Posts by yakelkun

Some directions TO BE CONFIRMED:

WARNING : BACKUP BACKUP and TEST your BACKUP, meaning do some restore to validate and train.

Using virtualization is a great help to have baremetalrestore solution !! I backup the OMV System disk and the HDD containing userdirectory. Both are virtual HDD.

in/etc/fstab :

Remove reference to the missing disk

in /srv

Removing directory reference to the missing disk /dev-disk-by-label-HDD.name

in config.xml :

Paragraphs

Mount begining with <mntent> ........ </mntent> containing HDD name, NOTE the corresponding UUID !!!

Sharefolder begining <sharefolder> ........ </sharefolder>

Unionfilesystem begining <unionfilesystems> ........ </unionfilesystems>

Usermanagement, if you use the HDD to store userdirectory <usermanagement> ....... <usermanagement/>

The first x2 are easy fix, I just remove the prargraphs refering to the missing HDD,

For the unionfs, you have to remove reference to the UUID above, and I'm not sure it'll work.

Usermanagement the user directory to default :

<homedirectory>

<enable>0</enable>

<sharedfolderref></sharedfolderref>

</homedirectory>

Your help and suggestion will be highly appreciated.

To be continued.

To prevent any errors and allow you to go back :

Backup your present config.xml on an USB drive.

Prepare a live booting Linux that allow you to access present OMV boot drive.

Once and only once done edit your config.xml

The reference to a drive are within paragraphs :

Mount begining with <mntent> and ending with </mntent>

Sharefolder begining <sharefolder> and ending with </sharefolder>

Unionfilesystem begining <unionfilesystems> and ending with </unionfilesystems>

Also look for Users home directory if you set it.

Don't forget to look at /etc/fstab also for reference to the missing drive.

Use search function of your editor to be sure and remove entire paragraphs containing reference to the missing drive.

Dear all,

I'm making some tryout before migrating my old Linux server to OMV 5 + UnionFS.

Config : Proxmox VM OMV5 with latest build, UnionFS plugin. System is cold backuped thanks to Proxmox everyday within 5minutes. One UnionFS named 75015001500 built with x3 old test HDD 750GB and 2x 1500GB (total 3750GB). The config works well and access within SAMBA works in minutes.

Now comes the test: I removed one HDD, the 750Go one physically and detach the reference from the OMV VM.

Of course OMV won't work anymore.

My goal is to make OMV works again without the 750go hdd, as my use case is that the 750GB is totally dead.

What is to be done to recover the unionfs share with only the data stored on the 2x remaining 1500GB drives please ?

To train before a faillure occurs, I decided to create an unionfs and simulate a defective drive.

I fresh installed OMV5

Platform : PC, OS Proxmox latest version. i-4670k

Guest OS : OMV5 updated to latest packages.

RAM : 4GB 2xCPU core

HDD : two 2GB VirtuIO hdd, with one EXT4 partition each, 1 physical 1500GB HDD exclusively alocated to the VM.

I installed :

flashmemory to avoid access (I removed swap partition)

resetpermissions

unionfs

I created partitions and mounted the x2 hdd

Using unionfs I manage to create a 2*2GB unionfs

I added rights to everybody (Access Rightmanagement/Shared Folders)

Then I tried to create the SMB share using the resulting unionfs and here comes the drama :

I selected the x2

"Failed to create the directory '/srv/6023eb2a-130a-44d7-8a4b-d2f8a21a0811/test2hdd/':"

Details :

Code
    Erreur #0:
    OMV\Exception: Failed to create the directory '/srv/6023eb2a-130a-44d7-8a4b-d2f8a21a0811/test2hdd/': in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/sharemgmt.inc:325
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\ShareMgmt->set(Array, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('set', Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('ShareMgmt', 'set', Array, Array, 1)
    #4 {main}

The SMB share is created, visible in Windows File explorer... but impossible to browse it...

Any idea please as I googled and only found request without answers.

