Posts by mbgroen

I'm a Mac user too and really would like to stay using the AFP plugin.
    It allows me to set a nice icon (using the advanced settings) in the finder and only shows just one icon in the finder instead of a blue screen computer icon next to all the separate shares (see screenshots). Somehow Apple managed to change this behavior if you share via SMB on a Mac (SMB shares look the same as when using AFP and no extra computer icon), does somebody know how to mimic this behavior? That would only leave the nice icons to be desired.

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-19 om 01.03.52.pngSchermafbeelding 2020-02-19 om 01.03.10.png

I've got the icon part sorted by adding an extra service section to /usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/avahiservices.d/smb (to make it stick after config updates):

<service>
    <type>_device-info._tcp</type>
    <port>0</port>
    <txt-record>model=Xserve</txt-record>
    </service>

And then modifying the SMB/CIFS service discovery item in the OMV 4 webUI under Network -> Service Discovery to reflect the same name as the AFP name (Home Server in my case).

I disabled "Browsable" under the SMB/CIFS Home Directory settings and added the following to the Advanced Settings text field part (in bold):

min receivefile size = 16384
    write cache size = 524288
    getwd cache = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
    min protocol = SMB2
    vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
    fruit:metadata = stream
    fruit:posix_rename = yes
    fruit:veto_appledouble = no
    fruit:wipe_intentionally_left_blank_rfork = yes
    fruit:delete_empty_adfiles = yes
    disable netbios = yes

I also stopped and disabled nmbd just to be sure, since I'm not sure if disable netbios = yes is accepted:
    sudo systemctl stop nmbd.service
    sudo systemctl disable nmbd.service

Works like I wanted now... I left AFP enabled for my Time Machine share, but that won't be necessary anymore after upgrading to OMV 5 as I understood.

Those Mac mini's are actually real Mac mini's btw ;-) OMV server is a HP Microserver Gen8, love this cheap little server with 4 drive bay's (pus an extra SSD as boot drive), iLO, 16GB memory and Xeon support.... Combined with OMV it's the perfect NAS server!

I'm a Mac user too and really would like to stay using the AFP plugin.
    It allows me to set a nice icon (using the advanced settings) in the finder and only shows just one icon in the finder instead of a blue screen computer icon next to all the separate shares (see screenshots). Somehow Apple managed to change this behavior if you share via SMB on a Mac (SMB shares look the same as when using AFP and no extra computer icon), does somebody know how to mimic this behavior? That would only leave the nice icons to be desired.

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-19 om 01.03.52.pngSchermafbeelding 2020-02-19 om 01.03.10.png

I really hope the Docker plugin will be ported to OMV 5 too, this makes setting up containers a lot more user friendly and gives a more "integrated" NAS feeling than opening a separate tool like Portainer in a new window. People who need the extra options Portainer offers can always install a Portainer container.