Posts by sabamimi

rebonjour,

Clearly a permission issue:

Did you create the folders:

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-USB_DOCKER/Config/Transmission

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Torrents/Torrents

before creating the container? (you should have)

and you don't need to specify the watch subfolder, the container should create it.

sidenote:

- you should create another user and not use admin

- beware of Adopi ....;)

....just what you just provided....:)

few questions:

- is your PUID, GUID an OVM user with R/W access to your sharedfolders

- anything in the log?

- any VPN involved?

is the download acctually happening ?

(raulfg3 is faster than me....:))

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but can you answer my other question? I would like opinions on which version of OMV I should run if I like the way 2.2.14 works (simple!) but would like something a bit more modern.

Docker means a learning curve but when done, it bring A LOT of possibilities.

well it depends on your NAS activities profile.
    If you are willing to list the things you are doing currently in your NAS it would be easier to give you a meaningful advice. (and some help if needed)

OK, then it is because of the VPN does not support port forwarding

(most VPN do not.....)

....But it is not the end :-)

You can still seed and download with the Torrent software (transmission in our case) port closed but you need an active peer to initiate the "conversation"

(so you have less peers)

Note : you can check the port status in the transmission web interface

the full explanation is the following:

YES, you can seed with closed port too.

• If the port is closed that only means you can't accept incoming connections, but you can still connect to peers who accept connections. In torrent terminology they say that you are in passive mode.
    • If your port would be open then you would be able to accept connections too. In torrent terminology this is called active mode.

So it works like this: A client in passive mode can connect to a client which is in active mode, but not to a client which is in passive mode. A client in active mode can connect to both active and passive clients.

So if your port is closed that only means you can't connect to other peers with closed ports. That means that you may get less peers and because of that worse speed. But if the torrent is frequent and there are lot of peers your client will likely be able to find enough active peers to max out your connection. If the torrent has few peers then it is likely that with active mode you would get much better speed. (If that rare case happens that all the peers are in passive mode, then you won't be able to download/upload anything. Actually non of the peers would be able to do anything as everyone is passive, you will have to wait until an active peer comes in.)

https://askubuntu.com/question…-but-seeding-is-happening

You can try:

- changing torrent source

and also (sometime helped me):

- restarting the container

- changing the VPN server in the configuration (- OPENVPN_CONFIG=)

good luck !

"starting" is OK (it should last 5 to 10 minutes)

"starting" does not prevent transmission to work.....

so back to my last question:

"If the web interface is working then is transmission working (downloading torrents) ?"

OK dont stop it....,

Starting is OK: it is staying on starting for a long time and then it will say "healthy"

BUT,

you did not answer me :

1. - OPENVPN_CONFIG=de4-udp5

2. post the stack

If the web interface is working then is transmission working (downloading torrents)

No, you don't need to store the ovpn or anything in the volume pointing to the config file.

The volume definition is to make sure that you do not lose anything when you recreate the docker (persistant data versus volatile data that would be recreate from scratch every time you re-create the container).

use : Portainer -> stack -> select your stack name -> than Editor

You should use an environment variable in the stack file :

- e OPENVPN_CONFIG=de4-udp5

and then

(look at the possible choices in https://github.com/haugene/doc…ee/master/openvpn/vpnbook)

When this is done,

You should stop your VPN to check if when the VPN (you use to checkin from outside) is not working the container is OK.

This was your first (and very valid guess)

Fine that's OK : the /24 means that your local address is using a full 24 bits range starting from 192.168.0.0

Again this is OK

One more question:

Why did you comment out the OPENVPN_CONFIG line?

It sould pointing to the VPN server config file to use (the server country to use)

OK , I start to understand where you are .....

My advice is to remove completely this docker and to create a stack.

A stack is basically a file containing all the "parameters" that portainer will use to create the container.

The good thing with the stack is that it is very easy to go back to the stack and make modifications or adjustments to the parameters and portainer will "recreate" the container.

So all the parameters needed are remember in the stack and can be easily adjusted if needed.

If you want to go that route, tell me and we will adjust the stack definition I gave you in my first post, to match you configuration & need.

how do you create the container?

with a docker commande line or by using portainer stack (docker-compose) file ?

in any case please share this input (replacing with XXXXXX any sensitive data like your VPN username/password) so I can try to help you