Posts by ptprince

I'm aware of your stated problem.. but it has nothing to do with OMV and nothing to do with OMV over debian vs installing from the ISO, as you have stated several times. It's two roads to the same house in this instance. It was explained this is an issue with your router (truth is, I had it for years and didn't understand why.. but it never bothered me as it was an easy fix)

Did you read the link I posted?

Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with installing over Debian

Yes, I have read the link you posted, and I also ran almost everything in omv-firstaid but nothing changed.

I confused that there was no problem when I install from omv iso directly with the same network environment.

Also there was no problem if I just install debian.

So... maybe something wrong with my router.

Anyway thank you!

You've made almost this exact post in 3 threads in like 3 min. There is absolutely nothing wrong with installing over Debian, if it is done properly. I've done it this way more than I've used OMV iso's.

You had a DNS issue, it had nothing to do w/ OMV or Docker. Your server was not online, and thus when it tried to pull files from the docker repository, it could not pull them, thus resulting in the errors you were getting.

Yes, I had dns issue when I install docker.

I just set up a static ip to fix this dns issue.

But after docker installation, the container can't be used.

So I compared docker version,

the version will be 18.09.1+dfsg1-7.1+deb10u2 without issue when I install via omv iso directly.

the version will be 5:19.03.5-3-0-debian-buster(sorry I forgot definite version) with issue when I install omv on debian 10.

I installed docker from omv-extras both of them.

There shouldn't be any difference. If you use omv-extras to install docker, it is done the same either way. Based on your version, you installed docker from the Debian repos from the command line. omv-extras installs docker from Docker's repo.

I exactly install docker by omv-extras. But the docker version was different.

this is my procedure.

1. install debian buster

2. apt update && apt upgrade

3. install omv-extras

(3.5 install pve kernel. I tried both install and do not install )

4. install docker from webGUI

Hi,

Do you install omv on debian 10?

I also had this issue when I installed omv on debian 10.

not only portainer but also all docker container had not permission for listen port.

I gave up and re-installed via omv iso. The issue was resolved.

I can see the docker version is different.

Now my docker version is 18.09.1+dfsg1-7.1+deb10u2.

So I guess there is something wrong for docker when you install omv on debian.

Regards

Hi everyone,

I installed portainer, but I can see error: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:80 socket permission denied after I installed omv on debian 10.

Not only portainer but also all docker container had not permission for listen port.

I gave up and re-installed via omv iso. the issue was resolved.

I can see the docker version is different.

Regards

Hi,

Do you install omv on debian 10?

I also had this issue when I installed omv on debian 10.

not only portainer but also all docker container had not permission for listen port.

I gave up and re-installed via omv iso. and I can see the docker version is different.

Regards

Hi,

I have the similar issue,

When I isntall OMV 5 on Debian10, and using pve-kernel. the docker can't be used.

Docker can be installed, but when I run a container, I will get error "listen tcp xxxx(port) socket permission denied."

It still makes me confused.

Hi Fabrice,

Thank you!

Yes, I think there are some network problems.

I am using 10Gbe network card as default network at dhcp mode.

After I installed docker, the I can't do apt update or any network connection. But after I set nameserver 8.8.8.8 to /etc/resolv.conf, this issue was resolved.

However, for the network problems inside docker, still don't work well. I also tried the solution in that thread but not works for my environment.

It's my first time to install omv on debian, I don't know does this issue occur because of it.

Regards

12/28 Updated:

I had totally 3 times for OMV installation.

First time, I installed using omv iso directly, I used pve-kernel without this issue,

But to install to USB with omv iso, I need to change a small memory for swap.

So the second time, I install OMV on debian because I can turn off swap.

But I had this issue with pve-kernel.

The third time, I changed a CPU and install OMV on debian agian, and I still had this issue with pve-kernel.

I found some infomation that pve-kernel can't use docker. But why my first time worked fine????

Does anyone one have solution?

Thanks !

-----------------------------------------------------

Installed OMV on Debian buster.

I installed omv-extras and docker.

when I tried to install portainer, installation will be finished, but always restarting.

when I checked docker log (docker logs -f portainer), it seems like a network permission issue.

I tried install docker to /var/lib/docker or my path, I also tried install docker manually, but nothing changed for me.

When you copy partition to partition you do not copy the boot track. So even if all the partitions were perfectly copied, the disk with the copied partitions will not boot.

I use dd to clone disks and never had any problems, even when the copy "failed" due to the target disk being ever so slightly too small. What didn't get copied was merely empty space at the end of the disk that was not occupied by any partition because I shrank the partition slightly first.

Yes, as you say partition copy does not copy the boot track. so grub will try to boot from a bad block.

I think I learned a lot in this forum. Thank you so much !

My experience with the Clonezilla -icds option is that it does not work 100% of the time and the copy still fails. I have never bothered trying to see if a copy that failed that way actually worked anyway.

Thank you.

Now I know it is a good way to copy.

Yesterday I tired to resize boot partition to 14Gb and I would like to copy part_to_part. So I succeed in breaking my boot disk. T_T;(

Luckly, after I re-install the OMV in USB, all data was back.

I would tiry clonezilla with -icds option for backup system.

You can try again using Clonezilla and use the setting that tells it to not check for enough free space on the destination drive.

However, what I have done in the past is to use dd to clone the disk. In a case like yours it should tell you the copy failed due to inadequate space, but in almost all cases it is failing at the very end while copying empty space, not actual data.

Thank you !

I will try it again tonight.

Hope I can do it.

※Sorry for that I'm not a native English speaker.

Hi gays,

Please let me ask that is it possible to migrate OMV5.x from msata to usb key?

I'm using msata as system disk, using raidz1 on 4 disks, and raid1 on 2 disks.

I need to change motherboard, and new motherboard does support msata.(I know I can buy a msata-> sata adapter, but I want to save one sata port)

I would like to migrate OMV from msata to usb. but I can't find system backup feature in OMV. So I think copy to usb may be the only way.

Does anyone have the way to do it?