Posts by BKG

I had the same problem(error message) except when I was trying to create shared folder inside existing shared folder, which I was able to do in the beginning but couldn't after all of a sudden. I could only create shared folders for the new path(not under existing path).

Hey Guys, after playing around with fsarchiver I decided to put back the original ssd and it won't boot now.

So what what was done was:

1. installed OMV 4.x
    2. installed extras, etc.
    3. created a backup with backup plugin using fsarchiver method
    4. removed ssd and put it away
    5. installed a different hdd and installed a fresh copy of OMV 4.x on it
    6. tried systemrescuecd to restore to it from the backup, basically used that hdd with the OMV on it as a guinea pig for all sorts of backup testing
    7. removed the hdd and installed ssd(the one I removed in step 4)
    8. booted the system and got a message - "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE OR SELECT BOOT MEDIA..."
    9. booted from systemrescuecd and checked with fdisk -l all the devices were there - sda1,2,3

Qeustions:

1. what could have possibly gone wrong and at what point?
    2. did the original backup with fsarchiver corrupted the file system?
    3. could UEFI settings get changed? I remember during OMV install the installer asked something about boot and UEFI was mentioned.

Can anybody elaborate on this?

Thank you

Also question: what are the steps to restore the system with openmediavault-backup for the following scenario:

OMV version: 4.1.30-1

1. backup created with fsarchiver method
    2. backup is on the USB drive
    3. original system drive is removed from the machine and a new blank drive with the same capacity was installed to be used as a system drive

System restore steps:

1. Install fresh copy of OMV
    a. Does the new copy of OMV must absolutely match the backup one? In our case - 4.1.30-1
    2. Install and run System Rescue CD
    3. Next Steps?

Thank you.

Just create a shared folder on one of the data drive and choose this shared folder in the GUI of the backup plugin as backup destination.

Make sure you are able to restore from the backup.

An alternative solution is to use Clonezilla to clone the complete system drive. This is done offline but easier to restore.

Line highlighted in red - :) I think I am overthinking it. I think I got it now. My confusion was in the wording . Please let me know if I got right:

1. SHARED FOLDER in settings means - the location where backup is saving to
    2. There is no need to tell/point the plugin in the settings to the system drive since it is the purpose the plugin was made for.

Make sure you are able to restore from the backup - what could be the complications?

Correct. You have to create a share for the backups.
    Making backup of the OS on the OS does not make really sense when you want to recover from a failed drive.

Making a backup of the OS to the same location where OS is installed making no sense and I understand this. I guess my question was - how to use openmediavault-backup. Let me be more specific. I want to migrate from QNAP to OMV and for now(testing purpose, system learning, braking, restoring, experimenting, etc) I have built a small OMV system on a NUC with SSD sytem drive and two 2.5" drives for data. Of course one of the scenarios I want to implement here is - system drive loss/corruption and system restore after, which I understand is achieved by copying/cloning the system drive partitions. Question: how can use openmediavault-backup to achieve my goal? Thank you.

Correct. You have to create a share for the backups.
    Making backup of the OS on the OS does not make really sense when you want to recover from a failed drive.

Making a backup of the OS to the same location where OS is installed making no sense and I understand this. I guess my question was - how to use openmediavault-backup. Let me be more specific. I want to migrate from QNAP to OMV and for now(testing purpose, system learning, braking, restoring, experimenting, etc) I have built a small OMV system on a NUC with SSD sytem drive and two 2.5" drives for data. Of course one of the scenarios I want to implement here is - system drive loss/corruption and system restore after which I understand is achieved by copying/cloning the system drive partitions. Question: how can use openmediavault-backup to achieve my goal? Thank you.

Hi bvrulez,

I highlighted lines in question in your guide. I tried to use openmediavault-backup plugin but I don't see how I can point it to my system drive or choose a destination. I'am currently using SSD as a system drive. When I open the plugin options only let me choose shares. it looks like I'am missing something? Thank you.

Here is an update, I guess I was asking too much trying to RDP into Win that wasn't installed yet :). I installed RealVNC and everything worked as expected.

Trying to RDP into VB but cannot connect.

Virtual Box 5.2.24
    OMV 4.1.26-1(Arrakis)

Might be making silly mistakes. So currently have OMV/VB installed on amd64, machine is on the local network. Port 9000 is forwarded to the host. Network adapter is set to bridge. VM system - Win10. I am trying to install it on the VB. Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG