jackett":"/config":rw -v "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Storage/Downloads":"/downloads":rw --volumes-from "Deluge" --volumes-from "Radarr" --volumes-from "Sonarr" --name="Jackett" "linuxserver/jackett:latest" 2>&1' with exit code '125': docker: Error response from daemon: No such container: Radarr. See 'docker run --help'.

Then after error, if you try to do anything with the container, the following error occurs and the entire Container and configuration is destroyed.

Error #0:
    OMVModuleDockerException: Error: "" - Code: 0 in /usr/share/omvdocker/Utils.php:74
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/omvdocker/Container.php(228): OMVModuleDockerUtil::doApiCall('http::/containe...')
    #1 /usr/share/omvdocker/Utils.php(393): OMVModuleDockerContainer->__construct(NULL, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/docker.inc(991): OMVModuleDockerUtil::getContainer('6813082d217e')
    #3 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDocker->getContainerData(Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getContainerDat...', Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Docker', 'getContainerDat...', Array, Array, 1)
    #7 {main}