Posts by vishnumrao

I have a backup image of the OMV6 installation on another identical USB. Its from a few weeks ago when I had just installed and configured OMV6 to my needs. I will try to go back to my older back up and see if that also shows this issue.

I just got around to checking with the gdisk tool. The output of the tool makes me very nervous. It says there is no GPT at all.

root@OMVonAMD:~# gdisk /dev/md0

GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.6

Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table

entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries.

Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage.

Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table

entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries.

Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage.

Partition table scan:

MBR: not present

BSD: not present

APM: not present

GPT: not present

Creating new GPT entries in memory.

Command (? for help):

Should I even attempt to fix it or should I just leave it alone since the primary works?

I have OMV6 running on USB drive with data on a 5x2 TB drives. A couple of days ago when running "fdisk -l" I noticed a warning in red font below. Its red font even on the terminal.

Disk /dev/md0: 7.28 TiB, 8001054310400 bytes, 15627059200 sectors

Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 524288 bytes / 2097152 bytes

The backup GPT table is corrupt, but the primary appears OK, so that will be used.

The backup GPT table is not on the end of the device.

My data appears to be intact, but I can't be sure. I am worried about my data. I do have a backup on a USB hard drive, but this RAID5 is my primary.

Any thoughts on this warning and how to fix it?

Using fsarchiver you need to be aware that it backups the content of a filesystem. So to restore you need to have the appropriate partitions and filesystems. Before restoring to a new SD card or USB stick you need to create these partitions and filesystems.

Thanks for explaining how fsarchiver does its job.

That is why the plugin creates a backup of the partition table. So, you can restore the partition table and then use fsarchiver.

One question: Can the omvbackup tool functionality be expanded to be able to restore to a new boot drive? i.e. while you are booted into OMV6, user plugs in another drive and copies the backup just created into the new drive.

I guess there is chances that people may flash to their data drives. So risk is there.

Thanks for the restore links. I will be looking for that rewrite/update, especially to see it formatted properly in the Guides section.

Anybody who has read my posts know I bang the dd drum, mostly because it has just a few simple steps for both backup AND rescue. The only drawback is that it is not automated. This restore info will make me revisit the plugin.

Since you are the dd person, would you explain how these two options are different?

dd - use dd to clone the OS partition to a compressed image file.

dd full disk - use dd to clone the entire drive to a compressed image file.

Thanks. I will check out systemrescue cd.

My understanding of partitions and their usage in Linux is limited.

I read the recommendation to use fsarchiver, but my question still remains unanswered. what does fsarchiver do and how's it better than the dd options?

Also how to restore after I make a backup?

I understand there is google, but forums are there for a reason. Not everything can be found on google. And i cetainly don't get how your fdisk -l and mounts response explain my questions.

I wish I acumen to understand the script.

I have installed the plugin you had recommended fsarchiver. is there any documentation on the details of what each option means?

from the backup config page:

dd - use dd to clone the OS partition to a compressed image file.

dd full disk - use dd to clone the entire drive to a compressed image file.

fsarchiver - use fsarchiver to clone all partitions to an archive file

borgbackup - use borgbackup to backup the system to an archive file

rsync - use rsync to sync files to the destination directory

Isn't dd and dd full disk the same? Isn't OMV using the entire drive for the OS ?

I ran the dd full disk option. It produces a bunch of files. How do I restore to another drive?

Apologies for the dumb questions.

Would you please give me the exact name of the backup plugin? I am not in my local network now, I can't check it now. I just want to check online for more info on the backup plugin.

Thanks for the responses.

My OS is a 32 GB USB stick.

I was considering to use dd as I have used it on my raspberry pi, something like

dd bs=4M if=/dev/sda of=/target_location/backupimage.img status=progress

But I wasn't sure if that was the recommended method for OMV. I will checkout the backup plugin as well. My goal is to have an automated way to make a monthly backup of the image and maybe keep n & n-1 images.

Another question: I don't think my entire 32 GB is used by the OMV installation. Anyway to shrink the backup image? something like image-shrink as part of the utils package here? I guess shrinking will also help me downgrade to a 16GB drive, since I don't have a matching 32GB one.

What is the recommended method to backup the OS on an OMV6 installation? I am referring to back up of OS drive which in my case is on a USB drive.

I wish OMV6 had a way to just save the settings to a configuration file that can be ported to a another OS drive. This should work as long as the data drives haven't changed. Just my wish list.

Over the last few days I am getting an error when mounting or unmounting any filesystem on connected SATA disks or USB disks. I get a 502: Bad gateway error after I try to apply the changes. After this error, all connections to the server are lost including SSH access. After this, hitting power button does not initiate a shutdown and I have to either do a hard powerdown (long press on power button) or a reset to reboot the server.

Since my OMV server runs headless, I connected a screen to see if any error messages are shown. When power button is hit to initiate shutdown, some error messages are shown which seem to indicate inability to access / partition. From my preliminary analysis, it appears that when ever I try to mount or unmount a filesystem, my filesystem mounted at / is getting unmounted.

Has anyone seen this issue and any solution?

:thumbup:

As the name "hd_idle" says, I assume that a spindown command is only issued when the disk is idle. Anything else doesn´t make any sense. In the readme of hd_idle one can read "hd-idle is a utility program for spinning-down external disks after a period of idle time". hd-idle utility, modified to use hdparm tool to spin down disks

I just went with the brief description on the github page that said "hd-idle utility, modified to use hdparm tool to spin down disks" I guess I should RTFM. :-). Thanks for the clarifications.