Beiträge von shadowzero

Ok I read through the manual and NAT is enabled by default so that wouldn't be the issue. I also noticed that the firewall is also enabled by default. I'm not sure but I think it may be blocking the traffic even though you have the port forwarded. I don't think the problem lies with OpenVPN on OMV though. I recreated your scenario by using a different ddns name and I changed my port to 1195 for testing. I put the new ovpn file on my phone and it worked. I use pfSense as my firewall/router. I have to add a static route for the vpn traffic to reach openvpn on omv. I'm not sure if you did that on your old router but you may need to on this one. Do you know what error you're seeing from your phone? Is it failing on host lookup or the TLS handshake?

Another thing I would suggest is try using the built-in OpenVPN server on your router. This would eliminate the need to setup static routes, and port forwarding since it would be handled by the router itself. Just a thought. You can also set it up just to verify / test VPN.

Yeah online checkers typically won't scan UDP ports. I believe your issue maybe you need to add the static route for your vpn traffic or enable NAT on. I'm looking through the manual now to check.

Hi GTvert90,

I have a few questions to ask to help troubleshoot your issue.

Upgraded routers and changed ddns name and now I'm having issues.

When you say "upgrade" do you mean the same device or you replaced it with a new router?
    Is ddns being updated with the new hostname?
    Do you happen to have the docker plugin installed?
    Are you using the OMV firewall?

I tried this out on a fresh install on my Rpi B+ with Stoneburner 2.1.19. Once I set my changes and enabled the plugin, it took about +/- 30 minutes for it to complete the initial setup. After that I was able to setup a user certificate.

What I recommend is to try turning off any of the other services you may have running. The CPU usage ranged from 50 to 75% on my Rpi B+ while it was creating the CA and Server certificates. Try applying your settings again and see if it completes. If it does, then go back on turn the other services back on. As an alternative suggestion I would try reinstalling openvpn and the omv-extras package. You can run apt-get purge openvpn openmediavault-openvpn and try to install both again like you did initially. Let me know how it turns out.

Hello Cosmo,

I did some research for you and it appears you can use the TowerRAID TR8M-B along with the Silicon Image Sil 3531 1x port PCIe external eSATA controller that came with it. The kernel 3.2.0-4-686-pae does include the sata_sil24.ko driver needed. I would like to note that this model only supports up to SATA II (3 Gbps) 2TB drives and a maximum capacity of 16TB. Here is the specs and other information on that model: http://www.sansdigital.com/towerraid/tr8mb.html The WD 3TB Red drives you were looking at will not work in this unit since they are SATA III (6 Gbps). I assume this is the drive you are looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Desk…-Disk-Drive/dp/B008JJLW4M

Let's review your questions.

I could plug the new TowerRaid into the x510 and create a new RAID5 volume over those 8 disks, but that would leave the other existing 3 disk RAID5 volume in place. I don't know why I would want to do that.

If you're still interested in using this unit, The 1st thing I would recommend is backing up any data you want to keep from this unit to your ReadyNAS or a USB drive. You can use your PC/MAC/Linux system to store the data as well. I'd recommend a USB drive in this case so you can access the data easily from any other device. You could attach it to your ReadyNAS and create a new share and store the data there as well. I've never used a ReadyNAS system so use whatever you feel comfortable with.
    Next I would destroy the existing RAID array / partitions and make all of the drives JBOD from your WHS system if possible. Add the PCIe card and TowerRAID unit to your HP x510 unit. You should be able to see the JBOD drives under storage -> physical disks in OMV. If you do not see the disks you may want want to flash the BIOS on the Sil 3531 using this package: http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/UpdFlash_v336.zip More information can be found on their support page located here: http://www.siliconimage.com/support/

I could plug the new TowerRaid into the x510 and add the 8 disks (or less) to the existing OMV RAID5 volume growing it in place.

You would need to format the drives as suggested above. I would use these drives as a separate RAID instead of adding them to your existing RAID on the HP x510 in my opinion. There is nothing stopping you from doing that but my concern would be if the internal controller or the PCIe controller dies. It would be either a big headache or loss of all data either way I think. Rebuilding 11 drives of data would take a long time. ;)

I could move all the data off the OMV-x510, delete the existing RAID5 volume, add the new TowerRaid and create a new RAID5 volume from scratch across 11drives(+-).

