Beiträge von mn124700

I'm using OMV 6.0 with Proxmox. OMV tends to crash when I copy to/from a 12TB disk that is divided into 8 and 4 TB partitions. Has anyone had trouble with large or partitioned disks?

It used to work fine under OMV 5.6.

Eric

Thanks for doing the test. I spent some time digging through the OMV log files, but didn't see any obvious smoking gun. (But, to be truthful, I didn't understand half of what was in there). Here are some details about my OMV network settings and the Proxmox OMV VM:

Any suggestions on how to debug this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

I'm running OMV 6.0.latest as a Proxmox VM. I'm finding that OMV crashes when I try to copy large files between two of its CIFS-mounted shares. The copy completes partially before the crash. I've tried having the shares mounted on two different systems, one OSX and one Ubuntu 23, but the problem is the same either way. The SMART status of the disks appears fine. I can copy files to and from individual CIFS shares to/from OSX, but cannot copy between the mounted shares.

I'm not sure how to debug what's going on. Any advice?

Thanks,

Eric

Thanks, that helps. I can now ping 8.8.8.8 (which I couldn't before). The file /etc/resolv.conf still shows no nameservers listed. Also, I cannot do apt update. The update feature in OMV doesn't seem to connect to the server either (i.e., no suggested updates ever appear) Any suggestions?

I'm running OMV 6 on Proxmox. I'm currently unable to access any nameservers. The file /etc/resolv.conf shows no nameservers listed. I cannot add any directly to this file, and the resolvconf service does not appear to be installed. (I can't download it to install because apt can't resolve debian.org)

Has anyone else had problems with nameservers on OMV? How do I add some nameservers?

Thanks,

Eric

Thanks for the help. I ran the following...

apt install qemu-guest-agent
    systemctl start qemu-guest-agent

Rebooted, and I also verified that the GA is running (systemctl status qemu-guest-agent)

However, from the virt-manager gui, the guest won't respond to shutdown messages. I have to "force off".

What am I missing?
    Thanks again,
    Eric

Need a bit of help with OMV installed as a KVM guest. I'm noticing that the VM does not respond to power-off messages, even though acpid and pm-utils appear to be installed and acpid is running.

How do I get the VM to shutdown properly?

Thanks
    Eric

Interesting thread, but I'm wondering why OMV is set up this way. It appears OMV is running on "bare metal" and KVM has been installed into that (Debian) system.

In my own setup, I'm running KVM in Ubuntu18.04 (which I like better than Debian) and then running OMV as a guest VM. For the most part, this seems to work and makes it easy to isolate OMV.

Wondering what people think the pros and cons are of this. Anyone doing it the way I am?

Eric

I'm afraid this is not a bug or an a idea. It is the normal way to add storage to OMV.

My existing disk is EXT4. It was created by a system running Ubuntu 18.04 (with LVM, if that matters). Do I really have to reformat it in OMV? Why should OMV need that?

Just to be clear, the exiting disk correctly appears in the "file systems" pane of OMV, and I have no problem mounting it nor creating SMB shares. All of that works as expected. It's just that one remote user can mount the SMB share and a second remote user can't. This seems so even when all the settings of the two users are identical. And which user can or can't mount seems to depend upon which of the users I create first in OMV. The first-created can mount, the second can't.

As I said, it worked under Xen. Maybe KVM is presenting the USB device to the OMV server differently in some way?

As you suggested, I will look at root:users for permissions. Maybe that will help.

Eric

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, the disk has a lot of data that I can't afford to lose. And there are other disks as well.

I did try various combinations of "privileges". The settings for user1 and user2 are identical. No luck there I'm afraid.

I should have mentioned that OMV is virtualized. I'm using KVM now, but I used to use Xen and things were working fine in that setup. So, I'm wondering if it's an issue of OMV not getting along with KVM. Should I install ACPI or some other package on the OMV VM? (I've noticed that the OMV VM does not respond to power-down messages from the host).

Again, I appreciate all the help. I'm not sure how to debug this.

Eric

I'm having trouble configuring OMV (I've tried both v4 and v5). I have a USB drive attached to the host that I need to serve across the network via CIFS. I have two users (say, User1 and User2) defined in OMV. They each have a group of the same names. BOTH of these users need to be able to mount the drive from the network.

What I'm finding is that the USB drive can be mounted by the first user I created (User1), but not by User2. I've tried endless combinations of settings and permissions in OMV to no avail. Only User1 can access the share.

I tried an experiment wherein I created user2 first and then user1 on a fresh OMV install. That reversed the situation - user1 was unable to mount the share, but user2 could.

If I type "ls -la /sharedfolders/" from the OMV server, I notice that the owner of the volume is "User1". However, world read-write permissions are set.

How do I set things up correctly?
    Thanks,
    Eric

I have a Xen 8.1 VM running OMV 5.0.5 and am having trouble accessing a USB drive. Specifically, the drive is 12 TB and is partitioned (GPT) into two volumes (each EXT4). The disk shows up correctly under "Disks" in OMV, and I am able to mount the volumes under "File Systems". The problems occur when I try to create a shared volume. I've attached a couple of screenshots. (The log files don't show anything of note).

The drive itself seems okay if I mount it on a separate Linux laptop without going through OMV. The folder "Video2i" exists.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks
    Eric