Posts by yds

I had set up Duplicati to do weekly backups to Backblaze B2 storage. Back in April 2021, the backups stopped working. The error I am getting is below. Not sure why it stopped working, as I didn't make any changes to the system. I know I am using an older version of OMV, but it mostly works, so I'm reluctant to upgrade to a newer version (primarily because I also us VirtualBox plugin, which isn't available in newer versions). Any advice??

I have migrated my NAS storage to a new machine (a Ryzen 1500 6-core build, with 32GB DDR4 memory and 10TB of storage using zfs mirror). I'm going to use my old OMV machine (an older AMD FX4100 quadcore, with 2GB memory) as a backup for my new NAS box.

The old machine has 7 2TB WD red drives. What would be the best way to set up these drives? I was considering setting it up as a RAID5 configuration, to get maximum space. Single disk redundancy for the backup should be ok, no? With only 2GB of memory on this machine, I don't think I can set up a zfs RAIDZ config. Do I even need redundancy for a backup machine? My existing backup machine just has a bunch of single disks that I write selective backups to. No redundancy.

Thoughts?

Ok. So stick with 3.x is what I read from that. Is there a timeline for when 4.x will become the current stable version? Trying to avoid any upgrade issues from 3.x to 4.x if I spend a bunch of time setting up my system under 3.x.

Going to be starting a fresh OMV build to replace my current OMV server. Wondering if I should use 3.x or 4.x version? I see that the 4.0.9 ISO is available on the download page. Does this mean it is out of beta?

Looking for a guide on how to set up Wordpress and MySQL in docker container(s). New to docker, so the GUI fields are still a bit of a mystery to me, though trying to learn as I go. But if there was a guide somewhere to assist with Wordpress and MySQL, it would help me.

btw I said vbox assuming this is virtualbox, is this correct?

That is correct. And adding vbox user to the dialout group did the trick! I didn't know the user to use, which is what I was getting at. Now I know vbox is the VM (or more properly I suppose, the VirtualBox) user. Thanks subzero!

I think what you need to do is export the serial port over the network via tcp. I have done this in the past with a usb to db9 cable. The usb port end to the router (linux) and the serial end to the physical server. Then i could connect either by ssh into the router then fire minicom or screen, or use socat directly to the exposed tcp port in the lan side of the router.

The key word is ser2net which is available in standard repo.

Woah subzero79. Not understanding that at all, and I think the solution for what I need is much simpler. I'll try describing again.

My Win10 VirtualMachine running on the OMV host needs access to the physical serial ports (I have a Davis VP2 weather station that connects via a serial cable). If, from within OMV, I manually change permissions on the port ("chmod 777 /dev/ttyS01"), my Win10 machine can see and use the port just fine. Problem is that the permissions change doesn't survive on reboot of OMV. I believe however, that I can add the VM user to the "dialout" group on the OMV host, and then the VM should be able to use the port, and survive reboots.

My issue is that I don't know which user I should add. Is it my username? I would have thought it most likely I want to use the username that the VM is running under, since the VM is set to run on reboot, so it can't be using my username since I won't be logged in until after reboot. I just don't know what username the VM is running under.

I have a Win10 VM that needs access to the serial ports on the OMV host machine. I understand I can add the VM user to the dialout group in order to get permission to use the serial ports. What is the VM user name? That part is not clear to me.

I'm not sure where it needs to be to "install" it but you can put it anywhere (as long as the vbox user has privileges to access it) for attaching to the VM. You could even download the iso to the guest and extract it to run the installer. When you "install" it, it just attaches the ISO to the VM and starts the setup program for you.

Maybe I'm not doing things right.

I create a new VM. Start the new VM. If I then console into the VM, my mouse is not synced properly.

So I go the the VirtualBox page, and click on "Settings", and choose "install guest additions".

When I click on that, I get the following:

I have placed the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso in the folder indicated in the error message, and it have full permissions.

