Posts by Nickie

hi everyone, first of all i'm a linux newbee, so i've done most things from the GUI, but i am able to connect to terminal with PuTTY

so im trying to remove a drive called Data3Blue, which is empty, but if i uncheck DATA from the snapraid gui then a check command will return:

Code
    Disk 'Data3blue' with uuid 'a93e6233-9ecb-4659-8e31-d33f3817d9db' not present in the configuration file!
    If you have removed it from the configuration file, please restore it

the same applies if i try to do anything else to take the drive off:
    Delete Samba/CIF shares

Delete the Shared folders

Unmount and Delete the file system from file systems tab ( shows "referenced : no' )

and turn S.M.A.R.T monitoring off for the physical disk(s), then turn S.M.A.R.T off completely
    Delete the drive from SNAPRAID tab .

so i do know the FAQ says

To remove a data disk from the array do:

• Change in the configuration file the related "disk" option to point to an empty directory
    • Remove from the configuration file any "content" option pointing to such disk
    • Run a "sync" command with the "-E, --force-empty" option:
      Code
      snapraid sync -E
      The "-E" option tells at SnapRAID to proceed even when detecting an empty disk.
    • When the "sync" command terminates, remove the "disk" option from the configuration file

but as a noob, this raises more questions than it answers too, so the way i understood it,

from terminal, logged as root, i tried mkdir /home/empty/ to crate an empty folder called empty because i'm cheeky

then, assuming the configuration file mentionned is indeed /etc/snapraid.conf, i tried to nano /etc/snapraid.conf

so then my conf says :

Code
    #####################################################################
    # OMV-Name: Data3blue Drive Label: 1toblue
    disk Data3blue /home/empty

the sync goes on, and mentions replacing the drive's UUID, assuming it's normal, i'm supposed to remove the "disk" option from the conf but once this is done, if i try to run a sync, i get the error:

Code
    Disk 'Data3blue' with uuid 'adf7648b-d022-4683-ab82-d660e6501d10' not present in the configuration file!
    If you have removed it from the configuration file, please restore it

same error, new uuid though...

so i suppose i can remove the drive now but i'm still stuck with that drive's occurence in that empty folder?!

then i have found somewhere that i could put a file in the empty dir, then run a sync, then delete that file, then a sync gives me this:

Code
    WARNING! All the files previously present in disk 'Data3blue' at dir '/home/empty/'
    are now missing or rewritten!
    This could happen when some disks are not mounted
    in the expected directory.
    If you want to 'sync' anyway, use 'snapraid --force-empty sync'.

so again i run snapraid sync -E which worked , so i nano'd back into the conf, added a # before the disk line, and ran a sync again and it went fine....

so, it seems that id did work, but,

isn't it a lot of steps?
    did i do the proper thing there or is there a more straightforward method? i feel like i was fumbling around a LOT :| and it seems that the conf file has to be modified 3 times in total with this method?

how could i have done better?

so i'm not even sure how it's actually supposed to work, BUT,

i've connected my SMB shares to my computer so they are mounted as drives and i have no problem copying foles to the NAS and reading them etc, BUT since i'm also storing some softwares here and there, i thought i'd try to execute some as it'd be convenient to have them over there anyway, BUT then i get an error message that says:

"Windows cannot access program.exe
    you do not have the authorization to access \\Omvnas\program.exe. contact the administrator to require access"

so i've tried granting myself every right possible in shared folders and users but still same result...

so should i just deal with it or is something not working?

(OMV 4)

okay i have successfully installed Cockpit and from there i have a bunch of bookmarks about pci passthrough tutorials and so on ...

i'm looking forward in making it all work fine, but even though i like OMV so far, it seems like it'll be a tough work so i might have a dumb question here and there on the way, hope you won't mind :D

so far i'm set with OMV 4 with Snapraid + UnionF, which does work but i got some strange behavior sometimes (doesn't start filling another drive when one is full, and then gives a transfer error ?! ) next only gotta run some W10 LTSC on the top of that and i'll be golden!

i almost considered buying unraid, fiew :D

Where did you read that you HAVE to do this?

i didn't see it spelled out directly, but i infered it from seeing all guides, tutorials and advices omitting this whole idea in favor of adding a whole other layer of complexity through proxmox ...

perhaps the concensus applies to OMV 4 since the 5 is still beta and that's the reason why ?

looks like i have some more research ahead of me, but if i can have everything run on top of OMV without having to spend whole days editing config files by hand, i'll be golden :3

hi everyone,

As i'm building my weird multipurpose NAS, i'm trying to figure out how to do it best , the thing i'm trying to achieve is :

virtualize W10 over a linux NAS for reliable file vault whose spare power can be used by an arcade cabinet

i know, some guru swill ask "why not just run the arcade cabinet in linux anyway?" and the answer is teknoparrot, Supermodel, and preconfigured portable Launchbox... so maybe one day i'll make another build that's limited to MAME and Retroarch but for now i wanna have the choice :)

So LTT has achieved this a few times with unRAID and the process appears to be pretty streamlined and user friendly, forwarding the GPU and inputs to the VM, assigning cores, and run the thing ...
    but unRAID has this big price tag and annoying USB-stick licensing mess.... real-time parity is cool tho

My understanding is that unRAID uses KVM, is it right? then can't OMV also use KVM the same way?
    My google search gives me lots of result about using PROXMOX instead and virtualizing both OMV and Windows separately but i don't know, is it worth adding another hypervisor? what would be the best approach? maybe even another one?!

halp!

hi everyone,
    first i'm a total noob regarding OMV and linux in general, however i'll do my best to not flood the forum with dumb questions :P

i did get snapraid running on omv4 to a useable state with mergeFS and SMB sharing, despite several "oh.. ok but why?!" moments regarding the general ergonomy of the whole setup process, i'm now wondering about wether some thing can or can not be done through the GUI, such as :

Quote from FAQ

format the parity file-system with the -m 0 -T largefile4 options

is there a button for that somewhere ?

Quote from FAQ

To remove a data disk from the array do:

• Change in the configuration file the related "disk" option to point to an empty directory
    • Remove from the configuration file any "content" option pointing to such disk
    • Run a "sync" command with the "-E, --force-empty" option:snapraid sync -EThe "-E" option tells at SnapRAID to proceed even when detecting an empty disk.
    • When the "sync" command terminates, remove the "disk" option from the configuration file.

sounds like a lot of manual steps for something extremely common in the context of a drive pool ?

i'm gonna dig more into the snapraid manual, but it's not referencing the OMV plugin unless i'm mistaken so i wonder how limitating is the user-friendly GUI :)