Beiträge von Thiswatch

Thanks for the replies. This is kind of where it all just comes unstuck for me. Again, apologies for lacking the appropriate knowledge.

If you want full bitrot protection on one HC2, with automatic bitrot correction, you could use a single big HDD and use half as redundant duplicate storage for btrfs. Btrfs can then use this duplicate data to automatically and transparently fix any bitrot errors. And then, as suggested above, use another HC2 in the same way for backups in several versions.

This does sound like a good idea with the exception of tkaiser's point: what if the disk fails? But I love the simplicity of the idea and the automatic bitrot detection/fixing. I would diffidently consider this option,

I would better use btrfs on both OMV instances (full disks without partitioning) and then let btrbk create snapshots on both and send them efficiently via btrfs send/receive to the 2nd OMV instance.

Is this possible to do with two HC2s, or does your suggestion presume a single HC2 with two USB disks (based on your previous posts regarding USB I think i know that answer...)? Do they need to be physically connected together, or would it be possible to have them in different locations?

Thanks again.

I am trying to research and take in all this information, yet I feel just as lost as when I started. I think I may be looking too much into it and getting caught up in particulars that don't matter for my needs.

I want to ensure personal documents and photos are kept safe. This seems to lead to a minimum of a two disk system with btrfs (and I already back up to backblaze). Movies & TV are somewhat curated, so would only need a couple of terabytes of storage for the foreseeable future. Radarr/Sonarr to be used, they will then be streamed to a Shield.

One thing the seems to be constant in these threads is to avoid USB where possible, or at least USB with the A type connector? An idle power consumption of under ~10w would be preferable.

As @dkxls informative summary of @tkaiser excellent posts shows - the Helios4 seems to fit most of the criteria - though it just seems a little bit overkill and expensive for what I really need? The HC2 would be great with the exception of wanting to use btrfs to backup to a second disk and the fact that it uses a USB host.

As far as I understand it - no such device currently fits... How bad is it, really, to have a HC2 with USB for storage? Or is the Nano pi m4 with SATA Hat a better option than the HC2?

Apologies for the confusing text, but I am just as confused about what I need.

TL;DR:
    -Low power consumption
    -Fairly low storage capacity required (~3-4 TB)
    -Reliable backup of personal documents, media not required but would be 'nice'

Not for me ;)
    The NAS of my dreams would occupy two real SATA slots, an energy efficient ARM SoC equipped with two SATA ports and 2.5GbE, the whole thing can be powered by a 12V/4A brick and will idle at below 3W with disks spun down. :)

Is there anything that comes close to this that you can recommend? I can easily forgo such strict networking speeds. Just a simple device for personal backup and media storage accessed through SMB.