Beiträge von kattivius

Greetings,

I had my OMV 5 running smoothly for quite a while. on a RP4 4GB.
    The pi is on a DeskPi case.

3 HDD:

1 SSD internally
    2 external USB HDD (USB3)

Suddenly other devices in my LAN that use OMV shared folder, give me errors.
    - I check the OMV DISKS section and I see nothing but SDCARD

- I check fdisk -l and nothing but sdcard comes out

- checked lsub and I do have the USB present (to eliminate the option that USB are not detected anymore)

Bus 003 Device 003: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics HL-340 USB-Serial adapter

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

What did I try?

I tried to take the external disks out of usb hub and attache them directly to the box usb -> no joy
    I tested if the HDD works by mounting them on my linux laptop -> joy (they work fine)

Conclusion:

No idea what to do to have my disks working again.
    Any help is welcome

System:

Raspberry pi 4b 4GB

5.10.60-v7l+

armv7l

fdisk -l:

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type

/dev/mmcblk0p1 8192 532479 524288 256M c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

/dev/mmcblk0p2 532480 31116287 30583808 14.6G 83 Linux

Thank you

Yes, that is possible.

The files are not compressed and not encrypted. They are "just" de-duplicated on file level using symlinks.

I must have overlooked that.
    Its a decent solution if it keeps the folder structure too.

I will look at it again than.
    But I hope that urbackup will implement a easy way to reinstall the client and connect to the server and be recognized as the owner of the previews backup.

Thank you

Your backup is on your data disk. You can access it without UrBackup or OMV. Just connect the drive to a computer that can read the filesystem and you have access.

If you have OMV running, you can create a shared folder pointing at the backup and add the shared folder to smb. Then you can access your data even through smb. Same with nfs.

Or you use ssh to connect.

You suggesting to share the folder where I backup so to access it manually and not via urbackup?

(as i cannot remember that), are the files not compressed or else? I can just map the share and copy what I need?

Than delete everything and start a new backup strategy?

This is the old post here in OMV:

URBACKUP restore to a new installation/client

true, but my issue is not when all is up and running and urbackup is configured.

The issue comes if I now decided to format my laptop.. (or my SSD dies and I buy a new one) and reinstall linux and urbackup and at this point I want to connect to my old file backup.

Thats when things go wrong

I did, quite a while ago I was very busy with it.
    I found it a very good and powerful too.

Here is my issue and why I dropped it for now:

Once the system is setup for backup. And I even do a snapshot of the system. All is in order and safe for rescue.

Here comes the issue: If a rescue is needed, is not just an installation and restore the backup using some sort of password ..

The urbackup requires a more elaborate configuration (I think some code that gave at the beginning and mostly I neglected to save somewhere. And even that, years later I probably forgot where I have the codes) to let it understand I am the same user that wants to restore the system or just the files I want.

Moreover, since my OMV is on a enclosure with a raspberry pi 4b and the ssd is mounted inside, I cant just take the disk and use the image as a virtual disk ...

At the end I found it too complicated and moved on to other alternatives.
    Never found a very nice backup system as urbackup... but I could get my data back much easier.

When I post about it, no one really had a complete live scenario to restore the backup and I figure theory if great but practice is what it counts after all.

Surely I am wrong somewhere.

I did try to reinstall urbackup on a new system, and I failed to establish connection to my previews backup.

Sorry for long answer. I felt I needed to expand my response.

I will look at it and I hope they made it easier for users to reconnect a backup on a new system

Nice!

unfortunately in my case I am looking for backing up my laptop. I dont have space for a C&D drive.

But I like your configurations.

I had a break about this. I will soon pick it up again. I though I did the right thing.. but something does not got the way it should. I will review it.
    Ps,

how about your synchthing tests?
    Do you also agree that syncthing cant do incremental and differential backup?
    I am puzzled by the versioning in syncthing.. I need to read more about it if that can act as sort of differential ...

https://docs.syncthing.net/users/versioning.html

Its interesting... Staggered File Versioning might even do the trick.

But I think that will make a full copy and all the daily updates are not incremental... not sure...
    Its getting interesting.

I'm gonna have to look at grsync again to make sure, but the rsync share should not have to be mounted on the client. Like I said, I don't really use rsync for clients/server, and use it to back up two servers... and they definitely do not have remote mounts on them.

Well... al this time I tried out ... I got to the conclusion that grsync is not what I need.

For first: after manually mounting the share, I configured grsync to save the files in /mnt/mounted_share

I run a test and had no errors. so I started the backup... it was super fast... too fast!

