Posts by Kaldek

I recently rebuilt my OMV box because I was tinkering with OMV 5 installed on top of Debian (caused more issues than it solved, backed the hell out).

After rebuilding my box I could not login to the GUI no matter whether I changed the password via SSH using omv-firstaid.

Anyway it turns out the account was locked out. I suspect that Google Chrome was doing some of its usual "I'll save you time and pre-auth" garbage and inputting the old and defunct password that I used on the previous build.

In essence, when you use omv-firstaid, also take a look at option 4 - "reset failed login counter" and see if that helps.

Thanks so much for your testing effort here. I'll look at the Debian install with OMV installed on top, because whilst I won't be copying files using SMB every day, when I do need to it's generally large files and being an InfoSec guy I'm a bit of a stickler for transport encryption.

Please report back whether you can see transport encryption benefitting from AES-NI. Personally interested in this since in 2019 we have to switch with a lot of installations away from AFP/Netatalk/Helios to Samba (even dealing with Windows clients again after a decade).

Yeesh. OMV5 kernel panics on the NUC 3050 hardware when I boot the ISO. :-/

Well, with encryption enabled it could've been the client too (since both ends of the connection need to use crypto functions) but your htop output points to the server's single-threaded CPU performance being the bottleneck (and no AES-NI in use of course).
    Since you're experienced it might be an idea to set up another VM with OMV5 (relying on Debian Buster and Samba 4.9) and give this a try.

Better not be my client - it's an i7-8700k running at 5Ghz! :)

Anyway, I'm happy to try OMV5 as this host isn't really in production use yet.

Should be reproducable then running one rsync task and smartctl -x for the disk device in question in parallel (behavior should be the same with or without UAS, just error messages will differ)?
    Most probably one of the many downsides of USB storage with Linux. IIRC I had similar problems with my JMS578 based USB3 enclosures but a firmware upgrade fixed it.

OK I'll do that with both UAS and the quirk and see what the behaviour is. I'll also see if there's a firmware update for this enclosure.

Looks similar to the 'Seagate USB3 disks with Linux' issue (ATA command pass through) as such you could try to UAS blacklist the product and device ID: options usb-storage quirks=059f:106f:u as outlined in the link above.

Please report back whether that helps.

Tried that already. Did not make a difference to this issue.

If I stay away from the SMART GUI, I don't get any USB errors. But if I go into SMART and click on "Devices" (even with SMART disabled) I get the resets.

Which kernel version and which USB3 device (uname and lsusb)?
    Rsync error on external usb disk

Linux vault 4.19.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.28-2~bpo9+1 (2019-03-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux

lusb returns the following for the external disk:

Out of curiosity:

• With which SMB version is the client connecting? (might matter)
    • Is the bottleneck the server or maybe (also) the client?

Can you provide testparm and smbstatus command output with the client connected?

Have you checked with htop for example whether one CPU core on the server is maxing out?

Clients are all Windows 10 and connecting with SMB3. I have a Samba server running on a VM which has four i7-6950X cores attached to it and it's maxing out the line (102MB/s).

The bottleneck is not the client as it's getting the aforementioned 102MB/s from the VM server.

Testparm output:

smbstatus output (with encryption disabled/not enforced):

HTOP with SMB encryption disabled:
    SMB3-cleartext.png

HTOP with SMB encryption enabled (note, it does peak and hold at 100% for much of the time):
    SMB3-encrypted.png

Hi folks,

I'm using my OpenMediaVault server just as a repository for backups of my other Linux stuff using RSYNC. As a result, I used an Intel NUC Celeron 3050 as the vault server with an external USB 3.0 8TB drive enclosure.

If I ever attempt to get S.M.A.R.T data from this disk, I get USB interface errors and USB resets. But in general, USB seems flaky and along with the bus resets I occasionally see "cmd cmplt err -2" from the UAS driver. I seem to have reduced the frequency of those by disabling USB legacy in the BIOS.

I googled the heck out of this and can't see any specific reasons why I can't use USB for storage.

Hi folks,

Is there any way I can install Samba 4.7.0+ so as to get hardware offloas AES encryption of SMB? I'm using an Intel NUC with a Celeron 3050 for OpenMediaVault, and get 112MB/s without SMB encryption, and only 40MB/s with it enabled.