Beiträge von Xilinx

Hi Macom,

It was long so that if anyone else has to go through the same thing they know the history.

Thank you so much - that all worked wonderfully well :)

This is what I did following your advice:

1. Configuration information acquired from previous screen grabs and original config.xml file
    2. Set up Users in same sequence as before (using the same passwords as before that I had stored safely away)
    3. Set up each Shared folder with the privileges and ACL's
    4. Next set up SMB settings and add all the shares required
    5. Set up NFS shares

Hopefully will help someone else!

Hi,

I've used OMV for sometime, but 32bit machine was having trouble booting and running OMV 2.1 and no longer getting updates, so time came to build new 64bit machine and run OMV 5 series. I want to use the current RAID1 (3TB) data storage drives on the new machine.

This is what I have done so far:

1. Backed up data RAID1 drives to an external drive using Rsync for various folders

2. Extracted and stored config.xml file from 32bit machine

3. Taken screen shots of all the old installation's settings for use as guidance to recreate settings in new build

4. Built new machine and installed OMV 5.3.4

5. Installed data RAID1 drives into new machine and mounted drive - OMV 5 detects RAID1

6. Extracted and stored config.xml file from new machine.

7. Compared old and new config files to identify differences

I know that all the data is still in existance (as was) on the data drives.

What I would now like to be able to do is to set up all the original users, privileges, ACLs and shared folders on the new machine without losing any data or having to recopy from the backup (if possible for both these).

I've had a look on the forums for any clues and some say that:

"There is no way to restore "old settings" into a new fresh installation other than to configure them all by hand one by one in the web GUI."

"Taking screen shots of all the old installation's settings and using them as guidance when starting over from scratch is frequently suggested.

Also, you can read the old installation's /etc/openmediavault/config.xml file for reference purposes only. Everything that was configured is in there, but there is no mechanism available to use the file itself to restore all the settings into a new fresh installation."

and similar comments...

I have identified that there are some subtle differences in the config.xml files in the fstab part, specifically <dir>/media/yyy/zzz</dir> is now <dir>/srv/yyy/zzz</dir>, but I don't think I need worry about that.

There don't seem to be any differences in the <shares> <sharedfolders>

If I set up the same users (and their passwords) in the OMV 5 GUI will they access or reference the existing users present on the data drive?

Although it would be good, I'm guessing that I cannot copy across the <shares> <sharedfolders> section from the old config.xml to the new config.xml file to set them up.

If not, as above for users, if I use the information I took screen shots of the installation settings for the shared folders and re-entered the information into the GUI, would this access or reference the existing shared folders information?

I have seen that if I start to do an SMB share (of an existing shared folder), but don't complete it, I can see the directories in the path of the folder to share. Would it be safe to continue and set the share up (again)?

I'm trying to be cautious in my approach to save losing any data or having to recopy from backup....

Thanks for any help.