Posts by RUsum1

You can use any user to run the container. It should not be "root" and the user must have access to the media files (in case of Plex).

No need to pull the image in Portainer manually. If you run the docker-compose file in Portainer the image will be pulled automatically.

This is why I keep getting confused. You say the user must have access to the media files but I had a thread before asking how the users are actually used. There doesn't seem to be anything that uses the usernames on each computer. I have no idea what "user" my laptop is considered but it can access all of my files just fine. My desktop cannot though (both are running Windows 10). On my desktop I can open a browser, navigate to 192.168.1.3 and log into OMV with any of the accounts I have set up, but when I try to actually open the folder in the network tab to view my shared files it says I don't have access.

Also, at what point exactly does the Plex image get pulled automatically now? From the OMV screen I click OMV Extras > Docker Tab > Portainer Dropdown and click Open Web > Log in > Local. From here it doesn't matter where I go (images or container>add container) but I don't get anything to give me a Plex image. The only thing that shows up in the window is portainer/portainer:latest (like in the first post). When I first made this thread I went straight to the container tab to try and set everything up and people said I had to go to the image tab first to pull the Plex image. That worked then but it's not working now so I have no idea what step I'm missing.

Every time I feel like I'm making progress, I hit a road block.

I updated my OMV through the Update Manager (now on 5.2.3-2). Then I went back to extras and removed Docker then re-added it. This time when I click Add Portainer it works. (Should I still run that OMV-firstaid line even though Portainer is working again?)

Now I'm back in Portainer and when I go to the images tab to try and add the Plex image, a red bubble pops up that says "something something something connection refused". If I remember correctly, it automatically pulled up in the Images tab for me to pull

Edit 1: I clicked your link macom. I have three users created already but I don't really even know what benefit that gives. I thought that was for each computer to access my shares but I don't think that's it. So I have to create a user specifically for Docker? I didn't have that before and I kind of got Plex to work so I'm just curious what the reason is for that step.

Edit 2: What steps are needed to get the plex image to show up in Portainer?

Thank you

Okay I'm coming back to this now. I put it on the back burner for a little bit but would really like to get it up and running.

I uninstalled Plex but now somehow my Portainer is completely messed up. While in my OMV page it says No Portainer Container Found and clicking on the installation button gives me "DNS error. Exiting ..."
    What the heck happened? I just updated several things today and my Docker shows that it's 5:19.03.5~3-0~debian-buster

Well when I make a user profile, I can give it permissions to certain folders on my OMV server. But how does my OMV server know what user is trying to access what? So if I have OMV-Laptop that is allowed to read/write everything but I want OMV-htpc to only be able to read from the folders, how do I accomplish this on the HTPC computer?

This is a common "solution" that is a terrible idea. Your problem wasn't solved, only masked by completely circumventing filesystem security.
    You should learn about basic Linux concepts. There are endless resources available that will help you.

I agree this didn't solve my issue. I have user profiles set up within my OMV so how do I "log in" to OMV from a given computer using those different user profiles? That's what I wasn't able to find

Thank you for help

I dug through a lot of threads and videos. Found the TechnoDad video about common issues (which did help partially solve my issue). I was finally able to send files from my HTPC to my OMV server. However it didn't help me figure out my initial issue. My problem was solved by changing stuff to allow any and everyone to read/write/execute. So what is the purpose of making different Users and stuff? I don't know where these Users are actually put into play. So far I've only been able to do all or nothing regarding accessing my server.

I have my server set up and can read/write files from my laptop. I just tried to get my HTPC (Windows 10) to access my files but it's not letting me paste to my folders. Maybe I'm a dumbass, but where do I log in as a user in order to gain access to read/write? The first time I went to Network>OMV it said I couldn't. I closed the window and simply went back to it and this time it opened up where I could see all of my shared folders. But when I try to move something from my HTPC to my OMV it says "Destination Folder Access Denied". I imagine it's because I haven't actually logged in somehow? I tried opening a web browser from that computer, going to the 192.168 address, and logging in as the User, but after a successful login that didn't work. Am I missing some sort of obvious step?

Thank you

I think it was this article which I followed last time. One person mentions that logging in through http://192.168.1.101:32400/web/index.html doesn't work but it works fine if login through plex.tv/web. I tried that just now and now I can at least see my library options on the left but it still says that my OMV server is not online even though I can reach it through Windows explorer just fine.

