Posts by kimbaz

You might want to check the transfer speed once you enabled the spindown settings. In my case (WD Elements) the writing speed dropped from 80/90 MB/s to 3/4 MB/s for some reasons.
    After I while I found out that it was one of the SMART services (even if I did not enabled them) that was keeping my external HDD awake. Once disabled (I did not need it) the HDD went to sleep/spindown without setting anything in OMV. I also did not need hd-idle.

Today I notice that the hdd was spinning down so I double check the status of the [smartmontools] and I noticed that the system reported [Active: failed] (it failed the device scan);
    After I rebooted the system the service was active so I decided to stop it (I saw that the external hdd was added to the 'monitor' list even if I did not enabled the SMART feature in the webui).
    I'll now double check if the hdd spin down properly.
    @Rd65 thanks for your support.

From what I read in the forum other people had the same/similar issue. Unfortunately the hd-idle solution does not seem to be working properly for me.
    I wonder if there is a way to log access to the usb disk to verify if a process/client is accessing the hdd preventing the spindonwn.

Hi Rd65,

thanks for your reply. It looks like hdparm does not support my external hdd. When I execute it in the shell I get the 'bad/missing sense data'.
    Also the smart query returns that my disk does not support write cache;
    The strange thing is; when I get a fresh installation of OMV for a couple of hours (maybe a day) the hdd seems to spin down properly without setting anything in open media vault,
    then it keeps constantly spinning even when nothing is using it.
    I just have a shared SMB folder on it and I disabled all the services including SSH.
    But even when no one is accessing samba the disk does not spin down.
    I also tried hd-idle with the same result (well at least hd-idle does not affect performance).
    Very strange.

A small update. It looks like the issue was caused by hdparm.
    This was the content of hdparm.conf:

Code
    quiet
    /dev/disk/by-id/usb-WD_Elements {
    apm = 127
    spindown_time = 120
    write_cache = off
    }

I removed the content of the file and the hdd write speed is back to 90MB/s after a system reboot

Problem is back again. After a couple of days the external drive was not spinning down so I enabled the following settings in Storage > Disks
    Advanced power management: 127 Intermediate power usage in standby;
    Automatic acoustic management: Disabled
    Spindown time: 10 minutes
    Write cache: disabled

Now I get
    READ:

Code
    hdparm -t /dev/sda
    /dev/sda:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 274 MB in 3.00 seconds = 91.24 MB/sec

WRITE:

Code
    2+0 records in
    2+0 records out
    41943040 bytes (42 MB, 40 MiB) copied, 8.99048 s, 4.7 MB/s

I reset all the parameters to the default ones but still the same results;

Is there any way to reset the HDD settings to the default ones?

Hello,

I just installed OMV 4 on my rock64-2GB. I downloaded the image from https://sourceforge.net/projec…ngle%20Board%20Computers/
    The system seems to be stable but the usb3 speed connection seems to be very slow.
    I'm currently using a usb3 WD Elements XFS formatted;
    Here are some console outputs:
    lusb:

Code
    lsusb
    Bus 005 Device 002: ID 1058:25a1 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. Elements / My Passport
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Code
    lsusb -t
    /: Bus 05.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 5000M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 5000M
    /: Bus 04.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 480M
    /: Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-platform/1p, 12M
    /: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-platform/1p, 480M
    /: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=dwc2/1p, 480M

fstab:

Code
    # >>> [openmediavault]
    /dev/disk/by-id/usb-WD_Elements /srv/dev-disk-by-id-usb-WD_Elements xfs defaults,nofail,noexec,usrquota,grpquota,inode64 0 2
    # <<< [openmediavault]

dd:

Code
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/srv/dev-disk-by-id-usb-WD_Elements/test1.img bs=100M count=1 oflag=direct
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    104857600 bytes (105 MB, 100 MiB) copied, 38.9054 s, 2.7 MB/s

I tested the same drive with my laptop and I was able to get at least 80MB/s. Also with OMV on the RPi it was a lot faster.

The maximum I can achieve with the Rock64 is 3.8MB/s
    Connecting the hdd to the usb2 ports I get 3.7MB/s

I tried searching the forum but I could not find a solution for my issue (most of the time the issue seemed to be network related)

Please let me know if you need more debug info.

Thank you.