Beiträge von onebutters

By way of update, I've successfully installed OMV5 (a struggle in it's own due to conflicting advice) and confirm I have successfully imported the zpools from FreeNAS 11.2 using the OMV ZFS plugin. I encountered a slight hitch/error with the import process using the webgui however this blog post showed me how to import it via ssh which was almost too easy.

What's the mdadm error.

Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier. I have succeeded installing OMV5 on my HP Microserver now. I'll give a summary of my experience below.

During my initial research for HP Microserver Gen8 OMV setups, I was led to believe that I should be changing the interface in BIOS from default B120 to Legacy IDE with the intention of letting OMV handle the (soft) RAID (https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenM…4_on_hp_microserver_gen8/). I'm not sure if I interpreted the instruction correctly, however I ran with this and encountered the previously mentioned mdadm errors. After endless permutations at my wits end, I decided to disregard this advice and revert back to the B120 interface as a last ditch effort and the install went flawlessly.

So much for months of on/off attempts!

I'm not surprised you would need a BIOS hack. The HP BIOS is terrible, options are hidden in disparate sections and there is insufficient granularity for booting options.

The drives have been backed up and I'm ready for them to be nuked if need be.

OMV only boots up in one config: installed on SSD with no other drives connected. HP using AHCI controller. As soon as I try to load the HDDs, mdadm error.

I just spent tonight testing out a variety of USB boot options (internal, external, SD card) and none of them worked - still mdadm error or unable to boot because I can't get HP to set the boot order specifically for connected devices to it just guesses (wrongly).

Next step will be to remove the HDDs, bootup the SSD and play around with the mdadm config file. This will be the last chance saloon with OMV on HP microserver. I may consider dusting off an old HTPC with OMV and/or reverting back to FreeNAS provided it still works and the HDDs were unchanged.

I'm really struggling with this and am exhausting having spent about a week of nights up until very late trying to get this to work. I'm coming from FreeNAS and wanted to switchover as I'm getting busier in life and was really attracted to having something on linux which was easier to maintain and could be potentially used for other things like home automation as well as being a better match for my lower tech capabilities and requirements. Unfortunately this single error has given me the complete opposite experience - I'm astounded to say that FreeNAS, although it took a bit of time to setup, was a breeze compared to what I'm going through now.

I have a HP Microserver Gen8 with 2x 4TB drives (formerly in onboard RAID I think). I've just tried a whole bunch of things suggested on this thread including:

• Setting controller from RAID > AHCI > IDE (Legacy)
    • Mounting the OMV and checking the mdadm.conf (did not exist in OMV5)
    • Modifying the grub after checking the blkids
    • Downgrading to OMV4
    • Installing on onboard SD card slot (along with a combination of the above)
    • Installing on SSD via CD drive bay (along with a combination of the above). This booted initially but then when I added the HDDs, it produced the mdadm error.

No matter what I'm doing, I still get the mdadm error. I'm running out of options to try but next steps to try:

• Checking if there's an mdadm.conf on OMV4 and modifying.
    • Reintroducing the working SSD and then adding the HDDs in. I have a suspicion that it has to do with changing mount names but have no idea how to fix it.
    • Several HP Server forum posts have suggested that I need to use the onboard RAID to create a separate RAID0 the boot SSD and keep the HDDs in the desired RAID config (I was previously 1) however doesn't this go against OMV convention of using software RAID?

Happy to take suggestions but am also noting this down for others in case they can get some benefit from this.

Hi there, I've been using FreeNAS for a number of years on a home server running Plex and filesharing with 2 HDDs in RAID1. It's working fine now but I feel like I'm not really making the most of it.

While I had time at the beginning to experiment with FreeNAS, I'm increasingly low on time and am looking to transition to a lower/easier maintenance option for when inevitably something goes wrong (better do it now than be forced to later when something goes wrong).

Did OP follow through with this? Any lessons learned?