I found more info on Plex website. It suggests to log out of all Plex accounts and the Plex server, then to log back into the Plex server. So I removed my server from the device list for it to log out but now when I try to log back in I get "There was an error signing in". If I then type plex.tv/web it will automatically sign me in but then I'm not really in my Server, rather just my account or something it seems

How did I mess this up so badly?

I'm getting very close to getting this to work but not fully.

I can see my media now but it's saying my connection is indirect. I found this link that describes it. OttoKerner had a couple of suggestions. One is that something changed in the firewall. I haven't done anything to the firewall and my network still says "secured" instead of "public" (if that's what I'm supposed to be looking for). So I went on to step 2.

I am using Tomato firmware on an R7000 router. I was able to find where to change the DNS to manual and add 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. I can't find anything related to "define an exemption from ‘DNS rebinding protection’ (this is a feature of your router) for subdomains of the plex.direct domain." I don't know if my router can't do this or I just don't know where to look. Maybe there is an easier solution entirely? Does Plex somehow need the password to OMV to gain access?

And I don't know if it's related to this "indirect connection" issue, but some of my files won't play at all. It seems like AVI files are giving errors whereas MP4 files play fine. The AVI files play just fine if I open the file itself, they just won't work through PLEX on my PC nor my AppleTV.

I think I'm understanding it more now. I'll come back to this if/when I need to Bind another volume.

I have a Plex Lifetime Pass and I'm signed into my account on my laptop. I also tried on my AppleTV 4k but it won't show anything in the libraries yet either.

As for my multiple discs, I have six 5TB hard drives. I wanted to start ripping my own movies and shows to my hard drive for ease of viewing so I'm leaving space on each drive in order to easily find stuff later on. One drive will be Music (and other stuff that doesn't have to do with Plex), one for just Cartoon TV shows, another for my live TV shows, another for half of my movies, etc.

Also, in case one drive goes bad, I don't lose everything at once. I will keep a backup copy of my important stuff on an external hard drive, but for movies I own, I might have to just re-rip the discs later on if I lose them.

I was considering a RAID5, but then I read how if a drive does fail it may take a super long time to rebuild the failed drive and in the process might harm another disk. It might just be fearmongering but I figure it's easier to just make a duplicate copy of stuff I know I need backups of.

It sounds like you have never run Plex before?
    Plex operates with user created Libraries of several types: Movies, TV Shows, Music, Photos, and Other Videos.

Each library is filled out by adding one or more directories that contain the media. You can have as many directories as you want make up a Library and you can add or remove directories at any time within the Plex application. These directories can be located on one or more disks.

To make the directories available to Plex running in a docker, you have to set up Volumes or Bind Mounts within the docker configuration. Here too you can have as many or few as you want and you can add or remove them at any time.

No I haven't used Plex before nor OMV until about a week ago.

I went ahead and deployed the container. Now I see the menu options to add the folders to my libraries so that is making more sense now.

But I'm still confused on how to add another drive later on since I'm doing all of this Volume Mapping now and binding folders before I "run container". To me it seems like "run container" seems final. Would I have to do volume mapping and bind and stuff again for that new folder if I want to add it?

Thank you all for all of your help

edit: Now plex is telling me that I don't have access to the server. When I try to open a library it says "No soup for you!" What did I mess up now?

So I can't have Plex show one menu option that includes everything in two or more folders?

And if I want to add a folder later (like if I get an additional hard drive for Movies3) can I add that later on through portainer? Or another way?

Thank you for all the help

The only things that will "pop up" there are images that were installed in the past - a history.

Okay, go to the images tab and start from there.

So that step was skipped I guess. It got the image downloaded so now I'm trying the steps again. Thanks for the help

If my folders are slightly different, how would I set up the volumes? I have the following folders on different hard drives:
    TV-Cartoons
    TV-Live
    Movies1
    Movies2

so when I label the container, would I put /tv for both of my TV containers and /movie for both of my Movie containers? Would that show up in Plex as two different folders after selecting TV or Movies from the menu?

Also, am I able to go back and add volumes after the initial setup?

Thank you

You should only need to start typing the word plex and there should be a drop down with linuxserver/plex:latest listed. Click on it and the field will fill.

The only thing that ever pops up when typing anything is "portainer/portainer:latest". Nothing else comes up. I typed each letter one at a time in the box to see if anything else would come up and nothing did.