Beiträge von auanasgheps

If the scripts are that different, it should be possible for the plugin to config things for either script. We could have a checkbox to select which script you want.

Honestly, with all due respect to the creator(s) of the original script, I believe there's no reason in keeping that one. Mine has all the features and beyond.
    If the user does not care about advanced features, they can be ignored.

Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Before this goes to github (where it will disappear for most forum users), what are you proposing? As noted earlier, the plugin already allows the customization of variables where, afterward (and saved), a Diff script is generated. With your version of a generated Diff, where the plugin is concerned, what would be different?

Ideally we would expose all of my script features in the Plugin GUI. It has many more features compared to the existing script.

I'm not asking you to make the changes to the plugin. I just need to know how the plugin should interact with the script. I don't use snapraid or the script. So, it would take a lot of effort on my part to figure it out. Just not something I have time to do. But if you could tell me what the form would look like and what buttons you would want to perform actions, I could code that in short order. This is how the diff script stuff was added.

And if you make changes to the script that the plugin needs to change for, I would need you to let me know. Or maybe once the script was implemented in the plugin, it would be easier for you to tell what needed to change.

Allright let's do this. I'll open a discussion/issue on GitHub so we can discuss it there.

The plugin is fine. By automation I was referring to the diff script. I'm not sure there's any enhancement that would make me trust it. If there are changes to the array, I want to know what they are before syncing.

I would recommend taking a look at borg as a proper backup solution. It is super, super reliable. It has versioning, encryption, compression, deduplication.

It takes care of my off-site backups to a NAS at my parent's house. Whatever happens on my local SnapRAID array I have a weekly backup, along with a history/versioning of the last 3 months.

It virtually runs on anything: for this I'm using a 10 years old Synology NAS and a shucked drive I paid very little for.

The cost is small, you can automate it using borgmatic and then you'll sleep well!

Just that no one wants to help integrate that with plugin.

I am the maintainer of the snapraid-aio-script and I am humbled by the amount of people who use and recommend it.

I would love my script to be bundled in the plugin, because everyone would benefit from it, but I don't know how to accomplish this. I am not really a coder and learned shell for this specific project and for fun.

The project has also evolved a lot from a "simple diff script". If we would integrate it in OMV, we would have to expose every single option via the GUI, for example Docker containers to be paused/stopped, custom commands before/end, notification services and so on.

Also, don't forget new features. They don't come often, but I try.

This is beyond my abilities.

I already do my best to make this script as plug and play as possible for OMV users, since I'm a passionate OMV user as well: auto install dependencies, reuse mailx config from OMV, documentation for OMV users.

I'm not sure there's any enhancement that would make me trust it. If there are changes to the array, I want to know what they are before syncing.

Have you tried my script? Has many logics to prevent unwanted syncs.

I'm seeing the same issue on a Windows 11 client.

My NVMe SSD is EXT4, and I configured new HDD disks with BTRFS.

Samba is crashing when trying to copy from SSD to HDD shares.

OMV6. Oh dear.

I'll try the workaround mentioned above.

EDIT: The workaround works, but please note that this configuration will be overriden by OMV, either by an update or next time you apply configuration changes. /etc/samba/smb.conf is one of the files that OMV controls and we are not supposed to make manual changes.

I know how to add custom SaltStack states, in fact I have a few, but I do not know to properly override a OMV config. Waiting for mods to comment.

Thats what my array is called as well :) First: Thank you for the script! It's really awesome.

I've tried to use the dev branch but it still wont work:

Code
    ## Preprocessing
    SnapRAID is not running, proceeding.
    SnapRAID configuration file not found. The script cannot be run! Please check your settings, because the specified file /etc/snapraid.conf does not exist.

What I see is that the folder should be /etc/snapraid/... and not just /etc?

Thank you for the kind words :)

If you open the script config file, you will find this new section:

Bash
    # SnapRAID configuration file location. The default path works on most
    # installations, including OMV6.
    # If you're using OMV7, you must manually specify your config file, which is
    # located in /etc/snapraid/
    # SNAPRAID_CONF="/etc/snapraid/snapraid.conf"
    SNAPRAID_CONF="/etc/snapraid.conf"

We are working on a solution that will automatically pick the SnapRAID config file if there's only one, but it's not ready yet. In the meantime, you have to make this configuration.

Hi,
    I just wanted to update you on the scenario of OMV7 + AIO SnapRAID script, because I finally had the chance to look at it.

I don't know if this was already present before our discussion, but in /etc/snapraid there's a symlink called snapraid.conf.

In case there's only one array, which I believe fits most of the users, the symlink works perfectly and there's no need to set the specific configuration name.

I am updating the default config file with this path, adding a comment that points to the the previous one, which is also the default SnapRAID path.

I've also implemented a check for the SnapRAID configuration itself. Until now only the AIO script configuration was checked; if SnapRAID's config file would be missing, the script would abruptly terminate like in this discussion. Hopefully this will help!

auanasgheps this change you accepted doesn't make any sense. It is adding the config path argument but the variable is never populated. With the diff script in the plugin, it is populated by a config file passed as argument to the script call because multiple snapraid arrays are supported in the v7 plugin (and v6.2.1). Each array has its own config file.

I'll add instructions how to configure it. Additionally, if here's only one array we should be fine I guess.

niemer run cat /proc/meminfo and see how much you have left.

No, just delete the snapraid files - parity and content. You can find them in the root of each Snapraid drive, or at least one of those files.

Then start a new sync, it will obviously take some time, but it's legit.

You might want to consider my script linked in the signature, it makes SnapRAID management a lot easier.

Thanks for confirming Soma !

Since I have only one slot, I'll do everything "offline" using a live distro: by copying the image on a HDD and then restoring it to the destination NVMe.

The patient must be sleeping during the procedure so I don't mess anything up :)

My hope is I do not have to change ANYTHING after the restore!

Hey, the new drive does not run OMV.

I am not replacing the system drive! OMV is happily running on a thumbdrive.

This NVMe drive is my apps/docker disk, but is heavily referenced in OMV. That's why I need to preserve UUID/paths

I just wanted to say thanks for the great work. ALWAYS!

In the past I've expressed my gratitude by donating to both votdev and ryecoaaron.

One thing I'd love to be in a future release is the USB Backup plugin... with Borg. I'm using the current one that makes a simple plain copy on an external drive, and that's okay. Would be great to empower the robustness of Borg, which is already available as a plugin. Can we make both of them talk?

Or maybe a "generic" USB plugin that runs any shell command when a specific USB device is plugged, and umounts it when the command is done, so anyone can use their preferred backup solution.