Posts by auanasgheps

Ciao, non ci sono guide in italiano per questo.
    Dovrai imparare a usare Docker e i container per installare le principali applicazioni.

Puoi fare riferimento a questo canale Youtube.

Per gestire i file di sistema dal tuo PC Windows puoi usare WinSCP.

Un'altra prova che ho fatto, da qui la mia domanda principale, è stata quella di spegnere il nas, scollegare fisicamente un'hard disk del raid per simularne la rottura e riaccenderlo per vedere che cosa accadeva, a questo punto però non "vedo" più il raid 5 nel menù gestione raid e di conseguenza non posso "selezionarlo" per farci le dovute procedure di ricostruzione con un'altro disco, mi dice che il disco che ho scollegato è mancante ma non potendo fare operazioni sul raid non riesco ad andare avanti nella ricostruzione, mentre le cartelle condivise su samba da altri pc le vedo comunque ma non sono più accessibili.

Ciao Marcello, devi collegare un altro disco per poter fare operazioni o simulare la ricostruzione.

Il RAID non può essere sistemato con un disco mancante.

Ti consiglio di documentarti su SnapRAID, è una alternativa al RAID classico che permette più flessibilità e meno vincoli. È disponibile un plugin per OMV.

Regarding RAID/redundancy/backup, I have a question: My idea was to set up snapRAID for redundancy and back up my data to an external hard drive, plus keep the most important data on my Google Drive. With 2 hard drives snapRAID is not an option, so I would just mirror the drive and once I get a third hard drive delete one and set up snapRAID. What are your suggestions on this? Would you set up mirroring (which is basically the same as RAID 1, am I right?) in OMV or in BIOS? Are there any differences there?

Also, what is the common practice for occasionally backing up data to an external hard drive in OMV? Can this be done semi-automatically, or do I have to manually plug in a hard drive and perform the backup every now and then?

If you want to use classic RAID don't use hardware RAID, but enable it in OMV GUI.

I would still recommend snapRAID for added flexibility. With RAID you won't be able to add a third drive without reformatting, with snapRAID yes, by rebuilding the parity.

Regarding backup to an external drive, there a perfect plugin called openmediavault-usbbackup.

When configured just connect the external drive, he'll do the job and eject it for you when completed.

You'd better do it this way (manually plugging/unplugging the drive) because is more secure to store the external drive away from the NAS, even if it's the same home.

100% agree with you!

Install fatrace and use this command

nohup fatrace -t -o /path/to/a/log.log &

Specify a log location on the system drive which is not supposed to sleep and run the command.

It will run in the background; let it run for some hours without using the server.

Then kill the process and open the file.

Fatrace will record every access including system drive. Filter HDDs entries that start with /srv/dev-disk-by-label: you will see what files have been accessed and you'll guess which service accessed them.

And how can I track down that service?

It can be challenging and you'll need third party tools.

How many disks do you have and where OMV is installed? What apps/docker/plugins have you installed?

Note this is out of scope of the thread/guide.

Hi, Sorry to ask a dumb question but do SSD's need to be spun down?

No, they don't and simply don't have such feature, so don't worry about them.

auanasgheps

Hi,

I've followed your guide, but none happened unfortunately. Can you pls help solve this annoying issue?

System: rock 64 Transformer, OMV5.5

I've followed your guide step by step. However, the log doesn't seem to be created, so I can't even tell what's causing all this

Can you show the hd-idle configuration?

Also run this command and show the output: service hd-idle status

Hello!

When I browse to System Information > Performance Statistics > Disk I/O, the stats don't tell the range. All other graphs tell Hour, Day, Week Month or Year, but these don't.

OMV: 5.5.22-1

Diskstats-plugin: 5.0.6-1

Tried with different browsers and cleared the cach.e

Thanks for your answer.

I still have to think about how to set up a proper redundancy for data safety. SnapRAID sounds really interesting. However it still occupies a full hard drive. As most of my data is not backup-worthy I feel like this might still exceed my needs. I was thinking about occasionally copying the important files (private photos & documents) to an external hard drive, which could then be unmounted (or powered off via a smart plug). This would reduce power consumption and make it save against a theoretical total system failure, am I right?

This is what you always think at the beginning, but you can't predict hardware failures, you can only prevent them.

An external hard drive is a good backup solution, this is what I use to make my first backup and manually connect it once a week.

Onboard and dedicated Intel CPU use virtually the same power when idle, which is most of the time of a home server. The difference would be seen under heavy load.

I don't like the lack of expandability as well, but Intel is bad and changes CPU socket every generation or so, so when you will want to upgrade you'll have to change the motherboard anyway.

I would still buy a separate CPU and motherboard, because you have more freedom on the features you need.

RAID might not be necessary, but redundancy is!!!

The build makes sense. Cost effective yet powerful (x86-64) if you want to run some stuff.

I would not buy a passive cooler, I recommend the one I used in my build, it's pretty effective and silent.

Small PSU don't make sense if you want to use many drives, which this case can have. Check how many SATA ports has the BeQuiet.

ECC is very expensive and is not worth for a home user IMHO.

If you'd like to use SnapRAID instead of standard RAID, you can take advantage of two technologies which mitigate the lack of ECC: periodic check of existing parity data and re-hash of the data during parity calculations. Additionally don't forget to make backups and keep them offline.

ECC is unofficially supported by AMD systems. I really like AMD CPUs but based on motherboard/CPU availability you'd might be better stick with Intel and no ECC.

but isn't the CPU kind of an overkill for that purpose?

I wanted a decent CPU for a fast system.

Moreover I use Plex transcoding (sometimes) and Handbrake to encode movies. These tasks are heavy on resources and also use Intel's GPU.

What is the reason that you split your boot drive (USB) and the docker & downloads (NVMe SSD)?

Just because when you install OMV it needs to format the whole drive.

I wanted something clean and separate apps from OS, but you could use a SSD and make two partitions after install.

Is the Debian buster-backports version of hd-idle so old it isn't useful?

Yes, because the official Hd-idle has been abandoned and left with many bugs. There is a re-implementation in Go of hd-idle which is great and updated, but can only be added with another repo.

Appreciate the new guide, well done!

Nevertheless there seems an additional safeguard required if hd-idle had been installed manually before.

I was in the same situation (the repo thing is pretty new) and I simply re-installed the package. The config file should not be deleted, but make a copy to be safe.