Beiträge von johnnymcc

I appreciate the help from both of you but I've never used Docker before and I decided not to learn it now. I went back to Ubuntu Server and got MariaDB and PHPMyAdmin working without Docker. OMV is still a very impressive distro and great for miniDLNA and SMB and probably great for lots of other services for people who are familiar with Docker.

For couple of years I tried to install "phpmyadmin" with no success. Composer file "Add from Example" does not work no matter what I do so is the https....... provided sample. Can anyone provide sample config file that actually works?. In the meantime I use other MariaDB managers.

So did you install MariaDB first separately or does the phpmyadmin docker package install it automatically? I'm on my way to getting docker set up but I'm not sure how many docker containers I need to install.

I have a new install of OMV 7.0.2 (amd64 on 4GB RAM). So far I have SMB and miniDLNA working fine, but I also want MariaDB or MySQL and PHPMyAdmin. I'm having a hard time finding a step-by-step of getting these installed. I have never used docker before. I pretty sure I got docker enabled correctly via the omv-extras setup. Where can I find out what to do next?

I tried the mariadb docker image and followed a step by step I found in the forum. The instructions were for a bigger job than just setting up the mariadb container, but I did just that part. It didn't work and I went back to the plugin. I tried setting a different data directory . I copied the files to the new directory with "cp -rp" and added the "datadir = " but it failed. I'm going to leave the datadir at the default and live with it for now. But, I hope that if the plugin is removed in 5.0 that docker gets substantially easier to set up. Also, in the additional option box for the plugin, does datadir have to be preceded with "--"?

(Edited 12/15)
    I have the mysql plugin (which is really mariadb too) installed with the default data location and I loaded my data from the CLI. I may have been able to do this from the mysql web page but I didn't want to learn how at this time. Anyway, my only problem now is nginx. I put a question in another thread for that. It's not a problem as such, but I'd still like to move my data to a sharedfolder. If I have created "/sharedfolders/mysql", exactly what would I put in the options box? I tried "datadir = /sharedfolders/mysql" and it didn't work. I probably should have gotten a snapshot, but if what I entered was correct, I'm not going to try it again.

I also want to host a web app I wrote in PHP on OMV. My apps been down for a week now and I need it back. I just transferred everything I had on a NAS to a new OMV install. I used a machine that used to host my web app to run OMV hoping to combine my LAMP server and my NAS functions into one machine. Now that some are recommending docker I'm going to try the docker container of mariadb if there isn't one for mysql. Now I need to figure out how to use the existing web server OMV or install one to run in addition. I also need PHP.

What is the best way to do that on 4.1.22? Is it still the nginx plugin? Won't that conflict with the one already running to serve omvadmin? Would docker be better? The answer to the first question should also answer the last three I guess.

(Edited 12/15)
    I've loaded the nginx plugin. At this point, the question is now what do I do? When I used apache all I did was put my PHP code in the right directory and it just worked. Don't bother with the question about docker. It seems to have a learning curve that I don't have time for. I'm going to watch the video shown above. Any additional help on how "servers" and "pools" translate to directories would be appreciated though.

Thanks! I prefer to use plug-ins on this system, especially since docker, which I'm not familiar with, is the other option. So, I'll try the datadir parameter set to a directory on my data drive. Leaving it on the system drive would be a great way to use some of the extra space, but I prefer to have it on the data drive. MySQL makes stuff in the data directory on install, so it will be interesting to see if does things in the right order.

I just today installed the plugin (before I saw this thread). It's 4.1.1 of the plugin. I don't know what version of MySQL it installed. I should have, somewhere along the way, been given a chance to set the data location but it didn't and I couldn't find any way to do that. I ssh'ed into root and looked at the config files and found that the data directory is /var/lib/mysql. Normally not a bad place for a server install, but for OMV, I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want database data on the system drive.

I went ahead and set omvadmin and root passwords anyway. So something works but I don't want the data there. After seeing this thread, now I'm questioning the whole thing. I've been an Ubuntu user for years and just installed OMV this week to replace a Synology NAS. But, I am not familiar with docker, even though my Ubuntu 18.04 machines might be using them.

Can you give me some direction on what to search for to find how to get MySQL on OMV?

Thanks

I know that lot of people use a USB stick as the system drive, but I just don't like the idea. Using an SSD is fine for me. When I went to buy it, the only smaller one I could get was a 128G but I didn't like the make. The 256G was about US $30. Not too bad. I'm sure I could have mail ordered a smaller one but I was in a hurry. The larger new drive instance is much more likely than the smaller drive one, so if the same MBR will work on a larger drive, I guess it's not absolutely necessary to have a larger partition.

The procedure for the MBR is above in this thread. Very useful thread. And I can brush up on my German.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. I'm new to OMV. I'm setting up OMV for the first time. I'm using v 4.1.22. My system disk is a 256G SSD. The system is live and working great so far. Before I dismantle the NAS I'm replacing, I need to make sure I can restore the system to a brand new drive (maybe a different size) if I have to. Data backup is not an issue.

I see ryecoaaron's procedure to restore from fsarchiver backup made with OMV's backup. I'm trying to understand what other things I'd have to do. So far I think I'd have to partition the drive first and do a grub-install last before rebooting. Is this correct? Is there anything else?

So far I think OMV is great. I will donate when I get to the point where I can dismantle my old NAS.