I did try as you suggested, and copied the iso to the guest OS and launched it from there, and that worked. But to be able to do that I had to use the wonky mouse to navigate on the guest desktop, which was somewhat frustrating.

My understanding is that clicking the "install guest settings" is that the VB is supposed to automatically mount the ISO in the guest and then run it. But maybe I'm misunderstanding something. I admittedly am a VB noob :-)

Once we download the file, where does it get placed? I downloaded the most recent ISO (5.2.0) and put it in the directory indicated in the error message (/usr/share/virtualbox/), but I still keep getting the error everytime I try to install it from the VirtualBox Settings menu.

How’s that possible that your disk is mounted as /media/nasdisk? And not uuid or dev-disk-byid-label?

Yes, it actually does have a uuid, not what I show as "nasdisk". I just replaced my uuid long string in my previous posts with "nasdisk" in its place for brevity. Sorry if this threw you off.

I don't understand your second post though. I haven't done any manual mounting (not that I recall anyway). The output I showed above is that OMV gave me after running the "mount" command on the commandline.

So instead of changing the media drive to mount with exec, I instead copied over the sab scripts to my /usr/local/bin directory (as was another suggestion in the link in my previous post. Made sure they had full execute permissions. Did a test, and worked.

I'd still like to know what could have possible changed by my upgrade of Sabnzb. I had used the scripts in the directory on my \media mount for years, and never had an issue. Surely the Sabnzb upgrade didn't cause permissions on the \medal to be changed??

It appears it is mounted as noexec.

/dev/md127 on /media/nasdisk type ext4 (rw,noexec,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,stripe=384,data=ordered,jqfmt=vfsv0,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,_netdev)

I haven't made any changes to the disk or mount since I did the sabnzbd upgrade, so not sure why access the the scripts would have changed.

The disk is a raid array. How do I go about changing it to automatically mount with exec privileges?

Bit more info. From the log:

2017-10-02 21:27:29,726::DEBUG::[newsunpack:189] Failed script /media/nasdisk/Storage/downloads/scripts/sabToSickBeard.py, Traceback:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/opt/SABnzbd/<USERNAME>/newsunpack.py", line 166, in external_processing
    startupinfo=stup, env=env, creationflags=creationflags)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1259, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
    OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

Here is the output when I run ls -la on the scripts files:

drwxrwxrwx+ 3 nobody nogroup 4096 Oct 4 2014 .
    drwxrwxrwx+ 7 nobody nogroup 4096 Sep 8 2013 ..
    -rwxrwxrwx+ 1 root root 83 Sep 8 2013 autoProcessTV.cfg
    -rwxrwxrwx+ 1 root root 3134 Sep 8 2013 autoProcessTV.py
    -rwxrwxrwx+ 1 sabnzbd users 3101 Oct 4 2014 autoProcessTV.pyc
    drwxrwxrwx+ 2 nobody nogroup 4096 Sep 8 2013 backupsofolkd
    -rwxrwxrwx+ 1 root root 979 Sep 8 2013 hellaToSickBeard.py
    -rwxrwxrwx+ 1 root root 1051 Oct 2 21:51 sabToSickBeard.py

New problem after upgrade to latest version of Sabnzb. The sabtosickbeard.py script no longer processes my TV downloads. I get the following error message in my sabnzb details page:

Exit(-1) Cannot run script /media/nasdisk/Storage/downloads/scripts/sabToSickBeard.py

I haven't made any changes to my setup, the scripts are in the right place, and have the right permissions. Don't know why this is no longer working. Any ideas??

Managed to resolve issue by shutting down Sabnzb, editing the sabnzb.ini file to make it port 8085, then rebooting OMV. Opens on correct port now.

Not sure why trying to set through GUI did not work.

Just upgraded my Sabnzb install from 1.x to 2.3.0. I had my previous version running on a different port (8085) from the default (8080). After the install of the upgrade, it went back to the default port. From the Sabnzb gui, tried to change the port to 8085, but after save and reboot, it continually reverts back to 8080. Any ideas??