Edit: resetting permission on Shared Rights on filesystem before creating the SMB share avoid the error message, but it's still not browsable eventhough I create the smb share with "Public Autorized"

Real SATA and Real Ethernet Gigabit, makes a HUGE difference in these applications ! (not a 3/4xGBEth as RPI4 )

This HC2 seems very nice, too bad RPi doesn't takes it's ideas for their achitecture.

I love the pipe installation !!

HC2 is pricey in Europe... 70€... twice a RPi4, and why such a heatsink, is it intended to cover a 3.5 HDD ? <- Good idea if so to build an all in one solution !!

ODROID_HC2_01.png

I plan to do a case for one of my Pi4 to add a 2.5" drive with USD/Sata cable

Thanks for LFS informations, I think it's a way I'm going to investigate thanks to you.

Backup of my big files is done using a ring of friends sharing the very same ressources.

For hot data, I mainly use Online cloud resources. I'm not a fan of their data access policy (N$A...) but it's the less worth choice.

I'm on the same mindset about silencing server.

I used to use a pair of case with 1meter sata cable but these case are noisy, essentially due to the metal they are made of. Vibrations and echos.

Using wood (I know mdf isn't wood), helps a lot if you use speakers damping matérial to isolates panel whithin eachothers.

Choosing x2 compartments case is also a plus as you can manage cooling much more efficientcy.

My HDD enclosure is managed by x3 super silent 120mm fans associated to a controler with x3 t° sensors.

My CPU enclosure uses a 220mm fan and x2 super silent 120mm fans associated with an El MAcho almost silent cpu cooler, Those are oversized compared to the target CPU to allow quiet low speed.

I just found back an old but efficient modular 1000w PSU that can run also silent when not too much current is drained.

For HDD that are the biggest source of vibration I use :

HTB1ZHvQbo_rK1Rjy0Fcq6zEvVXad.jpg

It helps a lot !!

My 3D printed DIY HDD supports are equiped with x2 O-ring on each attaching woodscrews to avoid any residual vibration to transmit to the panel.

RPi4 are great, but what a shame they don't include native USB boot as they do on RPI3+

What is HC2s please ?

I like the 19" wood furniture. But I think it'll cost more than a ready made metal one...

I check it's about 100~150€, but far less aesthetic, and with no accessories !!!

I DIY mine with spare parts to cut cost... As I used silencing ribbon between panels, and double decoupling system for HDD, it's really silencious.

I'm awaiting for my Xeon E5-2378 V3+32GB+New motherboard (with NVME), hoping it'll go thru customs, if possible without custom invoice, in these Covid days. 290€ s&h included for such a 12core/24thread config is a real deal, as I'm virtualizing all my system in Proxmox.

H3d7e7b55a71346b0a31bad3066804a21k.jpg

H82ab541b06264b049ae25f535ef7e60bI.jpg

About LFS, it's nice but what happens when a HDD fails please ?

You loose everything in the share (RAID0 like faillure)

You only loose the content of the defective HDD +2 files spread accross disks N-1 / N / N+1, the rest of it stays available ?

I hope it's the second solution.

--> The difficulty is when, a faillure will occurs (and it will), to find what are the missing files... as I don't backup such a large amount of files.

Just curious. Why do you want to do it like this?

One filesystem split up between HDDs. It seems you could use one shared folder per HDD instead?

Because I got a huge amount of disk (I DIY a 28 HDD enclosure) storing big files (+50~100BG each), and I'm use to have one share for all these files (I'm under ClearOS, a Centos like)

But I'm open to suggestions :thumbup:

Hello,

I'd like to have this hdd organization under the very same share :

/Sharefolder Root/
    /Vol1-directory -> 100% Filesystem of physical HDD number01
    /Vol2-directory -> 100% Filesystem of physical HDD number02
    /Vol3-directory -> 100% Filesystem of physical HDD number03
    Etc….

Do I have to use fstab to mount all HDD/Filesystem under the sharefolder/volX-directory root, or is there an OMV way to do it please ?

Thanks.