Beiträge von mattiscb

Thank you for your time and effort.

* Nobody wanted to change the php-version OMV runs with. only a fpm-pool in the nginx-Plugin that runs with another Version

* thanks for telling me that the nginx plugin is no longer available in OMV5, saves me the time and trouble of installing OMV5

* Docker is a much newer technology (2013) than IPv6 (1998). This thread is not about IPv6 but PHP-Versions (and maybe docker)

I'll have a deeper look into docker, whenever i can spare the time. of which I have little (and that's why i liked OMV)

I'll have to re-evaluate if OMV is still the solution for my Home-Server.

While you can host web sites with OMV, it is a NAS. If you need multiple versions of php, docker is the best way without potentially causing issues with OMV.

i host exactly one website on my NAS: nextcloud. Nextcloud wants a more recent PHP version to update to a more secure Version with more and improved features.

PHP-FPM is an absolutely great way of offering different PHP-versions. e.g. Plesk does it that way, too

Docker is NOT a good way of doing this, It's just a bit too much effort (a container with own virtual network NATing, with another nginx that cannot be administrated from the OMV GUI, with php, that's not integrated with the systems package update system...) when it can be achieved by a technique that is already implemented. Just give us an option to choose one of the installed PHP-FPM-versions.

if OMV is just a NAS, then why does it have an nginx-plugin? Why does it have Docker? No NAS i can buy of the shelf has docker.

please accept: OMV is a management tool for a debian based homeserver and not only a NAS (of the shelf Consumer NAS have become more of a home server. compare the feature set with a professional NAS yourself. )

and please accept: when people ask for different PHP-versions they probably need it. For testing, developing, or simply for different webguis or just because the version offered by the OS as default is outdated.

And OMV itself could do with less dependence on singular Version and a more modern PHP-Version. Performance and security have greatly increased since 7.0.

don't get me wrong: OMV is a great software and I appreciate the effort you do in developing and supporting this software, but not listening to reasonable requests of actual users, not offering an update path from OMV 4 to 5 is making me shift away from OMV

LOL. You ever heard of "Never change a running system"? I mean yeah, if you know what you are doing and you want to use IPv6 to get familiar with it or so. OK. But you should never use sth newer just because it is new. This way you gettin lots of unnecessary trouble. And no, not everyone needs IPv6.

IPv6 is NOT new. its from 1998. It's the standard IP-version for all modern operating systems. my DSL line is IPv6, my servers run IPv6. i get a static IPv6-Adress for my home DSL, i will never get a static IPv4 for my DSL. If we had this conversation 20years ago, you might have had a point. but it's 2021

On my system (OMV & debian on a HP Gen8 Microserver) I had a lot of postfix and bounce processes running and over time they slowed down my system a lot by causing a lot of iowait. I stopped the postfix service and the problem was gone. see below.

So my questions are:

Does OMV need postfix? Or can i safely disable / uninstall postfix? I don not want an SMTP Server running on my NAS if I don't have to.
    For notifications i use an external SMTP-Server Server.
    did anyone else experience similar problems or was that just me?
    Is there a problem with the installation image? Why is postfix installed and running in the first place?

Thanks and keep up the good work!