I check.. yes, my all /home folder was backed up in the /mnt/mounted_share BUT it was only local and I run out of SSD space!!!!!

I though a mounted share would point to the network share... that did not happen!

looks like I dont know anymore what linux does when mounting a share!!

I have enough for today.. will try more in the future... this is not working as I want yet.

:(

You kind of got me curious, so I just set it up my laptop and server (I tested it a long time ago, but when I rebuild my servers next month I might actually go with syncthing for remote backups). It's actually quite easy. Just going through the options, it does have versioning. It looks like you can set up versioning in the client, but I've not messed with it yet (I've got it set to none at the moment)...

It's really not difficult to set up, the one thing that got me.. since the client is also configured via a webUI... and it looks very similar to the Server side webUI, I caught myself doing things on the client side when I thought I was on the server side (and vice versa). Just resulted in unnecessary confusion

My suggestion.. the server and client each have a couple themes for their web interface... Set your server to a "Dark" or "Light" theme, then set the client to the opposite.

Hi KM0201,

I use syncthing a lot. I know how to configure it.

What I dont think it does is incremental backup; copying only the modified/changed/deleted files...
    If I am not wrong, versioning means will keep a number of version of the same backup for defined time. (correct me if I am wrong).

That is of course, a solution.. provided we have enough space on disk.

In all case, is a very valuable solution.

You can also choose who sends, who receive or if should be both ways. Is a very dynamic solution, I agree.

I still like to give a go to rsync.

But I do see coming up issues: (with rsync)

the remote folder has to be mounted at all time. Means that if the mount fails, no backup take place.

Recently I had issues to permanently mount the share in fstab (cant figure out why just yet).

Syncthing actually works almost in any scenario; with/out VPN or local LAN and is encrypted transfer at all time. With latest version you can even choose to have a password for the transferred files...

More and more I write about it and I also think is probably a better solution...

Its that I wanted to try the built in rsync server in OMV5...

To be seen... ;)

Also for what it's worth.. it might be easier to set up a syncthing server in docker, install a syncthing client on your OS, and then set it up that way. It would almost certainly be easier to automate.

that is actually my next step if rsync is getting too messy to set it up.

the only thing is that I like rsync for the way it handles the backup and the daily/weekly/monthly backup and the simple way to restore a single file (if I not confusing with timeshift).

I will give a shot with rsync and see...

Thanks anyway.

ok. thanks

Thanks for this guide. I am now busy setting it up as well.
    I do have extra questions:

- can I use a sharefolder that actually uses a user with password (not public)?

- in Hosts allow you mentioned to put the client ip address. if that is not static, can I leave the blank? The description mention to leave it blank for default settings. I search the OMV doc and I cant find a description of what are the default settings. or can I use /24 to set a subnet?

- when setting the shared folder path in client, I assume is the absolute path, correct?

Thanks

I'm sure there is a way, just not sure what it is....

As for avoiding the problem in the future... use the webUI to manage folders and not the command line or SMB unless you are 100% sure what you are doing.. would be the lesson I would think

I kind of have an idea how to manage folders in linux. But surely not so much when it involved OMV.
    I also think there must be a possibility to solve that issue.

Beside all the test I made to solve the issue that lead me to confusion, originally I simply moved a subfolder to a an other folder (therefore a subfolder of an other folder). And when trying to delete and restart my folders structure, I was not able to.
    That does not relate (at first) to my CLI clean up!

I will try to open a new post with a more simple request that involved only what to do when moving foldered using GUI and trying to delete them afterwords.

First I will reproduce the issue to make sure I have a good case to post.

After testing, I will format and restart.

Thanks anyway for trying to help.

Regards,

do I have to reformat the drive?

It is an option as I am at the beginning. But I would love to know if there is a way to fix the issue in case this situation would reproduce again later in time when the NAS is fully oprational.

Thanks

if that is the case, did not work:

The configuration object 'conf.system.sharedfolder' is not unique. An object with the property 'name' and value 'user_name' already exists.

in this case, it complains of the Name column using same name as the one I cannot delete.

So I changed the Name to user_name1 for the name column. But I recreated the share name user_name as the original one: /public/user_name

Successfully created and applied.

Than deleted the public shared folder with its subfolders and contents. Successfully deleted.

But the one I need to delete is still not possible to be deleted. Delete button is gray out.

I must admit that at this point, I am getting confused.. I did many trys and tests...

Anyway to be able to wipe out all shared folders and starts from beginning?

It is a new installation