Posts by DaveOB

Is your printer in another network? What netmask are you using?

netmask 255.255.255.0

different networks are 192.168.1... for my work PCs, 192.168.2... kids PC, 192.168.9... printers ( common usage )

the firewall on the mikrotik router blocks all comms between 192.168.1... and 192.168.2...

FTP problem .. hours wasted and still no solution ..

Trying to get Lexmark ( mx310dn ) to scan documents to an FTP folder.

FTP folder is located in a shared folder, on Pi ext. drive, OMV5

I have FTP enabled in OMV5

steps so far :

OMV5 created User : 'lexmark' with a password.

Access Right - User - Lexmark - Groups include users, adm, sudo, ssh, sambashare

Shared Folders - 'www' : privileges - 'lexmark' read/write

Shared Folders - 'www' : ACL - 'lexmark' read/write

I can connect to the FTP folder from my PC using Filezilla ( same User / Pass as created for the printer ).

I use the browser based interface on my laptop to adjust settings on the printer.

I can print to the printer from my PC.

In the printer settings, I create a FTP profile :

to my Pi IP 192.168.1.136

login lexmark

password

path '/www/www/scan/'

The shortcut to scan to FTP on the printer control panel is '#3'

If I connect with same details from PC using filezilla, connects without problems.

Trying to scan to the ftp address, it scans, creates a 1kb pdf 'file' in the shared folder ( can't be opened ), and then the printer reports 'Connection Error' and prints out an error report.

Error report simply says :

Scan to FTP Server Failed

Details :

FTP Server 192.168.1.136

Connection failure : -12

Connection error

Server Response:

N/A

My Pi and laptop are on 192.168.1.. domain and my printer is 192.168.9..

Both networks connected to a Mikrotik router.

Mikrotik firewall is set for direct connection between Pi and Printer

Any insight appreciated

THANK YOU MACOM

Looks like that solved it. No clue what you told me to do, but it worked :)

Thanks again.

Regards

If you still see the filesystem in the output, post

omv-confdbadm read --prettify conf.system.filesystem.mountpoint

I logged in using Putty and ran the commands from your first post. This is what I got ( I still see the extHD1 at the end ) :

then I ran :

Code
    omv-confdbadm read --prettify conf.system.filesystem.mountpoint

and got this :

I had another hard drive connected to my Pi as a temporary drive.

After removing it, I keep seeing it appear in the logs.

Have checked Disks, File Systems and Shared Folders, and it is not listed there.

But it must be somewhere, as log entries are being created every 30 seconds

Code
    May 20 06:54:10 OMVpi2 monit[888]: Filesystem '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-extHD1' not mounted
    May 20 06:54:10 OMVpi2 monit[888]: 'filesystem_srv_dev-disk-by-label-extHD1' unable to read filesystem '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-extHD1' state
    May 20 06:54:10 OMVpi2 monit[888]: 'filesystem_srv_dev-disk-by-label-extHD1' trying to restart
    May 20 06:54:10 OMVpi2 monit[888]: 'mountpoint_srv_dev-disk-by-label-extHD1' status failed (1) -- mountpoint: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-extHD1: No such file or directory
    May 20 06:54:40 OMVpi2 monit[888]: Filesystem '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-extHD1' not mounted
    May 20 06:54:40 OMVpi2 monit[888]: 'filesystem_srv_dev-disk-by-label-extHD1' unable to read filesystem '/srv/dev-disk-by-label-extHD1' state
    May 20 06:54:40 OMVpi2 monit[888]: 'filesystem_srv_dev-disk-by-label-extHD1' trying to restart
    May 20 06:54:40 OMVpi2 monit[888]: 'mountpoint_srv_dev-disk-by-label-extHD1' status failed (1) -- mountpoint: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-extHD1: No such file or directory

Hi

Looking for a way to backup / copy a load of files from my OMV5 external USB drive to my Google Drive.

Something that not rocket science - beginner - lower intermediate level.

Preferably free :)

Is rsync suitable for this application ?

I have Portainer, so I assume running in a docker container would be the better option ? with a browser based users interface ?

Any guides to set this up ?

Hi all

Running OMV 5.5.16-1 on a Pi4

Wanting to access movies from the Pi USB Drive.

DVD player is connected wired cat5 to hub, Mikrotik router assigns static IP 192.168.1.115 and the DVD Player appears in the Mikrotik DHCP Server Leases list as correct.

On the DVD screen, I can 'change device' and I can see the shared folders on my PC and my Laptop.

I can't see any device for the Pi USB drive.

In OMV, I have 'Shared Folders' which include folder 'Plex_media'. That folder on the drive contains folders for movies, music, photos tv

In OMV, SMB, Shares, I have 'Plex_media' listed as a Shared Folder.

But the DVD Player is not seeing the Pi USB Drive.

Do I need to create a 'DVD' User on OMV ?

extra info :

I can connect to the Plex_media folder from my PC / Laptop using a Mapped Network Drive

The DVD player does not have any settings / options to set a username / password in the network settings.

Edit: Sorry, misread. It goes over LAN if possible.

I think that is not true. The idea of Home users is that they don't have to pay anything if you already have a plex pass. You may verify that in Plex forums.

Sorry, when I said "Home Owner Account" i should have been more specific, and said the Plex Pass Account.

I guess each family needs to evaluate the $40 per year for a single Plex Pass, or for each family member device paying the once-off $5 'per device' cost.