Again I would use the external unit as a separate RAID but that is my opinion.

At this point I only have the OMVx510 rig up and running for 2 weeks, I'm just getting used to it and not 100% confident in it. It hasn't been battle tested yet.

Definitely take your time poking around and testing settings to make sure they meet your needs. I would suggest trying out some of the plugins like Plex since you use it with your Roku devices ( I use the same setup ) and see if it meets your needs. Copy some data over to test it out. Never just jump into something without trying it 1st. ;) Of course the OMV forums will try to answer your questions the best we can.

Amazon has WD Red 3TB drives for $99, I plan to get a few, load some external chassis and help me move data around.

See my concern above if either the HP x510 or the TowerRAID supports SATA III drives. The TowerRAID definitely does not support SATA III drives.

Should I keep my existing RAID5 volume or start over? I don't have enough experience w/ OMV yet to know which would be easier/safer.

I would suggest playing with OMV 1st and getting to know the interface a little. Once you feel comfortable with it, I would try an install from scratch with a plan on the HDD usage. What do I want to store? Does it need to be backed up? How much space do I need? Do I have enough space to grow? These are things I like to keep in mind when building my OMV NAS.

Any other suggestions; wait for 3.0?, beware of Debian on external eSata?

OMV 3.0 is not going to be released anytime soon. You should be safe enough with the current release. If you have any questions just ask :) As for any other suggestions, I think I covered what I could from your questions. Please feel feel free to add any more questions and let us know how it worked for you.

Thanks!

The Highpoint raid controllers are not supported by Debian by default. (That I could find documentation on) You would have to download the BIOS and build a module from their source code for the the kernel to load the drivers.
    Most LSI controllers are supported by Debian. If your looking for external connections, look for card that end with an "e". LSI cards that end with an "i" are for internal use.

I have found a workaround to this issue. If you have updated the php5-pam package, follow these steps below:

Code
    wget http://omv-extras.org/debian/pool/main/p/php5-pam/php5-pam_1.0.3-2_armhf.deb
    dpkg -i php5-pam_1.0.3-2_armhf.deb

Reboot your RPi then run the following command:

Code
    apt-mark hold php5-pam

This will prevent the pam package from being updated when you check for updates. I have tested this on my RPi B+ and I did not loose the webGUI after running an update. If you are doing a clean install then just do the last step before checking for updates. Be sure to run the commands as root or using sudo.

Just my two cents here but have you looked at the network cables you are using? If you have some old CAT5 I would get rid of it. You should at least use CAT5E or CAT6 for 1GB. Any exposed cable at the RJ45 head can cause problems. Just something to think about even though your devices support 1GB. Also check what speed your OMV system negotiated at.

I just want to ask. when serviio will appears in plugins? Thanks.

Right now I haven't made any plans to turn it into a plugin. It may be something I'll do in the future but not anytime soon. Plus I have another plugin I need to finish. I have been very busy personally so I apologize for the late reply. You can also install Serviio by using the Docker plugin and searching for Serviio. I have tested it on my dev machine and it works as well. There is a little extra setup to do but I haven't had time to write up a guide for it. I'll be glad to answer any other questions you have.

Hi @macintoshme,

I would recommend running OMV from local storage or an iSCSI target instead of USB3 based storage. I only use USB3 storage for backup purposes or snapshots. While you can do what you have mentioned, I think it would be better to use the onboard SATA/SAS or if you have a hardware/software raid controller support. USB3 could fulfill what you are trying to do but keep in mind the more you add to it the slower it may respond via files or applications accessing the data. Just my two cents on it and I could be wrong. I would go with a software raid if 1 to 4 users needs to access videos, etc. Anything above that I would suggest a raid hardware controller. Again these are just my preferences and you can adjust accordingly to meet you needs.

Let me make sure I understand correctly. You have a share that is SMB enabled on OMV. You are copying the VM from your Win PC to the share on OMV. What method are you using to do that? You use VMWare Workstation on OMV via a desktop client such as Gnome or XFCE? What do you mean by "connect to a remote server" ?