Beiträge von chbrandt

I apologize if this is answered in 100 threads and I just couldn't find them, but I'm hoping this is fairly basic. I've bought a Raspberry Pi 4 and followed TechnoDadLife instructions here to get OMV5 installed and running. I have also attached a 6TB USB drive to my raspberry Pi as the drive I want to backup to. Ideally, I want to get my Pi set up so that I can plug it in somewhere in my house, preferably using a wifi connection, and set it up so it will make routine backups of my desktop, laptop, and if possible, an Android phone and iPhone data. I really have no idea if I need to use Rsync, USBBackup, something else? I would prefer an easy way to select windows folders and back them up on an easily defined schedule. Do I need to hassle with installing OMV5 on both computers as well?

1) I need to get my OMV5 connecting through RPi4 via Wi-Fi.

2) I need to set up scheduled backups to back up specified folders from my two Windows 10 PCs to HDD attached to RPi4.

3) Backing up the Android and iPhone data would just be a plus if possible; could probably find a way to back them up to PCs and then PCs to OMV.

From my searching and watching other videos and reading guides, this seems like a complicated ask, but it feels like it should be an extremely common use-case and is probably much simpler than I'm making it. Thanks for any help!

Chris

I'm new here and apologize if this is in the wrong place or if I ask stupid questions. I'm trying to do what seems to be very simple; install OMV4 on RPi 4 and use urbackup to back up specified folders on my Windows 10 desktop. I got OMV4 installed using @TechnoDadLife videos. I also used his video to get urbackup installed. The backups were all going to the boot drive instead of the attached flash drive. Side note, I'm testing with a flash drive until I get everything set up and working, then I plan to get two powered external drives to set up a raid with the RPi4. I put the flash drive in my Windows PC and used DiskGenius to format as Ext4. Using shellinabox (Thanks again TDL) I was able to create the BACKUP and urbackup folder structure explained by @crashtest here: https://forum.openmediavault.o…?postID=148316#post148316

This is where I got stuck. I couldn't get the folder permissions set up correctly using Linux (I'm a Linux noob). When trying to CHMOD the directories as 755 I was getting Input/output error, then when I tried a couple different commands, I got 'Read-only file system' error.

I'm also a bit worried that even if I get the folders with the correct permissions and get the backups working, let's say I have a failure down the road and want to get my files BACK onto my Windows 10 PC...is that going to be really hard? Currently, when I put the flash drive in my Windows 10 PC, formatted as EXT4, it flips out a little bit and wants to format it. I'm totally open if there's an easier way to do what I'm trying to do here but couldn't figure it out with rsync, usbbackup, krusader, so thought maybe urbackup was the best option since it was the only one I could get relatively close with. Thanks for any help!

Chris