As you pointed out, only the Home account owner can add / delete content from the shared library, so maybe it is better for each family member to have their own Plex account, and share their libraries with each other.

It has nothing to do with OMV or shared folders.

Thanks. so I don't need to give access to the Plex folders on the home NAS.

So if I invite a family member/s ( each with their own Plex account ) as a Home User, and they want to access media that is stored on the NAS, would that stream go out via the internet ( use bandwidth ), or would the Home User view the media over the same based network ?

Only con that I see with each member having their own account, is that each user then has to pay for the device/s that they use ( android phones or tablets ), whereas with the Managed User setup, they all piggyback off the Home Owner account for using remote devices.

Hi all

Just installed Plex on Pi4 / OMV5 as a docker container - followed TechoDad's video.

I can connect from my desktop pc to Plex thru my web browser using the Plex IP address and port ( :32400 ), and happy with the results.

What's the best way to share the content with other family members ( wife & kids ) on the same home network ?

Should they each have their own free Plex account / login ?

Do I need to add Privileges for each user to the shared folders ?

The folders that I have shared on my OMV are :

Code
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAShd1/Plex_app
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAShd1/Plex_download
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAShd1/Plex_media
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAShd1/Plex_photos

Would be ideal if each family member could add movies / downloads to the family folder, and maybe also have their own folder for stuff only they would watch.

Do I create a sub-folder for each family member on the NAS so they can store downloads that can be accessed by other family members ?

try docker exec nginx php /config/www/EXDdata/exdgo.php in scheduled tasks

both of these options work. I assume that your suggestion ( the second line ) is more secure or stable.

Code
    sudo docker exec -u root nginx php /config/www/EXDdata/exdgo.php
    docker exec nginx php /config/www/EXDdata/exdgo.php

I am guessing that the OMV Scheduled Tasks are automatically run 'sudo' and that use 'root' is not required in the command as the Scheduled Task dialog already contains the 'root' as the user

Thank You sincerely for your assistance Morlan. I would not have got this working without your input and guidance. Much appreciated.

Should the php file be run as root?

i have no idea ( subject unknown to me )

I did try changing 'root' to 'pi' and the message was simply 'error occurred' and the details show :

Code
    Error #0:
    OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export SHELL=/bin/sh; sudo --shell --non-interactive --user=pi -- docker exec nginx sudo -u pi php /config/www/www/EXDdata/exdgo.php 2>&1' with exit code '1': Got permission denied while trying to connect to the Docker daemon socket at unix:///var/run/docker.sock: Get http://%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fdocker.sock/v1.40/containers/nginx/json: dial unix /var/run/docker.sock: connect: permission denied in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/cron.inc:177
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(588): Engined\Rpc\Cron->Engined\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatuszG...', '/tmp/bgoutputz4...')
    #1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/cron.inc(181): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
    #2 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Cron->execute(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('execute', Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Cron', 'execute', Array, Array, 1)
    #6 {main}

Oh sorry:

docker exec nginx sudo -u root php /config/www/www/EXDdata/exdgo.php

still results in an error :

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export SHELL=/bin/sh; sudo --shell --non-interactive --user=root -- docker exec nginx sudo -u root php /config/www/www/EXDdata/exdgo.php 2>&1' with exit code '126': OCI runtime exec failed: exec failed: container_linux.go:349: starting container process caused "exec: \"sudo\": executable file not found in $PATH": unknown

You could either add cron to the docker container via a container mod.

Or you could run it via schedule jobs in omv. With this method you need pass the command with docker exec. For example create a scheduled job as root: docker exec sudo -u abc php /config/www/myscript.php

set the Command in the OMV Scheduled Tasks :

Code
    docker exec sudo -u root php /config/www/www/EXDdata/exdgo.php

Got this error :

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export SHELL=/bin/sh; sudo --shell --non-interactive --user=root -- docker exec sudo -u root php /config/www/www/EXDdata/exdgo.php 2>&1' with exit code '1': Error: No such container: sudo

Problem with linux php ftp nginx portainer docker openmediavault problem.

With some awesome assistance and guidance by Morlan, I have managed to get Nginx installed and can access the files.

Next problem is uploading files using php ftp_put from the Nginx based php scripts, to a remote ftp web server.

Was running OMV4 on RPi3B+ with Nginx as a plugin. Worked 100%.

Upgraded to RPi4 4Gb and OMV5.

OMV5 does not have plugin for Nginx, so has to be in a Container in Docker.

So Installed Docker, Portainer, and created a Stack in Portainer for Nginx.

In the stack script, I set the Volume to my existing Shared Folder, and I can map network drive to my PC and view & edit these files from my PC. All good so far.

Started testing php script, and had to make a few small path changes, then everything worked 100%, except for an ftp_put command.

The ftp connect and Login both work, but the ftp_put simply creates a zero sized file on the destination online ftp server, and after about a minute, then pc browser says : " 504 Gateway Time-out ".

Found an error log that contains :

2020/10/21 18:27:46 [error] 333#333: *1 upstream timed out (110: Operation timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.1.91, server: _, request: "GET /EXDdata/testupload.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: "192.168.1.136"

I know this script worked perfectly when on the RPi3B+ on OMV4 with Nginx as a plugin, so I assume the problem is related to the new Pi, Docker, Portainer Container settings, or some config on Nginx.

Anyone able to diagnose this ?