Posts by sabamimi

macom:

Well what you propose is correct and working BUT all the actions are made under the One user ownership (for the docker) and would require complete mapping of all users under samba for the first solution.

A native WEB based file manager is (synology) or would (OMV) run under the NAS Web login user and that's a lot nicer.

I my case, a solution running under docker (one mapped user) is sufficient (and I like OMV very much!) but it is not the complete solution.

interesting topic/discussion...

due to history since I had an Haproxy proxy installed on on a dedicated box before I installed OMV5 on a new server with a lot of dockers in it....,

I prefer to stick to this configuration.

This keep the all reverse proxy topic very simple and highly configurable

(just my 2 cents....:))

Hi there,

Not a stupid question (only an answer can be ...but I will take the risk :))

You need to think about a running docker container as a virtual OS + a program (like PI-Hole or Nextcloud) online for as long as the container is in a Running state. Indeed , as you correctly imagine, when the container is Stopped (not running anymore) all the files modifications made by the various programs in the container are lost !
    In order to save the data between 2 runs of the container , they implemented the concept of "Volume". a volume is a way to "map" a folder or a file from to container to the hosting machine. This way when you restart the container he can "find" his folder and file thanks to the Volume mapping.

Hope this helps to grasp the Docker concept of Volume

Happy discovery to you!

Images changes is something else: it is more a change in the "template" used to create the Container and Images changes are more like a new "version" of the Docker implemented program (like a new version of PI-Hole)

Portainer stacks are really easy to learn and are widely documented / used by docker's devs.
    It is a real efficient mean to deploy dockers and to manage NAS applications.

In my (very modest) opinion, only some very closely link to the OS / users access rights applications should be handle directly by the NAS itself.

I mean functionalities like FTP / Web server / SAMBA / WEBDAV etc....should be handle by OMV itself.

Portainer (or any other leading docker management app) was a good choice

Wow this might be to opposite... a bit over overkill...but I like it. Im going to start looking into this now. Something like this is exactly what I was looking for.

I use it only (mostly) to send URLs to friends and family to help them download a file .....

I also use it for my own usage as a web clipboard.

Take a look at Droppy:

Droppy - Self Hosted File Storage Server

I have installed it on Docker / Portainer (help available if needed) but other options are possible

Features

• Responsive, scalable HTML5 interface
    • Realtime updates of file system changes
    • Directory and Multi-File upload
    • Drag-and-Drop support
    • Clipboard support to create image/text files
    • Side-by-Side mode
    • Simple and fast Search
    • Shareable public download links
    • Zip download of directories
    • Powerful text editor with themes and broad language support
    • Image and video gallery with touch support