Posts by shockwave

I have been using OMV for a while now and it has been great. When I first created it, I installed Nextcloud and was using that as my main method of storing/organizing files. I have decided to stop using Nextcloud and therefore need to rearrange some of my shared folders. For example, I have "folder1" and "folder2". I would like to move "folder1" and all of its contents into "folder2". "folder2" will become the parent of "folder1".

What is the best way to do this? I am confused about how this works.

You need an OpenVPN client application on the machine you will be connecting from. You do not need a third party VPN service.

This is the HowTo I used.

Code
    https://chrislazari.com/pfsense-setting-up-openvpn-on-pfsense-2-4/

So, just to be clear. I don't need any kind of third party service. I just need to correctly setup my router and my computer? I don't need any kind of dynamic dns or dedicated IP?

I have been using OMV for a couple of months now and really like it. So far, it's been flawless. There are a couple things keeping me from dropping some of my other online accounts.

1. I would like to be able to access the server remotely using OpenVPN so I am not opening the entire system up to the internet. I have followed several tutorials, but so far have not managed this. I feel there is something I must be missing.

2. Because my Nextcloud encryption is self-signed I get a warning each time I connect. It wouldn't normally be a big deal, but I am unable to add it to Gnome accounts. It is also stopping me from syncing Joplin notes.

If I can figure out these two things, my system will be near perfect and I will be able to get rid of some of my other online accounts.

Would greatly appreciate someones help.

I have been running OMV for a couple of months now with Nextcloud, Jellyfin, and Bitwarden. Everything is connected to the Network through a PFSense Router. I really like it. It has been stable, backups are easy (both data and OS), and it's really easy to use. There are a few things that are stopping me from getting rid of some of my other online services.

One, is that I still haven't managed to access the system from outside my network. Preferably, I would like to do this with an OpenVPN connection so I am more protected. I followed some of the tutorials I found on Youtube, but none of them worked. I am not sure what the issue is but I feel like maybe there is some step I am missing.

The other major thing is that I am running a private certification which causes me to get a warning every time I access the Nextcloud. This wouldn't be a big deal except it blocks me from adding Nextcloud to Gnome accounts, which blocks me from seeing teh files on my desktop. Recently, I tried to sync Joplin notes to it and ended up with the same problem.

I would be very grateful if someone can help me solve these two issues.

After doing a full backup with that drive and then unmounting it, the extra data seems to be gone. I am now at 6bg of OS drive.

This following file, listed in srv is no longer needed...I don't think. The drive failed and has been thrown away. It isn't attached to the system and doesn't show up in file system anymore. Can this file also be deleted? It's showing about 1.1GB of data.

dev-disk-by-id-usb-Seagate_Ultra_Slim_MT_NA95j42B-0-0part1

The backup works once I got the file mounted. I have attached a screen shot. The job is: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-System/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-5gbUSBbackup/

Here is the file system for srv

Code
    drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 Sep 6 13:00 dev-disk-by-id-usb-Seagate_Ultra_Slim_MT_NA95j42B-0-0part1
    drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 Sep 21 17:31 dev-disk-by-label-5gbUSBbackup
    drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 Sep 21 17:31 dev-disk-by-label-Backup1
    drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 Sep 21 17:31 dev-disk-by-label-System
    drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Sep 30 11:26 dev-disk-by-label-USBbackup
    drwxr-xr-x 2 ftp nogroup 4096 Sep 4 18:02 ftp

You're right line 5 should not be there and you can delete it, just wanted to make sure.

So, it looks like I did this again. I got a new external USB drive and created a new backup job. Unfortunately, the drive wasn't remounted after creating the filesystem. Once again several Gigs of data were added to the system drive. Only this time, I can't figure out where. Last time it showed up in the main folder (/) as dev-disk-by-label-Raid1. This time nothing like that is showing up. Is there another place the files might have been put?

I recently installed OMV and Nextcloud. Thanks to the help from this forum, I now have it running the proper backup and am trying to transfer all of my photos from google (about 150gb worth) to a Nextcloud folder. I have downloaded all the files and now need to transfer them to Nextcloud. What is the best way to do this? Would Rsync be a good option? If so, what is the best way to figure out the correct folder path on Nextcloud?

I deleted all SMB shares and then all associated folders. Its still not allowing me to delete the array in raid.

I figured it out. I needed to unmount the raid in the File System and then I was able to delete it.

Thank you for your help. Now to setup Rsync.

I removed one of the drives from the raid, reformatted it and restored data to it. When I go back to Raid however, I am unable to remove or delete it. Can I just wipe it under discs and then create a new file system for it. Once this is done will it disappear from Raid?

There isn't, none that I know of, you would need to rsync your files to the external, then break apart the array (this can be done in the gui) wipe both drives and start again. To begin, rsync back to one drive and set up your shares as the folder structure will be in place on the drive, then rsync to the second drive. Then set up a scheduled job for rsync from drive 1 to drive 2 in after hours, until it's all reset and running leave the usb alone at least you know you have a backup.

I am not seeing a way to break apart the raid. Do I just remove the raid or is there specific separate option? Or remove one of the disks for raid, wipe it, create new file system, and then remove the raid and then do the same with it and then use rsync between the two?