Posts by T-A-Z

I have received the following error while trying to delete a pool:

Now I have manually deleted the pool using zpool destroy, but I cannot create a new pool using the GUI. The only solution was to reformat the drives, probably because this generates new UUIDs.

I am running OMV on a 64bit machine (its a VM if that matters). Performing apt-get install -f showed no change (it ran through without any changes).

Btw, thanks for your help :)

now i was able to install by disabling some sources that i dont need anymore.

Do you remember which repository caused the problems? It appears that I have the same problems while installing.
    At the moment I have the following repositories enabled: OMV-Extras, Mono, Mono Testing, Plex, Plex for Plexpass (shell.ninthgate.se). I have also enabled pre-release and community-maintained updates in the Update Manager Settings, currently I have disabled the former.

This way the data is not plainly available on the drives. In case the drives are physically stolen, or defective and have to be sent back, the other party cannot recover the contents. The information on the drives is not confidential and does not require special protection, so this is sufficient to me.
    Besides, with AES-NI the encryption hardly affects the performance :)

Hi Aiakos,

you wrote me a PM regarding my personal setup. I think it's best if I just reply to you here.

My setup is built upon LUKS/dm-crypt because it is so tightly integrated in Debian. It consists of basically three steps:

• install a plain Debian 7 (Wheezy) on your system drive and setup encryption for the OS (this is an optional step in the installer). You only wrote about the two disks you want to use, but you should consider using a third small drive for the OS itself.
    • use the commands provided in this guide to add an OMV installation on top
    • install dm-crypt (apt-get install cryptsetup) and setup the data disks:

0. Remember that these steps will completely erase the contents of every selected disk.
    1. Create a keyfile for your disks. You can reuse the file if you have multiple disks.
    dd if=/dev/urandom of=/root/keyfile bs=1024 count=4
    chmod 0400 /root/keyfile
    2. Identify the disk you want to encrypt. lsblk or fdisk -l are your friends here. I will refer to the target disk as /dev/sdX.
    3. Create a LUKS Partition on your data disk
    cryptsetup --verbose --cipher aes-xts-plain64 --key-size 512 --hash sha512 --iter-time 5000 luksFormat /dev/sdX /root/keyfile
    See this guide for an explanation of the parameters.
    4. Mount the disk and create a partition. I am using ext4 in this example. Alternatively, you should be able to create the partition using the webinterface after the disk is mounted.
    cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdX luks-sdX --key-file /root/keyfile
    mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/luks-sdX
    5. Automatically mount the disks on boot.
    Create an entry like this in /etc/crypttab:
    luks-sdX /dev/disk/by-uuid/<<uuid>> /root/keyfile luks
    Replace luks-sdX with a name for the disk, e.g. luks-video, and <<uuid>> with the UUID of the disk (lsblk and blkid are your friends again).

Now if everything went successful your drives will automatically on boot and you can use them as usual. While it is possible to unmount the drives while the system is running, I do not recommend it as it will likely create problems with OMV.

Regards,
    Thomas