Posts by shockwave

Quote from macom

the setting is called -icds
    It is used to enable/disable checking the size of the target drive
    before starting the clone process. Worked always for me, but others had
    issue with it.

Thank you. This worked for me. I was able to make two copies of the os and then changed the settings for the USB plugin.

I am almost ready to seperate the two drives in the raid1. I was going to do one more rsync, but it seems the brand new Seagate drive I was backing up to has died. The disk turns on, but there is no light and the computer doesn't see it anymore. I may have one more drive that will work.

No go on closing the USB drive holding the OS. Apparently the 2 new 32GB drives I purchased are slightly smaller than the current 32GB drive.

Is there a way to make this work, or should I just scrap the current USB and install on one of the new ones? That would allow me to have 2 backups (one I am currently using, and the one of the ones I just purchased)

Quote from geaves

you could try rm -r dev-disk-by-label-Raid1 from the command line

This is what I eventually did.

When I installed OMV I decided to avoid the root account so logging in with root wasn't an option for me. Now that the files are deleted, I will install Clonezilla and try to clone the USB that holds the OS.

This is the list

Sorry, I think my wording may have been kind of confusing. In the OS drive, I have a folder titled "dev-disk-by-label-Raid1". That is the one I can delete correct? It is about 12GB or so (probably about the size of what was accidentally copied there). All the same folders also show up in the shared folders directory which is the same 366GB that is one that drive.

Thank you. I got it to work. I realized that I was putting in the wrong port number-the one for ftp instead of ssh. Once I changed that it worked.

Looking at the folders that were supplied earlier, shared folders seems to be there. I also have "dev-disk-by-label-Raid1" which contains all those same folders again that are in shared folders. Considering I keep all the shared folders on Raid1, which of those folders shouldn't be there?

I installed Filezilla on my computer (laptop) and tried to connect. So far it isn't working. Is there anything special I need to change. I enabled access of ftp and left it on port 21. I get the following error:

Code
    Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
    Error: Could not connect to server
    Response: fzSftp started, protocol_version=8

I am running a VPN on this computer, but that hasn't caused an issue with anything else I have done.

This is wrong, it should be using the same as the source the drive hasn't been set up correctly for OMV, un mount it, go back to disks and wipe it using quick wipe, back to file systems, create, select the drive give a label then format.I've just tested this with an external USB giving it a label USB, and the mount is /srv/dev-disk-by-label-USB

After doing this, I was able to do the backup. Is there a way to view/delete the extra files that ended up on my os drive while in OMV or do I need to shutdown and stick the drive in my computer? My main OS is Manjaro.

Thank you. It is certainly a learning process. Luckily, when you tend to
    learn a lot when things go wrong. I think installation will go much
    faster when doing it a second time.

Thank you for the awesome instructions. I was able to figure it out and run the scheduling, but I don't think it has finished successfully, yet. I get a long error list each time. I am running it again at the moment.

I decided to make this backup before I did the OS backup so unfortunately, I don't have a backup for the OS yet. If I am unable to get everything working I may chalk it up to gaining experience and reinstall. At the moment, I only have Nextcloud and Jellyfin installed. They should be easier to install the second time around.

It ended with an error again. I've pasted the code below minus the document names. My main raid drive is only 376GB and the drive I am trying to backup to is 2TB (seagate), but it only shows 74mb on the seagate drive. Meanwhile, the OS drive has now increased to 16.16GB. I attached a screenshot. I am using the following script. rsync -av /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Raid1/ /srv/dev-disk-by-id-usb-Seagate_Ultra_Slim_MT_NA95j42B-0-0part1/

The reason I chose to use Raid 1 was because I thought that was like having a backup. It appears I was mistaken. I will run Rsync to backup to the external drive and then separate the two drives. Will there be any issue with my docker programs once I put the info back? Will I need to change anything?

I will also edit the USB plugin to finish optimizations.

Thank you to everyone for all the information and help. I want to make sure this is running right and that my data is safe more than anything else.

So it appears to Rsync for the entire drive to the external USB I can use the following command mentioned on page 64 of the guide: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DATA/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-RSYNC/

Can this be done in the plugin or do I need to open a shell? Following the guide, I was able to create a Rsync backup. However, I made a slight mistake and had an extra space after the the end slashes and it started putting files on the OS flash drive (it was mostly empty and it is now 15gb). What is the easiest way to remove the the files that were copied to that drive?

I installed the flash memory plugin, but didn't do the second manual step because the video I followed mentioned that it bad made his system read-only the previous two times he did it and that just installing it gave 90% of the benefit. Is that correct?

I have an extra 2tb external hard drive I can setup with r-sync. In that case, should I leave the current two 3tb drives in raid 1? I actually have an additional 3tb drive I plan to use once I can get the data off it. It came out of a WD MYCLOUD that no longer works, but I am unable to mount it so far to get the data off.

Also, what about using Duplicati instead of Rsync? Is that another option?

I installed the flash memory plugin, but didn't do the second manual step because the video I followed mentioned that it bad made his system read-only the previous two times he did it and that just installing it gave 90% of the benefit. Is that correct?

I have an extra 2tb external hard drive I can setup with r-sync. In that case, should I leave the current two 3tb drives in raid 1? I actually have an additional 3tb drive I plan to use once I can get the data off it. It came out of a WD MYCLOUD that no longer works, but I am unable to mount it so far to get the data off.

Thank you. I will take a look at Clonezilla. I installed the flash plugin.

I already setup my drives as a mirror (raid 1). Is it possible to change it to Rsync without losing all the data? What makes it better?

After quite a bit of research, I decided that OMV was an ideal solution for running my server. It has been running for about 1 week and so far I really like it. I installed OMV 4 onto a USB Flash drive (32gb) as that was the best option for my system due to power limitations and not purchasing additional hard drives.

I have purchased 2 additional 32gb usb flash drives as backups.

What is the best way to create backups of the system? This is just a home server, so if need be, I can shutdown the system and simply copy everything on the drive to the other USBs. I would prefer something a little more automated though. What is the recommended solution.

On that same note, what is the recommended method for data backup. I have two 3TB drives running in mirror. I have a 2TB usb drive that I would like to create an additional weekly backup. Is this possible without too much hassle?

Thanks for the help. Really enjoying the simplicity of this system.